Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing Capacity

Default Towing Capacity

Is it possible to get more towing capacity out of your truck?
    Like if you had more Torque and bigger brakes?
    I can't find that anywhere on google.
    I tried.

So now I'm asking you
    : )

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Towing Capacity

It is never 'legal' to carry more than your vehicle was meant to carry (or tow). You can do things that make your rig more tow capable like more horsepower, suspension mods like airbags, better brakes, etc. However, you will still have plenty of components which just aren't ready for the increased demand of towing.

In other words you can do things to make your rig better at towing what it is supposed to tow, but you still shouldnt tow more than it was supposed to tow.

It doesn't even tow a small Uhaul Trailer.

It's supposed to have like 3000lbs towing capacity?

I'll look it up, just a second.
    Would More horsepower or torque be better for towing capacity?

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Zatticus previously posted:
    "It doesn't even tow a small Uhaul Trailer.

It's supposed to have like 3000lbs towing capacity?

I'll look it up, just a second.
    Would More horsepower or torque be better for towing capacity?"

What was the problem when towing? Rear Sagging? Can't go 55 on the highway? Really slow to get to highway speeds? Tranny slipping? Can't stop?

The fixes are obvious for each of those

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

keep in mind a good portion of the towing rating is based on the physical connection of the hitch to the vehicle. Is it bumper mounted? That will be your weakest and wont have much capacity. Plus if you tow anything, even within the capacity, chances are your bumper will start to sag. If it is frame mounted that is way better, but depends upon how it is mounted to the frame, welded or bolted, how well it is welded or bolted, how strong the frame is where attached, etc. Aaron is 100% right, if it isnt rated to tow it, it never will be. In order to really upgrade the capacity you would technically need to re-work just about every single thing on the vehicle.

I don't know actually,
    My mom just keeps saying that it won't, and thats why we still have a bunch of stuff in storage in missouri.

I can't find the towing capacity online, so i'll check when I get home, and find out why it wouldn't pull it.
    O.O

scout man previously posted:
    "keep in mind a good portion of the towing rating is based on the physical connection of the hitch to the vehicle. Is it bumper mounted? That will be your weakest and wont have much capacity. Plus if you tow anything, even within the capacity, chances are your bumper will start to sag. If it is frame mounted that is way better, but depends upon how it is mounted to the frame, welded or bolted, how well it is welded or bolted, how strong the frame is where attached, etc. Aaron is 100% right, if it isnt rated to tow it, it never will be. In order to really upgrade the capacity you would technically need to re-work just about every single thing on the vehicle."

It's just bumper mounted.
    I'll see about getting it welded to the frame, that will help a little, right?

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

"I don't know actually,
    My mom just keeps saying that it won't, and thats why we still have a bunch of stuff in storage in missouri.

I can't find the towing capacity online, so i'll check when I get home, and find out why it wouldn't pull it.
    O.O"

ah, well that changes the hole discussion! Moms (and some dads too) are notorious for saying your truck cant do things jsut because they dont think its safe, or that have heard it from someone, even if it totally is. That said, if you have the manual that came in the glove box it should prolly say so in there. It might also say on the sticker in the door frame?? dont remember if the list towing capacity there or not. I know they do on semis, which is why it is in my head, but honesly cant say I have looked for it on a regular truck. Note when you are searching that there are 2 different weights you will get, tongue weight and rolling weight. Both are important and mostly just depends on how you load the trailer.

If it is bumper mounted, I would not even think about driving it to missouri. I did it with my truck (here to missouri and back) a while back and it was a long bumpy and windy drive, and I think by the time you got there your bumper would be dragging on the ground. Look around on CL or go to uhaul and get a real frame mount hitch, and go for it with a small trailer.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

or pay me lots of money and rent me a trailer and I will get it for you

"or pay me lots of money and rent me a trailer and I will get it for you"

How much do frame mounted hitches usually run?

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

well, I just sold a class V (way more than your truck would need, or could handle) for I think $80 used.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1690975690.html

not sure if this fits your truck or not, as most people who sell these dont know there ass from a trailer hitch, but contact a few, drive your truck over and see if it lines up with your frame rails and clear your bumpers. If you get lucky the bolt holes may line up with exsisting ones on your frame, if not take it to someone on here to weld it on for you. Also check junk yards.

Edit: Even if it does bolt on, I think I would have someone run a few beads of weld on it just to be safe. I would do it if you wanted, but I dont think I would weld the hole thing on, just because I think a higher power welder would be safer for something like that. I am sure I could do it, but would hate to think it broke on your way there and stranded you and possibly hurt/killed someone with a runaway trailer.

"but would hate to think it broke on your way there and stranded you and possibly hurt/killed someone with a runaway trailer."

I've seen somebodys trailer fly off and jump the curb.
    It hit a bank.
    Hard.

Extremely funny to watch. I'd be pissed if it was mine though

I still don't have any money. Yet, I may be getting some for my birthday, Buy i'll probably end up spending it on stuff like a transfer case and whatever else I can afford.
    Or a new Head Unit.

Just depends on how much I end up getting from family.

3 more days!

Well, if I can't make my truck tow at a higher capacity,
    You can get older trucks that pull a good amount right?
    Like, if I did end up getting a rally car and building a prerunner and such, I'd need to tow them. at least the rally car.
    Thats like 5k lbs or so if I build it lightweight.
    And old trucks are cheap(ish)

They can still tow a lot right?

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

sure, if you buy when that can tow a lot! Although, you are not going to find one cheaper than the $80 hitch would be. Plus you need insurance and plates and titling fees It would be better to not put that kind of stress on your little truck though.

honestly, go to uhaul, rent a small box truck, or large van, tell them it is staying in state for 4 days, and drive home and get your stuff. Save the wear and tear on your truck.

" honestly, go to uhaul, rent a small box truck, or large van, tell them it is staying in state for 4 days, and drive home and get your stuff. Save the wear and tear on your truck."

LIES!

ahah,

I didn't mean I was going to go and buy a cheap old beatup pickup truck now.

Just a thought for when I start building cars.
    : )

I'll end up doing thats someday.
    When I get a job I'll go rent one and get everything

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

"I didn't mean I was going to go and buy a cheap old beatup pickup truck now."

oh sorry, i guess i just got lost in your A.D.D., A.D.D.-boy.

:O

Don't make fun of mee!

Uhall won't rent you the trailer to begin with! But adding power and stiffening the springs and better mount can help but carrying a load outside of you capacity is dangerious! The trailer and over take your truck which you don't at all! People pull heavy loads that are designed for a F350 with F150 all the time but when it goes wrong you will be sorry!

Your best bet is to sell the Ranger and get a real Truck like a F150 lol with 4x4

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

I have hauled a lot with my little ranger. Its towed a Explorer and a B2 back form the springs, with not much problem, but keep in mind i have the 5 spd, and was able to use good gear selection to make up for the lack of balls and such. I am not sure if it would have faired as well if it was an auto. Also i have put a 460 in the bed, 32 80lbs bails of hay in it(short trip less than 4 miles) and hauled all sorts of things from my friends. The little rangers are capable and such, but what all are you really hauling? I have a receiver hitch Class IV rated at 5000. And it has never failed me, but all the excessive hauling and towing i have done have taken its toll on my rear end. When i got it the back end never sagged or anything, now i need to replace the rear springs and shocks. So what are you towing anyway?

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

keep it mind just because you can doesnt mean you should, and also Missouri is a heck of a lot further than Colo springs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.