Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project $500!

lmao Project $500!

Well here I am after saying wasn't going to spend any money on my truck till next winter. But my test trail run at wheeler lake revealed some things I should have seen. Anyways here's the list of things im going to do this winter

1. New clutch slave and master. Mine leak and at times the pedal sinks to the floor
    2. New fuel lines. Mine are all rubber and are starting to deteriorate.
    3. Adjust and modify my carb. Was going to do fuel injection by too expensive for my budget. I want to extend my float bowl vents and lower the level of my floats. For any one who saw me trying to climb the obstacles at wheeler this weekend can tell you why I need to do this!
    4. SM465 and a early 3 speed xfer. I want a lower crawl ratio as right now mine is 28:1 but I don't want to drop $1500 on an Orion. The SM465 with a 3spd case will give me a ratio or something like 62:1 with isn't amazing but it is significantly better and will do.
    5. Build a spare tire carrier because my spare flops around on the back and could be dangerous.
    6. And I need a skid plate.

I'm at work rightnow so I can't really post up any pictures and I have class tonight so I probably won't get any work done till later in the week.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Project $500!

HAHAHA Yep, gotta love those project. they seem to catch up with you in a hurry

I have a SM420 with a 3speed tcase and a rock box splitter. I would encourage a SM 420 or 465 which are very close 7:1, 6:1. The splitter doubles the ratio so I have a crazy low 132 to 1 ratio.

You probably saw Air Randy showing off his Orion on Wheeler last week....if you go with the 465 and a splitter you will be just as low or lower!

Good luck................

Brady a sm465 was in the plan. I chose it over a 420 because of synchros intofirst and the option of overdrivewould be nice. Do you have any pictures of you setup? What else can you tell me about it?

74fj40 previously posted:
    "Brady a sm465 was in the plan. I chose it over a 420 because of synchros intofirst and the option of overdrivewould be nice. Do you have any pictures of you setup? What else can you tell me about it?"

I agree on the 465...the 420 likes to wrestle me at times. What part of town do you live in? If you are on the south side you are welcome to swing by.....except the 40 is in the shop for round two of a transfer case leak fix. I expect to have it back by Friday.

Let me know,

Steve

Last Online
    April 8th, 2015
    4x4
    1971 FJ40, 1996 Bronco, 1999 UZJ 100
    User Name
    RicardoJM
    Real Name
    Ricardo Maestas
    Thanks Given

Steve, Max - you guys are very close to each other - both in Highlands Ranch. Max, I have a raffle ticket for you and your dad. Max, do you currently have the 4 speed t-case?

RicardoJM previously posted:
    "Steve, Max - you guys are very close to each other - both in Highlands Ranch. Max, I have a raffle ticket for you and your dad. Max, do you currently have the 4 speed t-case?"

Excellent....Max I think I was behind you/passed you Friday morning on Broadway.

I rember that fjc. You passed me on the left. Anyways let me know when you get it back. I'd definitely like to check it out.

Ricardo, yep, it's a split cas out of a fj60.

Well I have a small update, just found an 465 with 75k on it. Going to check it out this week after work some time. It's only $50 so I don't have much to lose. Anyways I might pull my carb tonight if I'm not going to go check out that tranny. So maybe some pictures to come :d

Which adapters should I use? Brian doesn't make his anymore. AA one is too expensive, has anyone delt with classic cruisers? Or know the price of theirs? Am I forgetting any options?

Last Online
    April 8th, 2015
    4x4
    1971 FJ40, 1996 Bronco, 1999 UZJ 100
    User Name
    RicardoJM
    Real Name
    Ricardo Maestas
    Thanks Given

Mike D. put in a 465 and Orion. I understand you are mating up the 3 speed transfer case, but here is the link to his information. HTH.

Thanks Ricardo. Mike used the adapter that woody used to make but unfortunately doesn't anymore :(

Little bit of an update, the SM465 got sold to someone quicker than me... Oh well. I think I might be on the hunt for one thats already mated to a 3 speed case. seems like a more efficient way to do it anyways.

Heres some new pictures, I for forgot to tell you a new wiring harness was in order for this winter... I felt somewhat spontanious when I woke up on saturday, so I took it into work and got started on it. Heres some pictures.

Its funny to see a 37 year old truck next a $100,000+ car

Also, check out the battery picture, for those who remember my starting problem from the wheeler lake run, It was because of bad connections to the starter. well, now I fixed it, everything you see going to the battery is all that will be going to it. Positive, Negative, and a fusible link.

All the wire connections are being made with solderless crimp connections, (not cheap butt connecters from radio shack) were talking BMW approved wire connectors. then a special shrinkwrap is used over the connecter, which when heated up the inside melts and surrounds every nook and cranny in the connector to prevent corrosion. I have a feeling this is going to last for a very very long time I checked with parts on the price of these shrink wrap peices, and they are a buck a piece...my price!!!

Pretty excited to do this, its such a good feeling to know that you are improving the performance/ability/ and overall rigidity of a truck.

If you want to replace that battery with something a bit more reliable, Dave's Offroad Performance is selling refurbished Optima Batteries for $85 each plus a bit of shipping. I have two yellow tops coming next week that should be a great addition.

Looks great dude. Wish I had that kind of space to work on my rig for sure. Oh well, someday maybe. I need to do some rewiring in my rig as well, but mostly for the accesories and peripheral stuff. Want to make a 12 volt circuit breaker unit for all the stuff like winches, CB's, stereo, etc. Looks good though, and I'm sure it will be great to have the piece of mind that everything will work when its supposed to. Get that carb going and some lower gears, and you are in business for a while.

JH

Sweet! GL on the wiring, seems it will be fun! You just gonna leave her at Schomp while you rewire it? Or are you planning on finishing that all today?

Unfortunately I can't really afford a new battery at the moment, and that autolite is still holding a charge. Maybe within the next year or so I'll pickup a winch and do a dual battery setup.

I cant tell you how lucky I am to be able to work on my truck at work. it makes some things so easy. Yesterday it was 19* outside and If I didnt have the shop to go to I would have been working on it on my back outside... well I probably wouldnt have any motivation to do it that way

Thanks man, going to pull the carb in a week or so and rebuild/adjust. Was going to do TBI but too expensive at the moment. A carb kit is only $20 heh

InsanityIsBorn previously posted:
    "Sweet! GL on the wiring, seems it will be fun! You just gonna leave her at Schomp while you rewire it? Or are you planning on finishing that all today?"

Were not allowed to do that anymore. haha, and hell no I cant finish that today! its too cold outside and the shop is closed!! I'll bring it in next weekend and maybe get the taillights wired up

74fj40 previously posted:
    "Were not allowed to do that anymore. haha, and hell no I cant finish that today! its too cold outside and the shop is closed!! I'll bring it in next weekend and maybe get the taillights wired up"

I forgot it was Sunday, for some reason thought it was Saturday. So what exactly did you do then? Pull the wiring harness and hook up the necessary wires to get it drivable and drive home again??

Exactly pulled everything and hooked up the charging and starting systems and that's it

Haha sounds about right for our family!!

Max,

I have the 40 back at the house...........let me know if you still want to drop by!

Steve 720 272-4909

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast