Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Racing

Default Ice Racing

Anyone interested in watching or doing some ice racing? They start racing again on George Town Lake January 1st. Looks like you can watch or try your luck at it. Check out this site for more info. Our Gang Ice Racing http://www.ourgangiceracing.com/

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Ice Racing

I might try to go Jan 1st since I have that day off work! It is a blast to do for anyone who hasn't tried. Any vehicle 4wd or AWD with the basic safety stuff is good to go. Just can't leak and has to have a battery hold-down.

Even if you don't have a vehicle, watching the pro's race is something else! Well worth the trip just for that!

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

I'm going to go Jan. 1st for the fun day.

My mud tires will suck it up but oh well. Had BFG AT's last year for them.

I really would like to go for the fun day. I think I can go with my studded snows on the Forester, need to double check. The Foz will definitely be the vehicle of choice for this! Will have to see what's up with work though. Do have a battery tie down from the factory, so atleast that is taken care of.

Anybody know if I won't be allowed to run on practice day cause of my studded snows? Can't find anything on their website about the practice day.

Smash previously posted:
    "I really would like to go for the fun day. I think I can go with my studded snows on the Forester, need to double check. The Foz will definitely be the vehicle of choice for this! Will have to see what's up with work though. Do have a battery tie down from the factory, so atleast that is taken care of.

Anybody know if I won't be allowed to run on practice day cause of my studded snows? Can't find anything on their website about the practice day."

So you ARE coming after all? Dang, and I was hoping to use your tires (you said I could) Actually, it'd be awesome if you could go!

I wonder if I could race my 76 K10... Most of those guys are running CJ5's for a reason.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

colomil previously posted:
    "I wonder if I could race my 76 K10... Most of those guys are running CJ5's for a reason."

Should be able to, Greg. Last time I raced there in the open rubber class, I had a lifted short bed Ford F150 on 38s.

The CJs and stuff do way better as do the AWDs things like the Subbies simply because they are so much lower to the deck. Most of the guys that do race in the open rubber class (that don't do it just for fun) swap on some low profile tires. Since most of the races are elimination races, it is fun no matter what.

I wouldn't take my black heap if we went, but would probably take the Cherokee, which is mostly stock. It sits lower and the tires aren't so aggressive, making slides or drifts easier to control.

SO i read the rules, is the "fun day" you are talking about(or is in the rules) mean $5 to run, but not really competing? That does sound like fun!

Also, to anyone who has done this in the past, are large mud tires going to suck as bad as i think they will? Might do it for fun, but may just spin circles all over the place.... Worth $5, not $20...Can't afford other tires right now. Anyone have any studded 35's on 8 lug rims?

Either way, i think i'll go to watch....
    MC

SubaCool previously posted:
    "So you ARE coming after all? Dang, and I was hoping to use your tires (you said I could) Actually, it'd be awesome if you could go!"

I'm gonna try to go. The Foz is feeling neglected. Can't have that! :lol:

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Yeah muds probably won't work so well. I'd like to get mine siped before but probably not going to happen

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Big Red previously posted:
    "Also, to anyone who has done this in the past, are large mud tires going to suck as bad as i think they will?
    Either way, i think i'll go to watch.... MC"

Yes, they will, but it is still fun. Your lift isn't going to help a lot either. A lot of the open rubber rigs run something like the Blizzarks (sp?) or dedicated snow/ice tire minus studs.

Lockers aren't too much of a help either as they will always try to push you straight. Last time I was there I ran into some dude who has the "biggest, baddest F250 in the world" (you didn't even have to ask him. Anyway you know the type) locked up, huge meats, big hp yada, yada, mouth, mouth, who was going to kick some real butt. He sailed straight off the very first corner...end of race for him. It isn't about speed or lockers or horsepower in the open rubber, it is about being cool and in control...

blizzaks are one of the favorite tires in the Forester crowd. I run Firestone Winterforce cause they were cheaper and better in the mud (they are actually mud rated). I hope they let me run with studs, I can't find anything on their site about regulations for "fun day."

Last Online
    January 10th, 2020
    4x4
    89' K5
    User Name
    sunk
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

I will definatly be attending the event on Sat. the 2nd (just to watch). All the big dogs will be there, should be exciting!

WOOHOO!

I'm off work on the 1st. I should be there!

Here's some more info on the Ice Racing http://ourgangiceracing.com/Section4.html

Hey,
    Well i decided i don't care about tires sucking, it still sounds like fun, so... I figure i've been driving this thing on icy roads for 13 years now, so i've had a slide or two

I just need to figure out if i can fit it in my buddies trailer, probably need to put my "spare" tires on it, but it looks so "getto" with them (stock tires and 4" lift) i wouldn't want to run it like that!

Also, for those who have done this, ? on adding weight; my idea was to line my bed with plastic, and put 6-8" water in there to freeze to add 400# or so. I can't see why that wouldn't be Ok, can't really hurt anything if i lose it!

Finally, if someone could clarify dates; 1st is "real" racing, 2nd fun day?? I'm not sure i can make both (unless i can find someplace to store my rig overnight) Can't really afford to tow this thing there twice!

Looking for video operator possibly, would like to have some pics/ video of the event and my runs, have cameras and all so maybe if anyone feels like playing cameraman let me know.

MC
    PS I don't have any illusions of my truck being "the baddest in all the land", i just want to have some fun, and accept that this is NOT what i'm building for. This is something i've heard about for years and am going to finally make it, and i have what i have for a truck

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

1st is a fun day. The 2nd is a race, but it's all pro street or higher class I think.

Thanks! So who's going on 1st? $5 entry fee, do you need to pay tech inspection fees?
    MC

Sent the club an email asking about studs....

Big Red previously posted:
    "Thanks! So who's going on 1st? $5 entry fee, do you need to pay tech inspection fees?
    MC"

I would assume yes we all will have to pay an inspection fee for safety reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast