4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Default Computer Repairs

I have a hp dv5 1125nr laptop. it no longer starts. It turns on then just keeps restarting over and over. or goes to the blue screen of death very rarely. Does anyone know of a computer repair place that is reasonable? after this problem started occurring i tried reloading the os completely and that failed to help the problem. I really would like to try and get it fixed because i really liked the laptop. And if i could get it fix for a reasonable price i don't have to buy a new, that odds are i would probably not like as much. Any suggestions of help is more than welcome

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Computer Repairs

How old is the laptop?

I could probably fix it, depending on the problem. It may take some time to diagnose, and I'm not sure when I will have a lot of time to work on it...but I'm sure I can do it, and we could work out a price that is reasonable I'm sure.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Andrew previously posted:
    "How old is the laptop?

I could probably fix it, depending on the problem. It may take some time to diagnose, and I'm not sure when I will have a lot of time to work on it...but I'm sure I can do it, and we could work out a price that is reasonable I'm sure."

The laptop is 2 years old, but when i bought it was one of the more upgraded platforms in my price range so i really rather fix and upgrade rather than go buy a new laptop. If i knew more about computers i might be able to tell you more about it. All i know is i turn it on, it gets into a constant loop where it keeps restarting then after about 5 min of that loop it gives the blue screen of death. But hey if you think you can fix it i more than willing to consider it. Its not a huge priority because i have the 's old laptop. It just sucks because its like 5 years old and the sound drivers crashed and i can't get them to work anymore.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Have you tried holding down the f8 key at start up and then clicking on 'last known good configuration'? Sounds like you have something else going on as a root virus or a trojan from some site will cause this to happen, but you may want to try this first. If your computer boots up, you can also boot into 'safe' mode and try sticking the Windoze CD in and clicking on 'repair existing Windoze'.

If you can get the computer up and running, you may want to download the free AVG Anti Root Kit and run that.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Almost sounds like a BIOS issue (the little chip on the motherboard that tells the computer what it is and stores basic drivers). Have any way of taking a video of the screen as it boots up? You may be able to reflash the BIOS chip. It could just be a weird setting where you accidentaly changed it. Oh, just to make sure, since we are all idiots on occasion, but is there a disk in the CD drive or floppy if it has one?

JH

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

There's lots of things that it could be. Bad hard drive. Overheating issue. Corrupted install of Windows. Virus. Tough to tell without seeing it. But just PM me if you would like me to take a look at it sometime. I don't know when I could get down there or you could get up here though.

What I would do, in the case that there was not any data on the laptop you need, or if we can back it up first, is a complete wipe of the hard drive and reinstall of windows. If it makes it through the install and does the same thing afterwards, then it's a hardware problem. If it works fine, then something was corrupted - but it could still be a hardware issue - bad sectors on the hard drive or a bad stick of memory which is causing file corruption.

One thing to try is to go into the BIOS (Setup) when it first starts. It's usually by pressing the F2 or Del key or similar - it should say. There might be a disk check where it will run a scan on your drive and come back with any errors it finds. Depends but the HP's here have that.

One thing to try if you can F8 and get into safe mode as Brody suggested is to go to Start > Run and type in the following and hit OK:

sfc /scannow

This will scan system files and replace any that are damaged. It may ask for your windows CD.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

I am computer savy enough to have already tried the F8 trick, safe mode, and i even reinstalled windows, and that still didn't fix the problem. It was having a periodic overheat issue before this issue started occuring. so i bought a cooler and only used it with the cooler running on my desk. there is no cd in the drive, and no floppy drive.

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

When you reinstalled did you completely format the hard drive? I think the best place to start would be a scan of the hard drive.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

I wiped the drive started from the ground up. comp science in hs taught me enough to do that lol alright i'll try that in a bit when i get some time. working on stupid online college classes, one day they better be worth it. cause there a pain in the ass