4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Just chatting - IFS lift

I'll swap you my passenger seat for your FJC passenger seat. Then barb could pretend we had an FJC!

OK, maybe I finally understand this thread. Buy a Pathfinder!....

IFS= go fast, SAS= Rock crawl.
    Having said that, I manage to off road my IFS 92 K3500 with no lift and 35" tires with good results. I had to do some trimming to get the tires to fit well but it looks pretty good and there is no rubbing. I will be stuffing 37" tires on it this week with an obscene amount of fender trimming. The front articulation sucks but I think this will work well for things like snow bashing & firewood runs.

I will be putting a D60 under the front of my IFS K2500 burb sometime soon. It will be a little bit of work but it will cost less than an IFS lift and be much stronger.

First off, IFS can be good or bad on and off road, as can solid axles stuff. Solid Axle does not instantly equate to bad handling and rough ride onroad. Its all relative, and you can make anything behave well in any environment. When people talk about Solid Axle rigs not handling well, its almost always a rig that was designed to be a hardcore offroader. This means they decided that they would sacrifice highway and daily driving to be able to cope with offroading better. This doesn't mean it has to be that way. My dad had a IFS Suburban, and it handled just like a big truck is expected to. Its never going to be a sports car.

For a big truck, I think solid axles and leaf springs are much better, stronger, and simpler to work on then anything IFS. Lots less to break, and if you go GM, parts are super easy to find. Like people have said before, its inherantly stronger too, mostly because of the diff housing.

I've also thought about this, and at this point, the only time I'd want an Independent suspension setup is if I did alot of high speed desert running. Then again, there is nothing cheap about the long travel suspension stuff, and its a lot harder to do good "home brew" fabrication for it then it is for Solid Axle stuff. This leads me to believe that for what you want to do, a Solid Axle would provide more potential for Colorado offroading, unless you really wanted to do be able to do the Baja 1000 as well. The main factor you are going to have to worry about is beefyness, with a rig the size of the Suburban. So yeah, don't just assume that a Solid Axled vehicle will instantly be worse for daily use.

JH

oh, and JeffX, we've aleady tried to talk him into something other then a Full Size GM vehicle, but he seems dead set on something huge. Seems to think that since he can't fit everything in the Forester, he needs a rig twice the size. Then again, Karla called my Toyota a "tiny truck", so I guess that says something. Sure doesn't look or feel tiny to me, and certainly isn't the easiest to get into either. Then again, I came from a Samurai, so the probabaly skews what I call "tiny"....

my head was level with the rocker panel when I stood next to it here.....BTW

-jh

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "I'll swap you my passenger seat for your FJC passenger seat. Then barb could pretend we had an FJC!"

That might work. Marty's happier in the back seat anyway.

Thanks guys, doesn't seem to be a real agreement here on if I should run the IFS, but seems like I could.

I know what I meant, and what I figure others are saying, is go with the best deal you can find for what your needs are. Sounds like both IFS and Solid Axle applications will work for you, so don't count either of them out. My point was only that Solid Axle does not instantly mean bad handling, nor does IFS instantly mean it will handle well. In general, the IFS will do better on roads and long distance, but won't have as much potential offroad, and the lifts and such are nearly always more expensive and more complicated (for the big lift kits at least, doing small 2-3 inch lifts seems reasonably easy with IFS, by adjusting a torsion bar, using coil spacers, etc). Should you definitely go IFS, not necessarily. Will it work for your stated goals, for sure. Will you regret getting something with IFS in future, possibly, if you want to go for the harder trails or a big lift. Big tires and such don't get along with the IFS stuff as well, and the aftermarket support for stronger components isn't as readily available, nor as cheap.

JH

Smash previously posted:
    "Thanks guys, doesn't seem to be a real agreement here on if I should run the IFS, but seems like I could."

It's very simple. Identify your price range. Identify the year/make/model of vehicles that are in it. Buy the best vehicle. There are lotsa people out there doing hard-core wheeling with IFS. I recently heard about an FJC (-w- IFS lift) on 35's running carnage BV. I haven't, however, confirmed this.

I know for a fact that IFS have run:

Holy Cross
    Blanca
    Chinaman's
    Eagle Rock
    Spring Creek
    Hells Revenge
    Moab Rim

JeffX previously posted:
    "It's very simple. Identify your price range. Identify the year/make/model of vehicles that are in it. Buy the best vehicle. There are lotsa people out there doing hard-core wheeling with IFS. I recently heard about an FJC (-w- IFS lift) on 35's running carnage BV. I haven't, however, confirmed this.

Holy Cross
    Blanca
    Chinaman's
    Eagle Rock
    Spring Creek
    Hells Revenge
    Moab Rim"

If a FJC, SASed or IFS, ran Carnage BV, then I hope he had an exo cage. If not, they almost certainly came out with a lot of body damage. The V-notch obstacle nearly guarantees it for any rig other then buggies. You pretty much hug a cliff wall the whole way up, and even if you manage to get a few feet off of it, it tends to push you that way anyways. Its the main reason I haven't wanted to get in there with my rig yet.

I have also seen IFS/STock rigs on almost all of those trails you listed, plus others. You could likely get by with IFS in harder stuff too, but can't say I'd want to. Then again, if he hadn't been dis-qualified, Shannon Cambell probably would have won King of Hammers last year in this IFS rig.....

That thing would whip some serious ass on any rig on here, so its certainly doable, with the right amount of money.:lol:

JH

JH

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

He was DQ'd? Why?

Andrew previously posted:
    "He was DQ'd? Why?"

Blew up his tranny and had to return to "camp" to replace it, which automatically disqualifies you. He went back out and finished the course anyways, and caused some controversy when he did this.....

He pretty much drove over another dudes rig that was still in the race (while the guy was still in the rig too) after he was already disqualified and out of the race, and did about $10k worth of damage to the guys rig. Then 4 other rigs followed him through. So yeah, not the best decisions one could have made.

JH

p.s. Someone less poor should buy this DVD so I can watch it....

-jh

I don't understand the controversy. It's a competition. Unless they were willing to stop the clock, he did what he had to do.

EDIT: What happens when a NASCAR driver causes $100K in damage to a competitor's vehicle?

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Yeah if someone just stopped in the middle for no reason....?

Okay if he ran the PERSON over that's different. But yeah if he was already DQ'd....I dunno. If I was running it and was DQ'd I'd probably run the rest of it too just because I wanted to finish what I started - even if I couldn't win.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

JeffX previously posted:
    "It's very simple. Identify your price range. Identify the year/make/model of vehicles that are in it. Buy the best vehicle. There are lotsa people out there doing hard-core wheeling with IFS. I recently heard about an FJC (-w- IFS lift) on 35's running carnage BV. I haven't, however, confirmed this.

Holy Cross
    Blanca
    Chinaman's
    Eagle Rock
    Spring Creek
    Hells Revenge
    Moab Rim"

Add to this list:

Iron Chest
    Rubicon
    Hammers in Johnson's Valley
    Area BFE

Yeah, you do do pretty much anything in an IFS rig. The key being really good driver skills and having the weak parts reinforced, though not necessarily replaced.

Thanks guys. Chewing this around.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Smash previously posted:
    "Thanks guys. Chewing this around. "

Always causing trouble! :lol::lol:

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Also remember that if you need more room to store stuff - you can always pull a little trailer. Then you wouldn't have such a huge rig on the trail. I'd never be happy with a burban or fullsize rig on the trails, but that's just me. Get what ya want

Someone's gotta keep everyone on their toes around here! :lol:

JeffX previously posted:
    "I don't understand the controversy. It's a competition. Unless they were willing to stop the clock, he did what he had to do.

EDIT: What happens when a NASCAR driver causes $100K in damage to a competitor's vehicle?"

I would agree with you on that, if he had been a legit racer. However, the guy who drove over the other dudes rig was Disqualified at the time, and the guy who he ran over was still in the race. As far as I know, you are able to winch yourself back onto your wheels and still continue the race. Not even taking price into account, the fact he ended someone else's race was what caused the controversy in my mind.

JH

Haku previously posted:
    "I would agree with you on that, if he had been a legit racer. However, the guy who drove over the other dudes rig was Disqualified at the time, and the guy who he ran over was still in the race. As far as I know, you are able to winch yourself back onto your wheels and still continue the race. Not even taking price into account, the fact he ended someone else's race was what caused the controversy in my mind.

JH"

I thought he was DQed after the fact....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast