Thread: Khal's (A Trac) FJ CRUISER storage

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Khal's (A Trac) FJ CRUISER storage

Khal wanted some storage for the back of his FJ Cruiser and contracted me to do it for him. He needed to have a stout compartment with two sliding drawers that locked, a tool tray in one drawer, and have the ARB cooler and slide out be able to be supported when the cooler was pulled out.

Dimensions were very tight and the end result was that the cooler just fit with the seat on the cooler side down. Without the cooler, both seats were able to latch. All wood was sealed with a clear coat inside and out, indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowe's was used along with basic indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive, heavy duty drawer glides were used, and all attachment points used the factory mounting holes and hardware. The whole storage compartment can be removed by releasing the tension on the two turnbuckles on the front backside of the storage and removing the two drawers to access the inner mounts.

Here are some pictures:

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Khal's (A Trac) FJ CRUISER storage

Dang that looks really good pete

Looks great!

That turned out really well!!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Thanks! It was fun to do and challenging because except for one brief stopover by Khal, was done completely off of the initial poster board templates I made. There was probably a 5/16" margin of error overall for the entire outer part of the boxes where they fit into the back and the mounting holes had to line up. There was little room for error in making the entire box do to trying to get the most room and having to flush mount almost all of the hardware.

I thought it looked pretty good too. Most importantly was that Khal was happy with it.

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

Very nice, are the drawers on slides?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

RockyMtnHigh previously posted:
    "Very nice, are the drawers on slides?"

Thanks....but hey...you do some very nice stuff, too...Your idea using the turnbuckles? I was going to do something else, saw that and decided to not reinvent the wheel. Too simple and clever not to use.

I told Khal that the drawer Glides were going to be the kicker with a choice between adequate heavy duty $25-30 (Home Depo/Lowe's) or Rockler heavy duty $100-up. He said to use the best I could find without breaking the bank. I ended up using the best ones Depo had and greasing the hell out of them. They should work out just fine, but I was glad that the drawers weren't any deeper...

We did a custom built in for a loft remodel in downtown Denver (merely a $600K 'remodel') and the glides we had to use for what we needed them to do cost us close to $800....

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

I think the turn buckle idea came from someone on the FJ forum.

It's ridiculous how much those stupid guides are, they are some pieces of metal with bearings, it's one of the reasons I decided to do mine with just the compartment instead of drawers. Even the HD ones are a little steep, but unless he plans on sleeping in the drawers (Khal has been known to do some weird stuff) they should be more than adequate.

Very impressed how evenly you got the drawer faces to line up with the cabinet, you know what you're doing, be surprised how difficult that is for some people. I also like the latch idea, never would have thought to use those and to think you did all from a template, nice work.

"(Khal has been known to do some weird stuff)"

Tell me about it.

Thanks again Pete. Great job!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

"I think the turn buckle idea came from someone on the FJ forum.

It's ridiculous how much those stupid guides are, they are some pieces of metal with bearings,

Very impressed how evenly you got the drawer faces to line up with the cabinet, you know what you're doing, be surprised how difficult that is for some people. I also like the latch idea, never would have thought to use those and to think you did all from a template, nice work."

After seeing yours, a compliment from you is a compliment indeed! Thanks. And this was at the 'garage' shop, not the cabinet shop...but it was for storage in a 4x4, not someone's super deluxe kitchen or home.

The really expensive ones we used in the loft project were to hold a stainless steel and ebony door we built (and built the cabinet for) that was about 2 1/2 feet wide and 8' tall. It had to both swing out and return back into the side of the cabinet so that all the audio/video stuff could be accessed without blocking the hallway. Very expensive glides those were....Worked well and looked very sharp, too.

The turnbuckle was just to clever not to use. I had bent a template up out if some thin stock to use as this cosmic rear hold down, saw the turnbuckle and went"That's it."

There was a bit of finger crossing with the template build. After I glued and screwed the top on, there was really no way to go back in and adjust the front mounting holes if they were off by a little bit....at least not without some real grief. And I had to have the top finished in order for me to install the carpet and the ARB cooler mount...

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Pretty cool Brody! :fing: You have been putting out some slick FJC customs!

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Nice work, Pete. PM what it would cost to do a similar setup in my FJC, minus the cooler setup. I need something like that at some point.

Last Online
    January 31st, 2015
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Roo
    Real Name
    Reese
    Thanks Given

Looks great! Great job Pete!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Thanks again for the compliments on this! It was fun to actually do some woodwork vs steel work for a change.

If anyone is interested in getting something similar to this storage done, please contact me through either a PM, phone call 303-507-3066 or 303-761-4818 or via my email: peterbrody4@gmail.com and we can set a time to get together and discuss what exactly you want. Part of the pricing will depend on exactly how much of the finish work (ie: carpet, painting, sealing) that you are willing to do as that all adds up, and what kind of materials that you want to make it out of. I can basically build these out of anything except aluminum and I am working with my neighbor on being available for the aluminum welding stuff.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "I can basically build these out of anything except aluminum and I am working with my neighbor on being available for the aluminum welding stuff."

Woohoo...got a 10 minute job for you already.

You should pimp yourself out on the blue room Pete

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Lysmachia previously posted:
    "You should pimp yourself out on the blue room Pete "

X2, in the Colorado sub-forum. Lots of FJC owners around here who need stuff like that.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Good ideas, I'll give that a shot, though I am really not wired to 'multi forum' very well, having my hands full with this one. I have been relying on people who have liked my work (and work ethics) who are involved on a lot of different forums to recommend me for stuff like this and to maybe just copy and paste my pictures and contact information on other forums. Most of the people who I have done custom stuff for have said that they would do this and I have just assumed that they have.

Certainly could use the work, though.

Brody previously posted:
    "Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product."

I'll have to Pm you with some info I need to get a that done to my rig with a couple tweaks to it, I want to take out the back seat and have it level to where the seat reach making a little storage area underneath where the back passengers feet would be. I have no use or want for the back seat and would like to camp out in it if needed but will eventually will get a rooftop tent or a trailer, but would also like the ability to be able to just throw air mattress in the back.....might even have the draw a drawers a lot lower or not even there and use the space below for storage of something...was thinking my amp but I want to mount that up top somewhere in the back.

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Nice job Pete!

I feel your pain on the drawer slides. My slides cost over $100 because of the length of the drawers - nothing anywhere would work so they were a special order thing. I wanted my drawers to slide almost all the way out as well, while holding a ton of tools and spare parts. The slides I got were rated at 250lbs per pair extended. PITA to work with. I ended up making mine slightly different than yours - the drawer face covers the whole end, rather than being recessed - this way I could make the drawers as large as possible, and those slides eat up some room too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast