2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Got a new rig....

Fordboy77 previously posted:
    "I totally have about 5 rolls of hot pink, glad to hook ya up with it. used it to tape my gfs brother to a tree in a park. What a great day that was"

How long did you leave him up there?

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

DrUnit previously posted:
    "
    How long did you leave him up there?"

Haha only about 2 hours. it was a long time coming thou. totally worth it.

Last Online
    January 21st, 2018
    4x4
    97 Dodge Ram 1500
    User Name
    KnuckleHead
    Real Name
    Happy
    Thanks Given

Ok, I've been messing around with the new rig when I have the time and checking things out. Trying to get a feel for what I need to do and what might have already been done. I was under it today looking at the trans and drive line. From what I can tell I have the 700r4 trans which I have read is to be good. I have also figured that I have the 10 bolt front and rear. Also found out that my body mounts on the front are toast and have been rigged with some rubber and a bolt that is to long. Easy fix on that one.

As for the 10 bolts: I have read that they are very weak. As I'm not really made of money, I was wondering if I really need to swap them out for a 12 or 14 bolt? My wheeling is very limited as I am still new to it and don't hit the harder trails. Would they last me awhile till I get different ones?

Also the PO painted the rear axle and springs red, not big deal, but I noticed that there are blocks under the springs. Now I might be getting a lift here in the next few weeks but am unsure now if I really need it. Can anyone tell me how to tell if this is stock or if it might have a lift already? The block is 3in on the taller end. The front of the truck has the $20 AutoZone extended shackle kit..... on the drivers side the the spring is in the 2nd of 3 holes (middle) .... the passenger side is in the 3rd hole ( lowest). The truck seems to sit level but I don't think it should be that way....????

And 1 more thing... I have been checking CL out and have seen a used 4in lift that will fit my truck. Is it ok to get a used one or should I spend the extra few dollars and get t new?

Thanks to all that respond with help.......

Last Online
    April 25th, 2014
    User Name
    edog
    Real Name
    Erik
    Thanks Given

Nice! Looks like it's ready for the trails.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Similar discussion going on with GM lifts on this thread.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...-Suburban-LiftYour 10 bolts are going to be fine until you start doing hard trails. The 10 bolt is not known for being a really strong axle and don't hold up to hard use. Somewhere down the road if you find yourself wanting to do hard stuff, then start looking for axle upgrades.

I don't know what is going on with the shackles. It could be that the spring on one side is flagged out. Keep your eyes open for some replacements.

Think about doing the shackle reversal for the rear. Pictures are posted in the above link so that you can see what I am talking about. Also Nick mentioned some other alternatives to the shackle reversal.

Jeff mentioned the 4" drop down kit and gave some links to that, also in the above link. If you found a couple of body mount bushings already damaged, then consider replacing them all with a body lift. You are already going to have to do the same amount of work and this will give you enough lift to clear larger tires without spending a bunch of money.

Do try to get rid of the blocks in the back, though. They may be OK for the street, but off roading puts more stress on them and if they blow out, it will cost a bunch of money. Do either an add a leaf for 2-3" of lift or break your spring pack down and have the folks at Midwest Spring re arch them for $7-8 per leaf.

Last Online
    January 21st, 2018
    4x4
    97 Dodge Ram 1500
    User Name
    KnuckleHead
    Real Name
    Happy
    Thanks Given

Thanks Pete,

I was keeping up with the thread on the Burb lift till everyone started getting out of hand a bit. I found the lift that I might get which does come with blocks. I know that they are a bad idea and found a place here in Colorado that sells the 4in shackles. Was more less trying to figure if this rig has a lift already? If so then I can just order the shackles which would save money.

As for the body mounts, you read my mind. Why put on stock when they will just be coming off anyway.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Noticed that 'out of hand', didja? Me too. Shoot me a couple of pictures of the rear springs/shackles as they are now on my email when you get a chance : peterbrody4@gmail.com

I'll see if I can answer that from the pictures.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Here is what Jeff Posted on the other GM lift thread:

The t-bar lift will wear out those tires without new UCAs (to correct camber) That makes the so-called 'budget' lift about $600.

My reco:

RC 4" lift kit 274S HK $970
    AAL $100
    Shackles $60
    Tires $800
    TOTAL $1960 +tax

I understand this is a little over budget. I also don't know the price of part 89501. Autotrac will cause a problem (DS) if you have it.

I recommend you call RMSP at 1-800-521-4908. They can explain the pros/cons without everybody's egos involved.

Info:
    ---
    4" & 6" Front and rear crossmembers, differential drop brackets, drop torsion bar brackets with RCX laser cut logos, kicker braces, upper and lower control arm drops, massive steering link coupled with a heim joint assist link, Rough Country's front and lower skid plates with RCX laser cut logos, and four shocks. Rear includes blocks & u-bolts.
    Shock boots sold separatly. Vehicles with Autotrac require drive shaft change.

4" lift kit - 94-99 Suburban, 4-door Tahoe/Yukon (4-Door Tahoe/Yukon require crossmember drop kit part no 89501) All models require rear sway bar links part 1038

For a budget lift of a bolt in kind, this works fairly well. I haven't had a problem with any of the Rough Country stuff I have either used or installed. Part of your lift will depend on how much $$ you have to spend. Waiting for the pictures still...

Last Online
    January 21st, 2018
    4x4
    97 Dodge Ram 1500
    User Name
    KnuckleHead
    Real Name
    Happy
    Thanks Given

Thanks again Pete. the only diff here is that mine is a 84 K5. I don't have T-bars and all the IFS. This is a solid axle front. I found a RC 4" lift on their site for $320.00 plus shipping. The only down side is that it comes with blocks for the rear. I checked out my rear shackles and it looks to be easier and cheaper to just reverse and flip them, just need to get stock U bolts. Next would be finding just the parts for the front. I have seen a couple of used 4" lifts on CL and thought about picking them up to use what I need. Just not sure if a used lift would be any good or not.?

P.S. Sending you the pics of the rear end via E-Mail today....

I have some used front lift springs that will fit your K5. They are about 3" lift, and I am unsure of the brand. I also have the D44/10bolt raised steering arm. PM me if you are interested in any of these parts.

Last Online
    January 21st, 2018
    4x4
    97 Dodge Ram 1500
    User Name
    KnuckleHead
    Real Name
    Happy
    Thanks Given

colomil previously posted:
    " PM me if you are interested in any of these parts."

Tried to PM you but your box must be full.... PM your asking prices and I will get back to you. Thank you

im happy for u happy. what ever happened to the bug?

Last Online
    January 21st, 2018
    4x4
    97 Dodge Ram 1500
    User Name
    KnuckleHead
    Real Name
    Happy
    Thanks Given

Roostercruiser previously posted:
    "im happy for u happy. what ever happened to the bug?"

Thank you, As for the Bug.... well time were/are tough so we had to sell it to help make ends meet.... Was very sad to see it go. Was really hoping to have it built enough at least for this summer. But hey s%*t happens right. Maybe when things pick up and get back to how they should be we'll get another one and give it a try again.

Last Online
    January 21st, 2018
    4x4
    97 Dodge Ram 1500
    User Name
    KnuckleHead
    Real Name
    Happy
    Thanks Given

Post Re: Got a new rig....

Well this is the newest truck we just added.... Traded the SO's little Subi for this 1978 Chevy Silverado.... long bed, 4x4, strong aftermarket rear bumper, said to have a 305 with a 2 brl carb, hidden 5th wheel, true dual exhaust, dual gas tanks, oh and least I forget..... a 14 bolt rear end that I am going to steal and put under my Blazer..... Think I'm going take the front 10 dolt also as it has the 8 lug spindle/tires.... She is not going to wheel it so she doesn't need it.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Nice nice

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Nice way to get some axles...and still end up with 2 running vehicles...with the beefy axles under the wheeler, of course...Or....keep the Blazer as is, give it to your SO, chop the frame on the truck, bob the bed....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12