4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Default The trailer thread

I have not found any trailer specific threads, so I started one. I know Sean has a trailer he wants to outfit for camping. Maybe others can post up their own ideas for me to copy as well.

My current hauler was in need of a VIN, which the State gladly provided in exchange for $50 and a completed DR 2049 "Statement of Assembly of Homemade Trailer."

Although mine has been off road to salvage recyclables, it's intended purpose is hauling. It started life as an F-250, so the hard work was done long before I got my hands on it. My initial build was quick and dirty. It's maiden voyage was to my dad's house to use his welder. You'd be amazed what can be done with a few bolts and a C-clamp.

Although it has worked hard without fail, I've wanted to finish tying to frame rails to the tongue. Before today, the only attachment points were the carrier bearing bracket, and the bottom lip of the frame rails. It is now unitized with the front, top, and bottom.

Carrier bearing mounting point and old tie-in. Looking at the back of the end plate, you can see some of the gaps that needed filling.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Default Re: The trailer thread

The top plate tacked in place, and finally, the VIN attached.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Just for fun, urban sliders! I'm off to buy a trailer jack.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Or the poor mans drag wheelie bar.

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Funny you should post this today. I just bought this M416 today. Very excited about the possibilities. I'm going to have Brody work me a lid very soon. But this is going to be a HUGE help with getting camping supplies to Moab.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Cool Aaron, here a nice informational thread on a nice trailer build by a local guy: http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech...up-thread.html

Not an M416 but lots of thought went into Drew's build. He's a great guy if you ever want to see his, I'll be seeing him this week.

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "Cool Aaron, here a nice informational thread on a nice trailer build by a local guy: http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech...up-thread.html

Not an M416 but lots of thought went into Drew's build. He's a great guy if you ever want to see his, I'll be seeing him this week."

I'll take a gander at it. 1st step, sandblasting. I need to do some research and see if that is a job for me or a job for paying someone...

Did I mention the Jeep and the trailer fit in the garage. Very cool!

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

And Anna's car too?

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Yeap. All three. I have a tandem 3 car but the tandem part is all workshop type area and storage. The pics show the jeep and trailer. In the well lit pic, you can see the tongue of the trailer behind the jeep...

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

There is ALOT to do with those M416 trailers.. I will start finding my old links again

Hey Mike, how did you figure out the weight for the form DR 2409 just guess at it?

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

1freaky1 previously posted:
    "Hey Mike, how did you figure out the weight for the form DR 2409 just guess at it?"

I was told to guess, so I did. One caveat was that 2000 lbs. and up put the trailer in a different category.

Since you didn't have to purchase any major components, or buy a manufactured unit, just write "materials on hand." in the big box.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1031695

I was asked the amount I'd sell it for, that's what the clerk used for the taxable value.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Hypoid previously posted:
    "I'm off to buy a trailer jack."

I wanted to wrap this up last night. On Saturday I went to the Chineese toolbox and bought a jack rated for two tons. This is what you get for $25, some assembly required.
    Name:  ALL_CATCH 284..jpg
Views: 334
Size:  38.7 KB

I chose to keep the task simple: Do the hard part on the bench. It was thoughtful of them to galvanize a weld-on part.
    Name:  ALL_CATCH 286..jpg
Views: 420
Size:  43.4 KB

A quick mock-up with tack welds before making it permanent. I think I'll be able to use this thing without banging my hands on stuff.
    Name:  ALL_CATCH 289..jpg
Views: 328
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  ALL_CATCH 288..jpg
Views: 338
Size:  33.2 KB

Time to put this thing to work! If I do anything else, it will be to make a better support for the toolbox mounted on the front.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Aaron previously posted:
    "I'll take a gander at it. 1st step, sandblasting. I need to do some research and see if that is a job for me or a job for paying someone...

Did I mention the Jeep and the trailer fit in the garage. Very cool!"

Having done an awful lot of sandblasting: big trucks, little trucks, cars, trailers, building, bridges, etc, etc, this is a job that whatever you manage to rent or buy to do yourself is simply not going to be enough. Your best bet is to take it to a place that specializes in sandblasting and have them do it. Be prepared to pay top dollar if they have to take the trailer apart to do it right. You are going to be better off taking the bed loose and the fenders (and anything else that you can unbolt) , strapping everything to the base trailer and then taking it down there. Also be prepared to replace the axle bearings unless you specifically tell them to NOT blast the areas around the ends of the axles and to cover the wheel areas. Sand will get in there and wreck the bearings if you don't and the 'sandblaster' is not going to be that careful without specific instructions to the contrary.

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "Having done an awful lot of sandblasting: big trucks, little trucks, cars, trailers, building, bridges, etc, etc, this is a job that whatever you manage to rent or buy to do yourself is simply not going to be enough. Your best bet is to take it to a place that specializes in sandblasting and have them do it. Be prepared to pay top dollar if they have to take the trailer apart to do it right. You are going to be better off taking the bed loose and the fenders (and anything else that you can unbolt) , strapping everything to the base trailer and then taking it down there. Also be prepared to replace the axle bearings unless you specifically tell them to NOT blast the areas around the ends of the axles and to cover the wheel areas. Sand will get in there and wreck the bearings if you don't and the 'sandblaster' is not going to be that careful without specific instructions to the contrary."

I've been re-thinking the sandblasting. There is not a lot of rust on the trailer so I'm thinking of using one of those drill based rust removers and remove the spot rust everywhere and immediately priming. This is what I did for the rack on the Jeep and it worked well.

When it comes time time to paint, I think I'll remove the tub from the frame so I can paint the entire tub and the entire frame separately. That may be this winter since I plan on using the trailer this summer regularly.

Question: When you run your finger over the paint, there is some residue. Obviously I can't paint over that. If I wash the tub with abrasive steel wool or something like that, should that be good enough?

Brody, the wires for the jeep should be in Thursday so I think I should be able to get there Thursday or Friday.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Aaron previously posted:
    "
    Question: When you run your finger over the paint, there is some residue. Obviously I can't paint over that. If I wash the tub with abrasive steel wool or something like that, should that be good enough?

Brody, the wires for the jeep should be in Thursday so I think I should be able to get there Thursday or Friday."

Denatured alcohol is going to be your friend here as it will remove all sorts of mystery residue without leaving any behind. If it were me, I wold take some regular engine degreaser, hose it down and run it through a carwash. Then use the denatured as a pre paint prep. If it isn't a glossy finish, you shouldn't have to use steel wool, but it sure wouldn't hurt, either. Green scrubby pads also work well and don't tend to leave as much mess behind.

Call me on either the cell or home number as far as Thursday or Friday goes, so I can plan around it.

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

If there is not that much rust, I would just spray some POR-15 rust converter on it, then repaint everything.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

It looks like Hypoid & Hypoid is rolling again, much to the despair of my little Cherokee. It turns out we were a little over our GVWR...quite a little.

Wow Mike it is sitting level with the Cherokee when you have that much weight in it! I got the tail lights done ended up buying a complete trailer tail light kit at Wally world $24.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

"I got the tail lights done ended up buying a complete trailer tail light kit at Wally world $24."

Wow, I forgot to mention, I think I changed the sockets in the Yota housings. I had all the trailers plug in to the '74, so I made everything work the same.

"Wow Mike it is sitting level with the Cherokee when you have that much weight in it!"

I thought it was a little high in the hiney when I was pulling it home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast