Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W model 500

Default S&W model 500

Hey,

does anyone on here own one of these? If so would you be interested in letting me shoot it? I'm thinking about buying one, but would like to shoot it first

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

Default Re: S&W model 500

I think that The Firing Line in Aurora has one that you can rent. But don't quote me.
    Just remember that if you rent from them, you have to use their ammo and they don't clean the weapons too well.

I'm not too worried abou how well it shoots. I just want to feel the kick before I spent 1300$. Thanks for the advice, I'll give them a call tomorrow

nice! what you gonna use it fer?

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

WINKY previously posted:
    "what you gonna use it fer?"

In case of a rabid buffalo attack!!! :lol:

or manbearpig attacks...

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I have put between 200 and 300 rounds through the S&W 500 with an long barrel up to around 485gr. This is a nice shooting gun with minimal kick for the size of round. It is also a very heavy gun which helps to minimize recoil. You get some muzzle lift, but not anywhere near what you are expecting, though not to the point where you can 'double tap'.

I thought the gun was surprisingly accurate as the very first round I ever put through one was a 25yard shot into a block of quartz the size of a squash wedged into a tree...and I am not a stellar pistol shot.

I personally wouldn't buy one simply due the size and weight factor which makes carrying one a bit of an issue. This, coupled with the size of the pistol ( I heard that S&W is doing a 4" version) at least with an long barrel, means that the only way that the only way you are going to be able to carry it is in a cross draw, over the chest style, hunting holster. Not the kind of holster that allows for a fast, emergency draw...

The above led me to purchase an AirWeight S&W 44 with a stubby barrel. It is a royal ******* to shoot because it is so light, but it is compact, lightweight, will fit in a shoulder holster rig, and will shoot 44 magnums. I didn't buy this gun for plinking. I wanted one for that, I would've gotten a 9mm. I can get two rounds into a torso sized target at 50' almost all the time, though not a double tap as the gun both bounces and twists due to it's light weight. This is good enough for me.

Incidentally, the 500 shoots WAY better than the 44 AirWeight. Easy to put a bunch of rounds through the 500 comfortably, where to shoot a bunch through the 44, you have to detune the rounds to low end 44 specials.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Forget that....if you're gonna buy a $1300 gun, get a Tiger Stripe gold plated Desert eagle :lol:

for $1300 you can get a stag arms 6.8 spc, like the one im getting.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Mporter previously posted:
    "Forget that....if you're gonna buy a $1300 gun, get a Tiger Stripe gold plated Desert eagle :lol:"

Yessir....put it in a nice display box and never use it, too. My guns are like my tools (they are a tool) and my heap...they get used and end up looking like it...

I hate the stuff that people are oh so proud of and have to show off. They drag you over to look at it (gold plated Desert Eagle, for instance) and you look at it and say "That's really nice" when you are thinking "What a waste of good money..."

Thanks for the info Brody, that's what I've heard about the gun. I had a Smith and Wesson 386SC (one the AirLite Ti ones) and it was stolen. the 4" model of the 500 is 10 1/4 inches long. I think it's going to be a little big to backpack with, but I wanted to see it in person. I'm not buying for a CCW weapon if I get that. Originally when I set out to replace my stolen gun I was trying to find something that would work as a back up gun, a CCW, and protection against bears while backpacking. Doesn't look like there's an ideal gun out there for all three.

I do not want a "display gun" it will be used frequently. I considered an assault rifle or any other rifle, but I don't think that will work out very well with my backpack.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Those are some of the reasons that I went with the AirWieght 44. It was light, packed a punch, small enough to both carry in a shoulder holster and relatively fast to draw. I needed something that I could carry when I had a big pack on filled with climbing gear on narrow and hard trails. I previously had a long barrel (like the S&W500) 44, Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk, I forget which one, that was more accurate and nicer to shoot, but way too heavy and awkward to carry. I tried the hunting big revolver style holster, but forget fast draws with that. I would have been mauled, eaten digested and turned into manure before I could draw it.

FYI, I managed to put a 300gr 44 hardened slug through an 10" tree from 30'. Except for the exit, it looked like it was drilled. Good enough. I want something to kill or maim a big animal and this combo would break about any bone it hit or go through a thick skull.

The biggest problem with my gun is that it is really no fun to just shoot. The magnum rounds actually bruise your hand and also heat up the cylinder after shooting 6 of them off so that you have to wait for it to cool down to reload. The 44 specials don't have this effect.

I'll look into the .44. I've been highly considering the SIG p229 DAK. It allows you to interchange the barrels between a 40 and a 357. I'm still torn if a high powered 357 round is gunna be enough. A lot of people seem to say that a .357 is the minimum for black bears, but they'd rather carry a 45. But then I've been told that a 45 doesn't have the penetrating power to do the job. I like the idea of being able to switch the barrels, then it can be used as a CCW, back up gun as a cop, and for protection on the trail, if a 357 is enough.

speaking of guns, just got word that my stag will be shipped in a month! who wants to go shootin!

WINKY previously posted:
    "speaking of guns, just got word that my stag will be shipped in a month! who wants to go shootin!

"

I'll go! Assault rifles are fun! I had a bunch of cop friends on CA that were shooting skeet with their MP5s and duty pistols. It took an entire clip to hit it, but they always got it lol

Medic-5150 previously posted:
    "I'll go! Assault rifles are fun! I had a bunch of cop friends on CA that were shooting skeet with their MP5s and duty pistols. It took an entire clip to hit it, but they always got it lol"

hmmm.... knowing that would have been a blast, but what a waste of tax money, no wonder Califlowernia is bankrupt.... :lol:

WINKY previously posted:
    "hmmm.... knowing that would have been a blast, but what a waste of tax money, no wonder Califlowernia is bankrupt.... :lol:"

lol yea, they wasted a lot of ammo, but it was way more fun than using a shot gun

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

"A lot of people seem to say that a .357 is the minimum for black bears"

There's an ex-Aspen policeman on here who frequently dealt with black bears that will tell you to stop a motivated bear one needs a 12ga slug. Me I would think a .357 would do the trick, but since you're looking at revolvers have you considered a Long Colt 45?

RockyMtnHigh previously posted:
    "There's an ex-Aspen policeman on here who frequently dealt with black bears that will tell you to stop a motivated bear one needs a 12ga slug. Me I would think a .357 would do the trick, but since you're looking at revolvers have you considered a Long Colt 45?"

I have not considered that. I'll see if I can find one somewhere. I know a 12 ga slug would be ideal but that's a little bulky ot be carrying around. I think the odds of actually having to kill a bear are pretty slim. Just the gun shot itself would probably scare it if I don't shoot the bear and piss it off. I'd like to know that whatever I'm carrying will kill the bear if I need to though. a .357 magnum seems big enough for a black bear, I know it wouldn't do anything against a grizzly, but last I heard/read there aren't any grizzlies left in the state...

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

"I'll see if I can find one somewhere."

I got a single action, it's the Long Colt replica made by Dakota Firearms, I like the way it shoots, b/c of it's weight there's hardly any recoil and it fits my hand nicely. Maybe we can meet sometime and plink a few. You're right, that's something the Aspen PD guy also said 9 times out of 10, the actual sound of the shot will scare them off.

Another option if you're willing to dish out that much coin is a 45 Win-Mag, it's actually a little cheaper for the gun itself than the 500, ammo ain't though. About 10 years ago it was $1.00 every time I pulled the trigger (not mine, my dad's) now probably about $3.00 a pull.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast