2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default OHV Registration

I have never seen anything about enforcement on these, never heard of them even being checked, but I like where the money goes so I buy it. They seem to change it every year too which would make ticketing (IMO) unfair.

https://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pag...xSDN6aG3FUNmVY

Off-Highway Vehicles (OHVs) include:
    Dirt bikes, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), utility-terrain vehicles (UTV)/side by sides (SxS), three wheelers and buggies, and;
    Plated, street-legal vehicles, full-size 4 x 4s or plated motorcycles when operating on public lands and/or OHV designated trails in Colorado.

What is Required to Operate an OHV in Colorado?
    All OHVs must have either a current/valid Colorado Registration Card and two Decals or one Colorado OHV Permit to operate in Colorado. This includes while in route, in staging areas and on public land roads and OHV designated trails.

Last Online
    45 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,024 Times in 2,012 Posts

Default Re: OHV Registration

Paul previously posted:
    "They seem to change it every year too"

For a designated "trail", I'm OK with buying a permit. I rarely visit trails and am typically on designated Forest Service "roads".

After spending time to research the program, I question the blanket statement of "public lands". Their grey area seems like a money grab to me - worthy money or not.

I welcome a wholesome chat on the program - not only OHV permit authorities but also Forest Service, BLM, state legislators sitting around answering the questions that always pop up.

Last Online
    12 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

I have been checked three times in the last four years but I also run a rig that requires OHV registration for all trails and roads.

Paul, what have you seen that changes every year?

Jim, the more full size vehicles that get the registration can lead to more money put towards projects for full size roads. It's very hard to justify getting money from the fund for a project that benefits users that don't contribute.

4. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to newracer For This Post:

Jim (March 4th, 2022),Tom (March 4th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

newracer previously posted:
    "Paul, what have you seen that changes every year?"

They've changed who it is required for, where it is required, the type of sticker and the location of it on the vehicle over the last few years. It's a process, things change, I just don't think it's fair to make a change and ticket right away for it. Just a thought, not a complaint. I buy it every year.

6. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Jim (March 4th, 2022)

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

I don't mind purchasing it either. If it helps keep our trails open that's a good thing. I feel fortunate that we are not limited to pay to play parks like they have back east.
    The other reason I’ll buy one is just to be legal anywhere I end up going with out wondering? Am I on a trail that requires one or not???

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to JandDGreens For This Post:

newracer (March 5th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Does CPW put up signs at trails / areas that need it? I can't recall any, but they are usually good about things. I just spent a minute searching for a map of OHV areas that require it- anyone know of one? That would be great!

Last Online
    12 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "They've changed who it is required for, where it is required, the type of sticker and the location of it on the vehicle over the last few years. It's a process, things change, I just don't think it's fair to make a change and ticket right away for it. Just a thought, not a complaint. I buy it every year. "

I have been buying one for over 10 years I have not seen those changes. What I have seen is a lot of incorrect information on forums and Facebook. I have heard of some FS staff in the field not knowing the correct information but it's not their program. The information from CPW has been consistent and correct.

Paul previously posted:
    "Does CPW put up signs at trails / areas that need it? I can't recall any, but they are usually good about things. I just spent a minute searching for a map of OHV areas that require it- anyone know of one? That would be great!"

I am not aware of a map but there is a list that is pretty complete.

https://staythetrail.org/full-size-trails/

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to newracer For This Post:

JRF (March 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

We've all had our own experience, but for sure there has been confusion:

https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums...V-Registration
    https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums...022-OHV-permit

a simple map or list of areas would be great. This is what they have on the site; they could clarify Public Land Roads and In Route:

"Off-Highway Vehicles (OHVs) include: Dirt bikes, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), utility-terrain vehicles (UTV)/side by sides (SxS), three wheelers and buggies, and;
    Plated, street-legal vehicles, full-size 4 x 4s or plated motorcycles when operating on public lands and/or OHV designated trails in Colorado.

What is Required to Operate an OHV in Colorado?
    All OHVs must have either a current/valid Colorado Registration Card and two Decals or one Colorado OHV Permit to operate in Colorado. This includes while in route, in staging areas and on public land roads and OHV designated trails."

I just buy it so I'm GTG wherever. I wonder if CPW would ticket or just warn anyway, most of the Rangers I've met have been pretty cool.

Michael- Where were you checked? On trail or trailhead? I'd guess you've seen more of it than most as I'd also guess CPW would focus on buggy / atv areas?

Last Online
    12 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Again most of the confusion is because of people giving incorrect information. CPW has been consistent. Although I agree there website is a little confusing.

I agree they should have a readily available list. Luckily for us Stay the Trail has a list, even it is missing at least two new routes near Grand Junction.

From what I have heard most would just give a warning if a street licensed vehicle didn't have one.

I have been checked on Kelly Flats, Moody Hill, and Chinamens. Each time was a pair of CPW rangers on dirt bikes. Moody was the first time I was ever checked. They were very cool and said their job was to go around the state and ride roads/trails looking for people without registrations/permits. One had a low front tire so I aired him up with my CO2 tank, he was very thankful.

14. The Following Member Says Thanks to newracer For This Post:

Java (March 6th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

"a pair of CPW rangers on dirt bikes."

That is one piece of forum info we can take as fact.

https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Page...ment-Team.aspx

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

"Again most of the confusion is because of people giving incorrect information. CPW has been consistent. Although I agree there website is a little confusing.

I agree they should have a readily available list. Luckily for us Stay the Trail has a list, even it is missing at least two new routes near Grand Junction.

From what I have heard most would just give a warning if a street licensed vehicle didn't have one.

I have been checked on Kelly Flats, Moody Hill, and Chinamens. Each time was a pair of CPW rangers on dirt bikes. Moody was the first time I was ever checked. They were very cool and said their job was to go around the state and ride roads/trails looking for people without registrations/permits. One had a low front tire so I aired him up with my CO2 tank, he was very thankful."

That list https://staythetrail.org/full-size-trails/ is on a different site than registration, and is useless, it is just a list of the most popular ones per the disclaimer under it; but on the page you can see the new sticker, which has changed. Kelly Flats, Moody Hill and Chinaman Gulch are not on it, neither is Tincup Pass which was discussed in this thread and everyone believed it was needed there: https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums...022-OHV-permit . You can see the old style stickers on that thread as well. Old Tincup Pass is on the list. Tincup pass is the way to Old Tincup, so techincally you are "in route" so you need it for Tincup Pass, or only if your intention is to do both? Is there a sign? Can I get a ticket for intention? There is no list, map or even good description; have you ever used the phrase "public land road" to describe where you were going? How does that differ from Forest Road or County Road, or are Forest and / or County roads Public Land Roads? If I went to Tincup Pass, Kelly flats, Moody Hill or Chinaman Gulch how am I supposed to know that I need a sticker?

If you look at the thread https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums...022-OHV-permit you can see that while I've made a little fun of them I've also posted something positive every year about this program, and bought the sticker. I am for this program, this is just discussion.

Last Online
    12 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "That list https://staythetrail.org/full-size-trails/ is on a different site than registration, and is useless, it is just a list of the most popular ones per the disclaimer under it; but on the page you can see the new sticker, which has changed. Kelly Flats, Moody Hill and Chinaman Gulch are not on it, neither is Tincup Pass which was discussed in this thread and everyone believed it was needed there: https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums...022-OHV-permit . You can see the old style stickers on that thread as well. Old Tincup Pass is on the list. Tincup pass is the way to Old Tincup, so techincally you are "in route" so you need it for Tincup Pass, or only if your intention is to do both? Is there a sign? Can I get a ticket for intention? There is no list, map or even good description; have you ever used the phrase "public land road" to describe where you were going? How does that differ from Forest Road or County Road, or are Forest and / or County roads Public Land Roads? If I went to Tincup Pass, Kelly flats, Moody Hill or Chinaman Gulch how am I supposed to know that I need a sticker?

If you look at the thread https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums...022-OHV-permit you can see that while I've made a little fun of them I've also posted something positive every year about this program, and bought the sticker. I am for this program, this is just discussion."

That list is not useless and it is fairly accurate. I do know of two new routes near GJ that have been opened within the last year that are not on the list.

Other than color, which changes every year, the stickers have not changed. There may be a difference between the stickers for permits and registrations.

An OHV permit is not required on Kelly Flats, Moody, and Chinamens for licensed vehicles. I frequently drive a unlicensed buggy that requires a OHV registration on any road or trail, that is what I was in when I was checked. That shows part of the problem, many people confuse and combine OHV permits with OHV registrations. Street licensed vehicles and out of state OHV vehicles (ATVs, side by sides, motorcycles, etc) get OHV permits and in state OHVs get OHV registrations. The "in route" part of the regulation only applies to OHV registrations, not permits.

The easiest way to determine if you need a permit for a street licensed vehicle is to check the MVUM, any "trail" requires a permit, "roads" do not. OHVs need a registration for all roads and trails.

18. The Following Member Says Thanks to newracer For This Post:

JRF (March 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

There are 60 trails on that list, thousands of trails and roads in CO. I'd say it's incomplete at best. This is the disclaimer:
    "Disclaimer: This is a list of the most popular full-size 4WD routes in Colorado which require an OHV Permit on plated vehicles used for recreational travel. Routes on this list are subject to change. Please refer to the most current, official travel maps available for each area. This route list is provided as current information at time of print. In addition to full size trails, OHV Open Areas exist in Colorado and may have additional vehicle width/type and permit requirements"

I guess official travel maps means MVUMs, so if the MVUMs are the only way we have to check then there should be a link and advice on how to use them to comply on the registration page. If travel maps means something else then there should be links to those too. That would be especially useful to people that are new to Colorado. If they really haven't changed anything in 10 years then they've had a consistent lack of information for 10 years, and a ridiculous one if they are creating new areas without simply updating the site. Maybe they are leaving it intentionally vague? 10 years of doing the same thing would suggest purpose, perhaps they want the flexibility. IDK. The links they provide on the registration page are:

Know Before You Go

Contact each public land management agency for their current motor vehicle-use rules, regulations, closures and agency maps. The Stay The Trail website and the free Colorado Trail Explorer (COTREX) trails app are additional resources for finding places to ride in Colorado.

Along with links to the MVUMs links to "each public land management agency" would be great. I guess those would only be state agencies? Using terminology like "Public Land Road" and "Official Travel Map" when "Trail" and "MVUM" already exist is unnecessarily confusing, just look at the threads on this site. Exactly what is an "Agency Map"?

The decals have a new process for this year too, looks like they've streamlined it a bit: https://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pag...ationsOHV.aspx

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

I actually use MVUMs all the time, I get them whenever I can and usually get extras to give out as well. I have this wall in my basement with clips that I use to hang maps when planning trips. I use online more really, but I like paper maps for the bigger view of things. Currently the MVUM for Pikes Peak is there, but I also checked Boulder, Clear Creek, South Park, South Platte and Divide and I do not think these will work for Full Size rigs, but I do see how they could for ATVs and bikes. The second pic shows the distinctions they make between roads, trails are only designated for 50" or less, motorcycles or not, but nothing differentiating a full size road from full size trail. Nothing about Public Land Roads. Each MVUM has it's own variations, for example Clear Creek only distinguishes between Highway Legal and All Vehicles, no trails or width designations. Pikes shows the most so I posted the map and details, but here are links to all of them: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc...telprdb5177824

Last Online
    12 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

The reason why they state "official management maps" is because each agency has something different. MVUMs are Forest Service maps but you also have BLM, County, State, and other federal lands that have their own maps. The majority of the routes are actually on BLM land. As far as I know that list is actually pretty complete, that's another reason why not many people buy the permits, there isn't many routes that require them.

The best example I can find right now is Jenny Creek. If you look at the MVUM it has a designation of "Trails open to all vehicles." Since it is a "trail" not a "road" a permit is required.

The reason many of the MVUMs do not have the designation for these routes is that they don't exist in the area. As far as I know the only ones on the Front Range that require the permit are Jenny Creek, the small portion of Tin Cup, Carnage Canyon, and the trails in Penrose Commons. Carnage Canyon and Penrose Commons are BLM land so no MVUM there. Everythign else is on the western slope and most are on BLM land.

22. The Following Member Says Thanks to newracer For This Post:

Java (March 8th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Awesome! I see it on the MVUM, it's the only trail with that designation on all of the ones I've looked at so far. So that is how you use an MVUM to see if you need the sticker for your street legal full size, just look for "Trails open to all vehicles". Thank you!!

24. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

newracer (March 8th, 2022)