Thread: Recycling and a reason why

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Recycling and a reason why

I don't know how many people recycle stuff, I know that we recycle almost everything, but if you don't or need a reason (beside the obvious) to start, maybe you should look at some of this. It is known as the Great Pacific Garbage Dump and has been estimated to be between 270,000 square miles in size and 5,800,000 square miles in size. The last figure is bigger than the continental United States. Is simply floats and swirls around in the Pacific Ocean. It also doesn't happen to be the only one and we have managed to put it there all by ourselves....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_P..._Garbage_Patch

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/tra...-garbage-patch

Oh...and there are conflicting stories around this, to be sure, but one thing is for sure: we are screwing up this planet faster than we are ever going to fix it. Still doesn't hurt to remedy the situation as best we can though....
    Makes me glad that LaDawn and I don't have any kids or grandkids. It would be like willing them a garbage dump...

Default Re: Recycling and a reason why

as i agree with you, we as consumers if we recycled 100% of our garbage, someone somewhere is still throwing stuff into the waters,lakes,streams,rives oceans and this will happen. it is unfortunate but until the earth is free of the human race we as mortals will continue to ruin it... sad really we are the creators of our own demise and because of greed and the monetary system we cant get past ourselves and do whats right... but then theres no money in it so no one does anything....

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

I think that we rarely even put 1 bag of trash out each week. Basically, everything that can be recycled in our household is. Plastics, cardboard, metals, paper, oil, antifreeze, etc. Probably one of the largest contributors to our trash is dog poo. Anyone want to find a way to "re-use" it?

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Patrolman previously posted:
    "I think that we rarely even put 1 bag of trash out each week. Basically, everything that can be recycled in our household is. Plastics, cardboard, metals, paper, oil, antifreeze, etc. Probably one of the largest contributors to our trash is dog poo."

Sounds exactly like our household. And if I miss the hard-to-recycle day each year, I run that stuff down to Eco-Cycle in Boulder. I don't have a clue how to reuse or recycle dog poop, though. Soylent Brown?

Pete, if you can find a copy of "Red Dwarf: Better Than Life," read it, especially the section titled "Garbage World." It's fiction (based on the BBC's "Red Dwarf" series in the '90s), but Grant and Naylor might be on to something when they turn Earth into the garbage dump of the solar system. We're already headed that way.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Thanks for the book idea. I read about 6-8 books a week, so it's always nice to have another author in the mix!

How about for the doggie poo recycling, we use this to feed thieves?...

Turns out that America is only responsible for about 80% of the plastic waste in that horror show....

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

I forgot to mention some of the WORST stuff that doesn't get recycled all to often. Rechargeable batteries, thermostats, and CFL bulbs. We have found places for all that stuff as well. In addition, we make sure our electronics are recycled and that hazmat materials are properly disposed of or recycled. It really doesn't take a big effort and is well worth the time. The only thing that typically costs to get rid of is hazmat materials, but still it is worth the $.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

The only thing I have to say is everyone should quit buying so much crap that needs to be recycled.

I lived in Seattle for 7 years. There it was the law to recycle. Garbage men would inspect your bags to make sure as they were on their routes. This was a wonderful idea!
    Now for the other side.
    I participated in the recycling program for several reasons:
    It was the law
    It gave me piece of mind
    IT WAS FREE!
    all bins were given to residents free of charge. There was no fee to get ANY recyclable materials picked up. non, zero nada...

I have not recycled since, nor will I pay someone to recycle for me so they can make a buck.

I do however frequent the street corners holding my sign: "will work for carbon credits"

here is a good article regarding the legitimacy of recycleing from the world leader of doing it, Sweeden http://mises.org/story/2855

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

greenramp previously posted:
    "
    I have not recycled since, nor will I pay someone to recycle for me so they can make a buck.

]"

Personally, I recycle ALL my stuff for no charge. The only thing I have to pay to get rid of is the haz mat stuff. Antifreeze, brake fluid, acids, oil gas, etc. That is $20 and is once a year for Littleton/Englewood at a drop off location. Otherwise, I have found ways to recycle all other items 100% free of charge.

I agree to disagree. the space taken up by these collectables, the time wasted in cleaning and separating them, and unless you are hauling them with your bicycle, the air polution caused by hauling them, negates the purpose of doing it in the first place.
    You are buying a piece of mind.

Proven theory on the similar note. An electric car has more impact on the environment than a (typical) gas driven one in its life time due to the polution caused in making it and disposing of it. (batteries mostly including charging) again buying a piece of mind.
    "Dust to Dust" report
    http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/dus...ive-t1266.html
    http://www.cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveenergy/

What we need is to kick the arses of the people who liter, especially on our trails. problem solved.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

I have to agree with you regarding recycling being a waste of resources. Fortunately the recycle place is on my way to Home Depot. I load up my truck every couple weeks when I am heading that way anyways. I certainly wouldn't make a special trip to drop them off. Even in 2 weeks or more, we only have 1 garbage sized bag to drop off.

The stuff I am VERY diligent about is the stuff that contaminates water. I really don't want oil, mercury, lead and other nasty stuff in my water. CFL's, rechargeable batteries, oil and other things NEVER get thrown away in our household. Again, these are all recycled at no charge and always at a location I go to anyways on occasion so we just "stock" them up.

No worries, Wall-e will save us! :fing:

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

greenramp previously posted:
    "I agree to disagree. the space taken up by these collectables, the time wasted in cleaning and separating them, and unless you are hauling them with your bicycle, the air polution caused by hauling them, negates the purpose of doing it in the first place.
    You are buying a piece of mind."

There's one other component to recycling, besides keeping stuff out of landfills, not polluting an already polluted environment and attaining peace of mind: reuse of finite resources.

I guess I'm lucky because Longmont makes recycling easy. The city went to single-stream recycling last year, so I can recycle everything I could before, plus all plastics, phone books, cardboard, paperboard, milk cartons and more. I no longer have to make a monthly four-mile round trip to the Martin Street recycling center to get rid of all that stuff. And Longmont has a hazardous waste recycling event once a year and a hard-to-recycle event three or four times a year.

Sounds like Sweden isn't going about it the right way. That doesn't mean recyling isn't worthwhile or governments can't run a decent recycling program. I think Longmont is doing an excellent job, at least when it comes to residential recycling.

On electric vehicles, my biggest problem with them is that electricity is generated mainly by coal-fired plants in the U.S. So they aren't emitting the nasty stuff that comes out of tailpipes but they're still contributing to air pollution.

And I agree with Chris that Americans buy too much crap that they don't need, that eventually goes to a landfill or needs to be recycled. But what really irks me is that most products today are way over-packaged. And much of that packaging isn't recyclable.

The only thing I actively recycle is metal products such as cans. Its the only one that is useful and actually makes a difference. All the rest is touchy at best, and the recycling companies are pretty sketchy. I also try to use aluminum cans over plastic bottles and such, but its hard to do these days.

They interviewed someone from Eco cycle in Boulder a couple years ago about this stuff, and it was pretty interesting. While Eco Cycle does indeed recycle 100% of what it gets, there have been many cases where the recycling companies have been caught just dumping what they collect as recycling into a dump. Not saying it happens all the time, but I imagine it happens more then I like to think. Also, since Eco Cycle recycles absolutely everything they collect that isn't compostable, that means they have to go to some pretty big lengths to get it done. There are only so many things that can be done with plastic, as its VERY hard to process into a usable material. Only a few companies in the US do anything with it, so that means that most of the time, it gets shipped across the pacific to be processed in China or another emerging industrial country, and even then the process only has limited use.

Does this mean that I don't recycle? Not at all, I do try to both limit my use of the hard to recycle plastics, and use metal containers often. I live a couple miles from the lakewood collecting site too, and make a trip once a month. I don't however sign on to the fact that land filling is a bad thing either. I hate littering and people who do it, and always try to make sure trash gets into its place. There is nothing that says that the amount I recycle or send to the landfill will at all make a difference for a "trash island" in the ocean. I think its a legit concern for coastal cities, and if I ever move I'll make sure I get rid of stuff responsibly. The large majority of land fills in this country are very well maintained and are done in an incredibly responsible way. I think the EPA keeps a very close eye on them, and in the scheme of things they take up very little space, and the land is reclaimable after they are filled to capacity by putting a cap on it. Heck, they are even a power source in many places, due to Methane capturing techniques (which in turn runs a power plant).

I think my favorite of the professional skeptics did a good job about showing the BS behind the US recycling industry....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1672891013193#

JH

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

DrUnit previously posted:
    "But what really irks me is that most products today are way over-packaged. And much of that packaging isn't recyclable."

You're spot on there Rob. My post-Christmas waste was embarrassing after buying gifts for the kids. I'd forgotten the blister packaging, huge amounts of cardboard to make whatever look more significant and plastic ties to hold everything together.

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "there have been many cases where the recycling companies have been caught just dumping what they collect as recycling into a dump."

Or if you live where I do, they set up a recycling system, we get two green bins to set out on the curb with the trash every other Friday. Working nights and being up for a portion of the day, I caught them putting the contents of the green bins into the same truck that the trash goes into.

A few months of this went by, before the home owners spoke up about it to the city. Now it's mostly picked up by a different truck, once in awhile I have seen them dump the recycling bins in the trash truck, the past couple of holiday weekends it's been that way. I wouldn't doubt that every week regardless of which truck that picks them up, it doesn't all end up at the same place.

Last Online
    March 14th, 2020
    4x4
    2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    User Name
    Mr6dwg
    Real Name
    Bill Gardner
    Thanks Given

I have to agree with Greenramp. The payoff for recycling is not justified. It is what I call merely a feel-good act. I work in the computer world and it is a wasteful environment. We don't need to use something until it dies. We don't even need to take care of it. It will be out of date before it wears out. I view this whole waste/recycling from a completely different angle. Excessive plastic packaging is put onto my "MP3" playere when I buy it. The reason vendors use excessive plastic is to control theft. Now, we don't know what to do with all that plastic. We bashed people for using paper bags at the grocery store. Now we don't know what to do with all them plastic bags. We design cars to last 7 years at a price that a house used to cost. We have gotten so money hungry in "civilized" world that common sense is gone. And by the way, I will NEVER pick up a turd.

Mr6dwg previously posted:
    "I have to agree with Greenramp. The payoff for recycling is not justified. It is what I call merely a feel-good act. I work in the computer world and it is a wasteful environment. We don't need to use something until it dies. We don't even need to take care of it. It will be out of date before it wears out. I view this whole waste/recycling from a completely different angle. Excessive plastic packaging is put onto my "MP3" playere when I buy it. The reason vendors use excessive plastic is to control theft. Now, we don't know what to do with all that plastic. We bashed people for using paper bags at the grocery store. Now we don't know what to do with all them plastic bags. We design cars to last 7 years at a price that a house used to cost. We have gotten so money hungry in "civilized" world that common sense is gone. And by the way, I will NEVER pick up a turd."

Bill, I disagree with you about the fact that cars are only made to last 7 years these days. Its a no brainer that pretty much any car bought new in the last 5 years will easily get to 100k miles, and probably well exceed that by 2 or 3 times. You also can't equate the fact that 30 or 40 years ago, a house cost $20-50k. I'm sure you know about inflation, so I won't go into that, but just because something cost a certain amount back then does not equate to it being equal to buying a car today. One dollar in 1950 is about 8 bucks today, so if your jeep was for sale in 1950 it would cost about $3750 brand new, my toyota would have been $560 as I bought it, and Scoutmans Scout would have been $100 as he bought it. So its all relative.

Your comment on paper bags set off a spark too, but not from you. People always harp on about how recycling paper saves trees and the environment. My question for ya'll is, who do you think takes the most care of the forests in this country? If you guessed that it was the paper companies, then you are right. Most of the trees planted in this country are planted by tree farmers to feed the paper industry. Also, most paper is made from trees that were specifically planted to make it. Paper companies do use many bleaching chemicals and such, but that doesn't change with recycled paper, so for this argument it doesn't work. So does recycling paper save trees? No, not really. In fact, it probably reduces the number trees we have in this country. I try not to use a ton of paper, but more because I find it annoying and would rather use an electronic device like my laptop or cell phone rather then print something out.

So yeah, the only thing I truly feel bad about not recycling these days is anything metal, since its the only thing actually worth recycling from both an environmental and economical view.

JH

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

DrUnit previously posted:
    "I don't have a clue how to reuse or recycle dog poop, though. Soylent Brown?"

Now that is just really funny! Still, I would prefer the green variety to the brown.

Chris previously posted:
    "The only thing I have to say is everyone should quit buying so much crap that needs to be recycled."

Can we please get rid of that hard plastic that requires tin snips to open, the kind which closely encloses the product and has a hole at the top to hang on the peg? I HATE that kind of packaging. Look at the energy needed to make it and it isn't recycle friendly either.

Patrolman previously posted:
    "Personally, I recycle ALL my stuff for no charge. The only thing I have to pay to get rid of is the haz mat stuff. Antifreeze, brake fluid, acids, oil gas, etc. That is $20 and is once a year for Littleton/Englewood at a drop off location. Otherwise, I have found ways to recycle all other items 100% free of charge."

Will you post up where? I have a few things to dispose of and I am not sure where to bring them.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

I often recycle..... at times it's called "Packrat" I have saved cars, bikes, etc from going to the dump. Even my campers was going to be crushed..... It amazes me what others throw away, what is even better is when you take a persons trash (such as a bicycle) spent a little time and maybe a few $ and then post it on Craigslist only to have the person that tossed it buy it for "Memories sake" LOL Classic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast