Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OCG 9/12, Twin Cone, Wheeler Lake 9/13

Default OCG 9/12, Twin Cone, Wheeler Lake 9/13

Hey all,

So Sepetember continues to be a great month for Wheeling, with the leaves changing and the weather being awesome, its worth getting out.

In this case, its the second weekend in September, and the plan is to make it a trip for the whole weekend, but to make it so that you can mix and match as you want to.

Plan is to camp Friday night, 9/11, do Old Chinaman Gulch on Saturday the 12th, camp again, and then get up and do Twin Cone, followed by Wheeler Lake later in the day. This makes it so that people who only want to do Twin Cone don't have to worry about driving past it to meet or something. There is some great camping at the base of Twin Cone, so its a great place to meet. We can talk details later, but I thought I'd get things going with a thread sooner rather then later.

JH

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Re: OCG 9/12, Twin Cone, Wheeler Lake 9/13

Having done all these trails a number of times, I would highly recommend them, too. If people plan for the weekend trip, you would see a huge amount of different terrain and get a lot of good scenery in. The trails range in elevation from below tree line with juniper and cedar, to over 12,000 feet on Twin Cone. Wheeler has an alpine lake that the trail dead ends at that is about 11,400' or so high.

There is also fishing in Wheeler as well as Montegomery Reservoir, which you pass on the way up to the Wheeler Lake trailhead. Although I don't fish, I know a lot of folks that do, so: the best fishing is where the spillway comes down into Montegomery Reservoir and the best fishing on Wheeler Lake is off on the left hand side as you get to the lake, over by where the Model A style rig is parked.

All of these trails have been done in bone stock rigs with careful driving. An rig that has some mild lift and aggressive tires will have no problem as the hardest obstacles on all of these trails are easily avoided with a couple of exceptions, notably on Old Chinaman's Gulch.

If you are going to camp near BV, check out the areas on both sides of Trout Creek Pass (Four Mile Area (right side) in Wells books), FS 300 or Bald Mountain Gulch or Mushroom Gulch on the left side. There is camping at the start of Carnage and OCG, but, in my opinion, you might as well camp in the local WalMart parking lot as there is no shade and you are right where everyone stages...the parking lot. Not my idea of 'camping' as I try to get away from people and noise...

For Wheeler, there is some camping right off the trail at the start of the trail, but you are very close to the road. The best camping is at the lake, but it gets crowded and there isn't much room. There is alternative camping if you take a left turn before you get to Bowling Ball Hill and follow that road back into the valley. At the end of the road, up on a hill, is a great spot next to an old mine.

For camping on Twin Cone, there is a FS pay campground at the base, but not only do you have to pay here, it also gets really crowded and the sites are really close together. I believe that there are 'primitive' non pay sites a little past this as well as quite a few places farther up the Twin Cone trail that are free.

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

We plan to be there. I'm probably a little on the un-modded side to do OCG. I should be good to go on Twin Cone, but I don't really think I'm ready for Wheeler yet, either. Unless everyone thinks that I should be able with no problems. The wife just doesn't want any body damage, and think I should wait to get a lift before some of these hairy trails. We'll definitely be there for the camping, though. Anyone know where they're camping yet. It would be nifty to get a big group together for the camping aspect of the trip.

We are looking into the possibility... not to many chances left before real cold nights.

I will let those who have done Wheeler chime in, but I think with spotter help you could easily and safely do it...

I don't think my Rover is much higher and I am thinking about it? :o

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

BlackRubi previously posted:
    "We plan to be there. I'm probably a little on the un-modded side to do OCG. I should be good to go on Twin Cone, but I don't really think I'm ready for Wheeler yet, either. Unless everyone thinks that I should be able with no problems. The wife just doesn't want any body damage, and think I should wait to get a lift before some of these hairy trails. We'll definitely be there for the camping, though. Anyone know where they're camping yet. It would be nifty to get a big group together for the camping aspect of the trip."

You will be fine on Wheeler,I have taken a couple different stock rigs up it. OCG we have taken a stock TJ through it, but it adds time to the day.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

AboveNBeyond previously posted:
    "We are looking into the possibility... not to many chances left before real cold nights.

I will let those who have done Wheeler chime in, but I think with spotter help you could easily and safely do it...

I don't think my Rover is much higher and I am thinking about it? :o"

You are totally fine, I ran it a couple times (Doing all obstacles) when I was your size.

Funrover previously posted:
    "... OCG we have taken a stock TJ through it, but it adds time to the day."

Think Patriot... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Not that much....LOL

Wheeler lake you are both totally fine for. THere are easy bypasses around all the big obstacles, but there are still some fun ones to enjoy yourself on too. Randy made it up through there no problem. Don't let the pictures of Brody's rig on its side scare you away, he took the hard line down the hardest obstacle of the day, and was just slightly off line. There is a very easy line just to the left side of it, so its no biggy.

As for OCG, its defintely got some challenging parts on it, but Aaron made it up in his rig I think. The Rubicon shouldn't have any issues I wouldn't think, but I'll leave it up to you on whether you want to try it. Have a look on Youtube (just search for Old Chinaman Gulch) for lots of video of all the obstacles. The only mandatory one that might challenge you more then you want is the last big obstacle called the Chutes, which normally requires you to have two tires way up on a rock ledge and feels pretty tippy. Might have some issues if you don't have rock sliders there. The rest of the obstacles are completely optional, or have an easy line up them. I've seen Stock or slightly modded FJ Cruisers and Jeeps do this, but don't want to push you into trying this. If there was a group of people who don't want to do Chinaman but still want to spend the whole weekend up there, then there are some easier trails nearby to give a try too.

JH

So Twin Cone and Wheeler, totally doable OCG not so much (till I get sliders...) :o

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Haku previously posted:
    "The only mandatory one that might challenge you more then you want is the last big obstacle called the Chutes, which normally requires you to have two tires way up on a rock ledge and feels pretty tippy. Might have some issues if you don't have rock sliders there."

And you may very well not have any problems here. When I ran this run at
    the stupid Yota Jamboree, the Chutes were so altered as to not even be much of anything. The time before, with many different rigs, only the set up rigs were hiking it. This last time no one hardly slowed down no matter what they were driving. The big rock that you needed to get way to the right to avoid wasn't even there...

Doesn't mean that it hasn't become harder since then or changed in other ways, but everyone I was with was really surprised how easy it was. This was about a month ago..

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

AboveNBeyond previously posted:
    "So Twin Cone and Wheeler, totally doable OCG not so much (till I get sliders...) :o"

When you gonna get those? Jon (4runninfun) and I will build a set for you, it won't take a lot.. they will be what I have on mine.. You can add more.. will talk about if the time comes.

Brody previously posted:
    "And you may very well not have any problems here. When I ran this run at
    the stupid Yota Jamboree, the Chutes were so altered as to not even be much of anything. The time before, with many different rigs, only the set up rigs were hiking it. This last time no one hardly slowed down no matter what they were driving. The big rock that you needed to get way to the right to avoid wasn't even there...

Doesn't mean that it hasn't become harder since then or changed in other ways, but everyone I was with was really surprised how easy it was. This was about a month ago.."

That sucks. Hate when people alter stuff like that. THat rock was in there pretty good, so it almost seems like someone pulled it out. If that rock is gone, then its a cake walk mostly, unless you try the harder lines at some of the obstacles.

JH

I'm going up on Sunday to do a pre-run and check it out again with GM4x4lover and company. Should be a some good times, and we'll get some good late season camping in before it gets cold. If you are at all questioning whether you are capable of it, I'll know by Monday for sure, and there are others on here that can say yay or Nay (hehee......get that one?). Sounds like the major mandatory obstacle that more moderately built rigs would have in issue with has changed for the easier, so should be good to go.

JH

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Starting way too late for us. This isn't a trail that I want to start late due to all the traffic, especially on a holiday weekend. It would make for just too long of a day, especially with the ride to and from Denver...

Have fun!

So is anyone else coming on this trip? As of right now its just Nay and I on OCG, and BlackRubi and I on Twin Cone and Wheeler Lake. Not sure if anyone else plans on camping at all, but I'd prefer not to do on my own. I know when Chris was messing with the Calendar stuff, that it erased a bunch of names.

Additionally, the Chutes obstacle, which was formerly the one that kept the milder built rigs off Chinaman Gulch, is now wide open and much less formidable. I went up and did a trip last weekend with GM4x4lover and its totally tame and simple now (unless you take the hard line, which is still very doable). So, its a great day for just about anyone thats on this forum, with potential for many different levels of challenge.

JH

Haku previously posted:
    "So is anyone else coming on this trip?

JH"

Let me check with the , we might be able to go? I'd like to.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

No idea on what our schedule is for this weekend, so I don't know. It will a last minute for just about every run. LaDawn is trying to line up buyers, so she may have showings all weekend...Last minute for us...I'll post..

I really want to get out in the M1009 as I have been busy all summer with the race truck. I will see if the truck is ready to go tomorrow and make my commitment at that time.

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

We're still planning on going. The is still a little worried about damage. When and where are we meeting? We were really looking forward to camping with a bunch of people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast