Thread: Toyota Jamboree

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Toyota Jamboree

LaDawn and I went down to this Friday afternoon. We got to a nice camp site on the Bald Mountain Gulch Road and set up our camp, planning to meet at the specified Johnson's Village meeting time at 9AM. Here is our report:

We got to Johnson's Village well before 9AM expecting to find a slew of Toyotas staging for various trail runs. There were none there. We waited around and finally a solitary Yota showed up.

You guys here for the Toyota Jamboree?

Yup. We are going to run Carnage.

Where is the main staging area?

Uhhhhhhh, I guess at the different trailheads, man.

Where is the main Jamboree being held?

Some forest Service Road.

Another try with another Yota guy:

What happened to the posted Johnson's Village meeting for the Jamboree?

I guess it got changed.

And yet another:

Where are the people staging for the separate trail runs?

At the campsite, I guess. People have already left for the runs for today.

What happened top the Johnsons Village meeting time?

Dunno....

This actually typified the responses we got trying to find the location.

We headed back to Carnage/OCG trailhead to maybe hook up with some folks from the Jamboree. There we found a couple of Toyotas, but they were there to just run Carnage. We waited around a bit here, then decided to go back to Johnson's Village to maybe locate someone we knew to run a trail with, passing a large group of Rovers.

We waited around again, saw no Yotas and decided to try the OCG trailhead again. Still the same crew there. We then decided to just run Antero, but on the way out ran into a line of 8 or so Yotas (all of the Yotas we saw the whole weekend, BTW) that included Bear and Bren. They said that the "event" was being held off of FS 376....somewhere. We followed them back to the trailhead, hoping to hook up with someone running OCG as I didn't want to run Carnage. My comment to LaDawn and the 'photographer' for the "event" was that so far, the organization of the "event" looked liked it had "gotten done by a couple of really stoned Boulder buttonheads." LaDawn said that the "organization" was both a joke and stupid. I added that it was "pretty damn lame".All of these comments got mentioned quite a few times during the course of the next day and a half.

Anyway, we met up with some nice folks, watched Bear and some other rigs do the start to Carnage, and did a nice run of OCG. We also helped right a flopped Rover and talked to the Rover folks for a bit. They all knew Tye and it turned out that Tye and Mador were at the big (and organized) Rover rally in Leadville. We went to the top of Carnage and walked down to where everyone was doing some of the obstacles and watched there for a bit, finally hiking back to the top and driving out.

Our plan was to go to the "Toyota Jamboree" meeting and set up area that we finally got the directions to. "Watch for a large cairn where the road splits. Turn there and follow the road until you see a "Toyota Jamboree" sign." Drive and drive. See cairn, turn and drive. See many vehicles parked in many, many camping areas. Did not see a single Toyota sign, or anything suggesting that any kind of "event" was being held here. No Toyota signs, no vendors signs, trailers, tow rigs...nada...Repeated all of the previous comments as to stupid, lame, clownlike, etc. Went back to camp.

We had a nice dinner, packed up in the AM, and drove a nice casual road back back to 285.

We watched Bear and Bren learn why Carnage is called Carnage...and why it takes 7-8 hours to run .8 mile of trail, even with a set up rig.

We saw a nice big International Harvester sign for their big meet this weekend, complete with an arrow....how novel! I bet that the folks going to the IH event actually managed to get there...

The Rover folks actually had a real STAGING AREA set up from which to organize trail runs...another real novel idea..

The FourMile area in BV is a BIG area. Having an event of any kind in that area without specific information given out...like mileage, etc...is really bone stupid.....repeat...BONE STUPID...

Having a supposed 'big Toyota' event with no signs or arrows to get people to where they need to go is also BONE STUPID.

This event should've been labeled " Toyota 4x4s meeting somewhere in the woods in BV area to run trails...sometime, somewhere. Good luck".

We actually saw many more IHs and Rovers than Yotas. The number of Yotas we saw were no more or less than what you see at any 4x wheeling area. Impressive turn out, uh huh, you betcha...

Anyway, Jamboree, my ass....and anyone's toes that I stepped on...I ain't gonna apologize. You did a bang up **** up (British slang for something done really crappy) job here and hopefully learned something from it...

So, as usual for a wheeling run, good run, good people, good times, good scenery.

Absolutely a totally lame 'event' and extremely disappointing...

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Toyota Jamboree

That really sux. I had hoped to go some year. Won't get my hopes up too much. Glad you had a good time though.

Wow....glad I didn't go up there after running Holy Cross then. Saw couple guys coming up Holy Cross that had just come from the "Jamboree" and considered spending another night camping out of my truck, but in the end decided to go back to Denver instead. Kinda glad I chose that now. Would have been cool to see the Carnage Canyon stuff, but overall sounds like I didn't miss much. Got any pics or video of the Carnage stuff Brody?

JH

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Wow that's pretty lame. And for something with pretty good aftermarket support like Toyota...that's nuts.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Here are some pictures, both of OCG and of Carnage Canyon. You won't have any trouble figuring out what pictures are for which trail....BTW, the camping around the BV area is pretty sweet, but you have to do a bit of exploring to get to a somewhat secluded, more than 20 from the road, location. Typical for most areas, whether you are hiking or driving, if you drive a little farther (or hike), you get past the camping 10' off the road/trail BS...fine if you want to watch people drive by checking your stuff out and like the taste of dust, but not my idea of a good time...

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

And some more:

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Here are some more:

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

And the last two:

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Cool pics!

bummer dude...never been able to go, guess that's why I avoid "big events" except for Cruise Moab.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Yeah, you know you read the event coverage in Toyota Owner and other 4x magazines and you get a picture in your mind of what an event is supposed to be. You also get the feel it is a little bit more than some dudes going " let's meet and wheel in the BV area. See ya there, dude...", so we were a bit taken aback when that is essentially what we found...

well I would say I always thought it was more than that!

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "Yeah, you know you read the event coverage in Toyota Owner and other 4x magazines and you get a picture in your mind of what an event is supposed to be. You also get the feel it is a little bit more than some dudes going " let's meet and wheel in the BV area. See ya there, dude...", so we were a bit taken aback when that is essentially what we found..."

Hype... make life more fun??

Last Online
    July 27th, 2021
    4x4
    '85 Toyota 4runner - Speed Racer
    User Name
    4runner freak
    Real Name
    Danny
    Thanks Given

Trails were discussed in camp and plans were made there.
    This trip did not have a list of scheduled runs ahead of time as this is much like FR4x4 as there was everything from stock to competitive rigs present.
    Everyone showed up, talked to those with similarly built rigs and made plans for certain trails.

Brody, I saw you as we passed the Johnson's Village gas station on Saturday morning on our way to Grizzly Lake. I figured you had a plan all ready when I saw you parked next to one of the guys from the camp.
    It is usually hard to make solid plans with a group of people camping out without coming to the camp. I was hoping you were coming up at some point.
    Sorry we missed you.

We missed Andy also.
    Here are some pictures/videos
    Grizzly Lake

Grizzly Lake :: MOV06496.flv video by 4runnerFreak - Photobucket
    Grizzly Lake :: MOV06505.flv video by 4runnerFreak - Photobucket

Old Chinaman Gulch

Old Chinaman Gulch :: 4runnerfreak OCG Rock Pile video by 4runnerFreak - Photobucket
    Old Chinaman Gulch :: Ardent OCG Rock Pile video by 4runnerFreak - Photobucket

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

I like the new stubby rear bumper LOL

Last Online
    July 27th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    4runner freak
    Real Name
    Danny
    Thanks Given

Funrover previously posted:
    "I like the new stubby rear bumper LOL"

That was done after the FR4x4 anniversary run to China Wall.

New bumpers are going to be in the works.
    After dual trannys, 35's,...

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

[QUOTE=4runner freak;51885]Trails were discussed in camp and plans were made there.
    This trip did not have a list of scheduled runs ahead of time as this is much like FR4x4 as there was everything from stock to competitive rigs present.
    Everyone showed up, talked to those with similarly built rigs and made plans for certain trails.

Brody, I saw you as we passed the Johnson's Village gas station on Saturday morning on our way to Grizzly Lake. I figured you had a plan all ready when I saw you parked next to one of the guys from the camp.
    It is usually hard to make solid plans with a group of people camping out without coming to the camp. I was hoping you were coming up at some point.

When you sent the information on the camp, I simply assumed that this was where you guys were going to be camping, not the main staging area. The information I was going on was the meeting/staging time of 9AM at Johnsons Village, which, unbeknown to me, got changed at some point.

And, according to what I heard later from Bear and Bren, we are glad that we camped where we did. At least it was peaceful and quiet, not drunk and rowdy. Drunk and rowdy makes this boy very violent and aggressive, at least until I can get some peace and quiet....by any means necessary...

Not changimg anything I said about how lame this event was organized. A couple of 5 year olds could've done a better job....

Last Online
    July 27th, 2021
    4x4
    User Name
    4runner freak
    Real Name
    Danny
    Thanks Given

[quote=Brody;51897]
    4runner freak previously posted:
    "When you sent the information on the camp, I simply assumed that this was where you guys were going to be camping, not the main staging area. The information I was going on was the meeting/staging time of 9AM at Johnsons Village, which, unbeknown to me, got changed at some point.

And, according to what I heard later from Bear and Bren, we are glad that we camped where we did. At least it was peaceful and quiet, not drunk and rowdy. Drunk and rowdy makes this boy very violent and aggressive, at least until I can get some peace and quiet....by any means necessary...

Not changimg anything I said about how lame this event was organized. A couple of 5 year olds could've done a better job...."

Yeah, the drunk and rowdy was difficult for me also. Luckily we camped far enough away that the noise was not an issue.
    I was having difficulty when two guys left plastered to go to the hotel they were staying in. (One of them rolled his truck that night)
    I really wanted to go take his keys and tell him he was either getting a ride or staying there.(But I probably would have gotten the crap kicked out of me)

I never read that the meeting spot was going to be in Johnson's Village, but I miss stuff all the time.
    I think that next year we will camp with a small group of friends a little down the road, and just hang out at the main site.
    I'm sorry, I didn't call to see what you were going to run(Of course I ASSuMEd that it was going to be something my 4runner would never have been able to handle).

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

I don't do the drunk/rowdy crowd too much. There's drinking and having a good time, then there is drinking and being stupid. I prefer to stay away from the latter.

I don't care if people drink at the end of the day of wheeling but there is a point where it's too much.

Andrew previously posted:
    "I don't do the drunk/rowdy crowd too much. There's drinking and having a good time, then there is drinking and being stupid. I prefer to stay away from the latter.

I don't care if people drink at the end of the day of wheeling but there is a point where it's too much."

i agree on that, i cant stand drunks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast