Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new project...

Default My new project...

$400 for an '87 BRAT, but it needs some work. Biggest issue, is the trans sounds like a card in the spokes of a bicycle, only louder. Stops doing it when I engine brake, or go to neutral. 5 speed swap is very likely in the near future for it:

Once I fix up some of the major issues first(first is trans, second is the ignition switch disaster), I'll probably go with a small 4" lift, and maybe 28inch or so tires. Some Toyota wheels will fit, if I redrill the hubs to a 6 bolt pattern(which has been done, and I could use some help on this). For the record, the BRAT(Bi-Drive Recreational All-Terrain Transporter) weighs ~2300lbs, has 73hp@4800 & 94ft-lbs@2400, giving it a higher power to weight ratio than my '87 Ranger(90hp at ~3300lbs).

This also means that I will be selling another truck. And when I get to the point where I've done all the trails I can do in this thing, then I will probably add a solid axle vehicle to my inventory. Until then, I plan to use the hell out of this thing, as I actually like it more than my Ranger. Plus, I've been working on some form of a Sube since 2001, so I know them way better than the Fords.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Default Re: My new project...

GO BRAT!

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Very cool, I look forward to seeing this on a few runs! Does this one still have the seats mounted in the bed?

Congrats!

Awesome!!

Funrover previously posted:
    "Very cool, I look forward to seeing this on a few runs! Does this one still have the seats mounted in the bed?"

Unfortunately, no it doesn't. It does have the nice alloy 13" wheels though, so I'll probably replace the tires with some snow tires for right now.

And if anyone sees a Peugeot at any of the junkyards with the 4 lug wheel, let me know please! They are often 14 or 15" wheels, and they bolt right up!

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

I know a guy in the Springs that has a couple P-goats.. I willl ask him

Funrover previously posted:
    "I know a guy in the Springs that has a couple P-goats.. I willl ask him"

Sweet, thanx. I'll go for alloy or steel, doesn't much matter. But as long as I step up to a 14 or 15"(15 is preferred), my tire options open up immensely.

Man i still cant believe people wheel these haha Good Luck!

Last Online
    May 13th, 2015
    4x4
    1990 K5 Blazer
    User Name
    ShutUpHippie
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

The one he brought on the snow run did pretty damn well until the super steep snowy hills.

Rock on!!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Congrats on the purchase! I look forward to the build!

ShutUpHippie previously posted:
    "The one he brought on the snow run did pretty damn well until the super steep snowy hills.

Rock on!! "

I could've kept going if I had chains...

I did some preliminary research on the front end noise...

I put the front end up in the air just now, and this is what I found:

I can rotate either front wheel, either direction, and no noise or problems encountered. I did this both in neutral, and in 1st.

I then started the car, and put it in 1st. When I did that, the driver's side seemed fine, but the pass side was going thump thump thump, and was barely turning. I could easily grab the axle and stop it from turning at all, and I could feel the thumping.

Any thoughts? The noise/thumping is always present while driving under positive load, and goes away when I engine brake or go to neutral. Doesn't change when turning either. Seems like something isn't grabbing the pass axle in the diff.

Sounds like you might have blown something up in the Ring and Pinion area, most likely the Ring gear. Suppose it could be the spider gears for that side, since you only feel it happen on one side. Does it feel internal (i.e. feel it through the driveline stuff) or external like a the rim or brake rotor is catching on something? Only other thing I can think of is that its something in the knuckle/wheel bearing area, but it sounds more like a driveline issue of some sort. Probably not gonna know until you at least crack the case one diff. Not sure how much that takes with the Brat, but it should be too hard. Too bad its the front, as most Subbie trannies are transaxles, and the front diff is inside the tranny case.

JH

Haku previously posted:
    "Sounds like you might have blown something up in the Ring and Pinion area, most likely the Ring gear. Suppose it could be the spider gears for that side, since you only feel it happen on one side. Does it feel internal (i.e. feel it through the driveline stuff) or external like a the rim or brake rotor is catching on something? Only other thing I can think of is that its something in the knuckle/wheel bearing area, but it sounds more like a driveline issue of some sort. Probably not gonna know until you at least crack the case one diff. Not sure how much that takes with the Brat, but it should be too hard. Too bad its the front, as most Subbie trannies are transaxles, and the front diff is inside the tranny case.

JH"

It's definitely inside the trans, as when I grabbed the driver's wheel to make it stop turning(and the pass side started), the noise had no change at all. That, and when I grab the inner axle by the trans, I can feel the thumping it's making inside. Seems to make the axle move in an up/down motion when it makes the noise, at least on the pass side(as I didn't look closely at the driver's side).

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

I think the ad stated that a CV had been replaced, right? If there wasn't power to both wheels, the vehicle would sit motionless. Obviously since you can drive it, there is power to both wheels. In addition to making sure the CV's are right, make sure the splines on the hubs haven't stripped out and that the nuts on the CV is tight. Also make sure the roll pin that holds the CV to the tranny is intact. Basically, I would start on the "outside" and work my way in. By the time you get to the tranny, you will know if it needs to come out. Plus the parts you removed/inspected need to come apart to get the tranny out anyways.

Patrolman previously posted:
    "I think the ad stated that a CV had been replaced, right? If there wasn't power to both wheels, the vehicle would sit motionless. Obviously since you can drive it, there is power to both wheels. In addition to making sure the CV's are right, make sure the splines on the hubs haven't stripped out and that the nuts on the CV is tight. Also make sure the roll pin that holds the CV to the tranny is intact. Basically, I would start on the "outside" and work my way in. By the time you get to the tranny, you will know if it needs to come out. Plus the parts you removed/inspected need to come apart to get the tranny out anyways."

He replaced the driver's side axle, pass side looks older. Both hubs look ok, and the nuts are definitely on the axles tight. Pins are in the axles/stubs on the trans. It definitely feels like it's coming from the trans itself, and I couldn't find anything wrong with either hub when I inspected it a short while ago. I was going to drop the pass axle, but it is proving to much harder than my Legacy axle, plus I don't have that size socket for my impact. It's something larger than my 32mm axle nut socket, and my adjustable wrench doesn't open up enough to even get on it.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

I have the sockets and all the tools to do a CV axle. Can knock one out and back in within 30 mins. Probably swapped out 30 of them in my Subaru days.

The splines inside the hub can strip out and then there is no engagement with the CV. I had that happen on my BRAT. Made the same sort of noise. Drove it 2,000 miles or so like that without knowing it. It FINALLY went out after pulling into the parking lot at home after a 300 mile trip to Moab. Whew! Lucky....

I've confirmed where the problem lies...

I just drained the transmission(which housed the front diff as well)

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

You mean metal chunks are not supposed to fall out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast