Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone running with rear sway bar disconnected?

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

Default Anyone running with rear sway bar disconnected?

I know that disconnected front sway bars is advantageous for articulation. But what about the rear? I keep seeing mixed thoughts on other sites about whether or not it should be done. Would it be more dangerous on the trail? Would it be easier to roll? I know it would be horrible for on road driving, but I was just curious as to whether or not it would help with trails (aside from smoothing out the ride). The rear bar is tiny compared to the front (about the thickness of a finger).

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Anyone running with rear sway bar disconnected

I can't speak to your truck but will share my experience with mine. Long story made short, I removed them a few years ago before heading to Moab and never put them back on and don't notice much change at all. I have a bit more roll on highway interchanges but that's about it. My springs are quite stiff which makes a difference and removing them provides much greater articulation. I know they make quick disconnects for Jeeps and think you'd like the articulation you'd gain and the ease of reconnecting for on road use.

Why not get yourself some quick disconnects? Be sure to make sure your break lines are long enough. I know I have to get longer lines for the 'burb before I take the sways off.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

My truck doesn't have sway bars front or rear. Doesn't seem to bother it at all. It isn't a performance vehicle by any means though.

Hehe, I didn't run front or rear sways on the Forester either. Does make it tippy on the road, but I didn't drive it fast. Got a FSB on there now.

front and rear are gone on mine

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

That's what I was thinking. I have homebrew quick disconnects up front. A clevis pin, a cotter pin, and some washers for less than $10 sounded better to me than $50 or so for the JKS or other brands, especially considering that whenever I get my lift, I'll have to replace the links anyway to accomodate. I'm not sure if I can do this in the rear or not, so I may have to spring for some rear disconnects...eventually. Tippy trails wear on my nerves, but Ashley loves them and loves to torture me by driving on them. Even after rappelling out of helicopters and such, my pucker muscle acts up on tippy trails. I was thinking that with the rear disco'd it might even out the ride in the cab and put me at ease, even if it's a false at ease.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

BlackRubi previously posted:
    "Even after rappelling out of helicopters and such, my pucker muscle acts up on tippy trails. I was thinking that with the rear disco'd it might even out the ride in the cab and put me at ease, even if it's a false at ease."

I wouldn't discount the pucker factor in keeping you and your rig safe. That's what it's there for. "False at ease" might get you in trouble. Not saying you shouldn't disconnect, though.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Most of the people I know who have the rear sway bars on long wheel base rigs never re connect them once they have disconnected them. What I understand on a short wheel base rig such as a Jeep, you will get way too much body sway in off camber situations...the exact opposite of what you want.

Here is a link to what TerraFlex offers for an adjustable rear sway bar for around $90

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_in...ducts_id/39043

This isn't a bad price for what you get, but it is lift height specific. They don't look like they would be too hard to fab up, but you would need some old shock parts to do it, plus a welder, plus some tubing. In other words, by the time you fabbed or had someone fab a couple up, you would have been better off simply buying the parts. What I would suggest is that you purchase something like this and modify it to fit your lift.

Here are a couple of links for modifying the rear sway bar on a budget:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...bar_Discos.htm

And here is a link to the JKS adjustable rear sway bars...for $45 bucks, too, which is a steal for what you get:

http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/share...rce=googlebase

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Well I took my rear sway bar off and threw it away.

But on the 1st Gen Xterra if you leave it on and wheel it, you end up with the bar punching dents in your shocks.

I haven't noticed any difference in on-road handling...but that varies on the truck

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Most of the folks I know that have similar set ups like yours have done the same thing. I think the big difference is simply the wheel base and weight. You have both, as do Land Cruisers, but what I found on the Jeep forums and other information on the rears, it seems like no one runs with the rears disconnected on anything except the bigger XJs...Gotta be a reason...

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Yeah those small light Jeeps would probably feel very uncomfortable on-road without sways.

i have both MIA on my dodge, i dont notice them gone. I towed about 8000 lbs from arkansas to here with zero issues.

You should be fine. Re-connecting the front sway bar for road driving is a good idea.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Yeah those small light Jeeps would probably feel very uncomfortable on-road without sways.

My truck doesn't have sway bars front or rear. Doesn't seem to bother it at all. It isn't a performance vehicle by any means though.

i have both MIA on my dodge, i dont notice them gone. I towed about 8000 lbs from arkansas to here with zero issues.

What we need is input from someone with a small, light, short wheelbase Jeep. The handling characteristics, sans REAR sway bars, are going to be totally different. Like I said, all the research I did on rear sway bar disconnects on the smaller, non XJ, non Grand Cherokee, non Grand Wagoneer, Jeeps it seemed that no one was disconnecting the REAR sway bars, but was doing adjustables in the rear.

Bigger, longer and heavier rigs quite obviously do not have an issue with them being removed altogether. Maybe someone from the Land Rover Discovery side can chime in here as this set up is very similar to what is on the shorter, lighter Discos.

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "it seems like no one runs with the rears disconnected on anything except the bigger XJs...Gotta be a reason"

Dumped them on the xj both front and rear, to big of a pita to reconnect. My disco never had them on when i owned it. The full size chevy's only have them on the front and i alwasy dump those right away. On a wrangler i would probably run a anti rock in the front and nothing in the rear.

Last Online
    January 10th, 2020
    4x4
    89' K5
    User Name
    sunk
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

I dont know what my truck would even ride like with sway bars...

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

sunk previously posted:
    "I dont know what my truck would even ride like with sway bars..."

X2.. Never had them

Brody previously posted:
    "Yeah those small light Jeeps would probably feel very uncomfortable on-road without sways.

What we need is input from someone with a small, light, short wheelbase Jeep. The handling characteristics, sans REAR sway bars, are going to be totally different. Like I said, all the research I did on rear sway bar disconnects on the smaller, non XJ, non Grand Cherokee, non Grand Wagoneer, Jeeps it seemed that no one was disconnecting the REAR sway bars, but was doing adjustables in the rear.

Bigger, longer and heavier rigs quite obviously do not have an issue with them being removed altogether. Maybe someone from the Land Rover Discovery side can chime in here as this set up is very similar to what is on the shorter, lighter Discos."

All the Samurai guys pretty much just get rid of the swaybar front and rear, which is about as short wheel base as you can get. That thing handled very well with very little body roll, but its pretty lightweight, and had relatively stiff springs on it. That said, I wish I had something like the Currie Anti-Rock on my rig, at least in the front. I get a lot of body roll, which seems to come hand in hand with a lot of lift and articulation. Sooner then later, I'd like to lower my rig a bit to reduce that. I feel really unstable on off camber stuff, and a lower CG would be better.

In the days when I did more to my Subaru then drive it, I read up a bunch on the sway bar deal. I know that not having it will effect the handling of the car, or more basicly making it stiffer increases oversteer, and softer (or in this case gone) will make the rig understeer if you delete it in the rear. Essentially, having the front stiffer then the rear equals understeer, and the front softer then the rear will tend to make the back end kick out more readily. Not sure you'll notice that as much in a Jeep, but it could be an issue to think about beyond the body roll issue. For what its worth, I'd just take both off and deal with a bit of body roll. I've gotten used to it in the Toyota, and know the limits. Its not like you are driving it like a sports car or anything. The cool thing about them is, you can reinstall them if you don't like how it handles after taking them out. Should be easy enough to just disconnect the sway bar ends, tie it up and just drive it around for a while to see how it drives. Your Jeep is low enough to the ground that I don't think you'll get as much body roll as you might think. Go with that 6 inch lift and big tires, and you might notice it a bit more, but for now I think you'd be fine without either the front or rear swaybar.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Haku previously posted:
    " For what its worth, I'd just take both off and deal with a bit of body roll. I've gotten used to it in the Toyota, and know the limits. Its not like you are driving it like a sports car or anything. The cool thing about them is, you can reinstall them if you don't like how it handles after taking them out. Should be easy enough to just disconnect the sway bar ends, tie it up and just drive it around for a while to see how it drives."

Took the words right out of my mouth, Josh! Yes, indeed, just disconnect the back and drive it around, preferably in town and not on the trail and see how it handles. Both Josh and I (and probably everyone who has ever done an SAS with soft springs on a Yota) has had to modify their driving to suit the vehicle. And, again like Josh said, it ain't a sports car...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast