Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Re: Red Cone August 15th

4Runninfun previously posted:
    "Brody I am right there with you. I always try to be back below tree line early afternoon. I hate getting caught up high when the weather rolls in."

Last fun time with lightning was a couple of years ago. Clear day, blue shies and we were climbing on some big rocks above Estes on Lumpy Ridge.

Since the day was so clear and we were climbing pretty well, we decided we would move fast and just use one rope, instead of carrying the extra rope needed to rappel down if we got into a jam. Even though we were both familiar with how rapidly storms could move in, we took a calculated risk and just stuck our rain gear in a belt pack, grabbed a 225' rope so that we could string a couple of pitches together and went for it.

Sure enough, two long rope lengths up, we had managed to get a loop of our one rope thoroughly stuck in a crack down below us somewhere and your basic 'toad strangler' move in. Thinking that it was just going to be a simple Colorado 'rain like a ******* for an hour, then sun' rainstorm. We just put our rain gear on and tied off to the belay.

Well, it turned into one of those 'Big Thompson Flood' rainstorms, complete with a major lightning storm. The lightning strikes were hitting about ever 30 seconds or so, with the sound coming immediately afterward. It was pretty damn spectacular from our view point high on the cliff face, and the sound was rolling up the valley towards Estes, hitting another hill at the end of the valley and then rolling back.

Since our rope was stuck and we figured that we were going to stand just as much of a chance getting tagged if we screwed around with it to get it free, or, if we did manage to free it up, spend as much time and be in as much danger climbing to the top (another 450' of pretty hard climbing) we decided to just hang out and watch the fire works. By this time, the crack system we were anchored in had turned into a mini waterfall...I was anchored above Darren and had water going down the back of my waterproof pants, down the back of my leg and pouring out my cuff into the back of Darren's pants...We were, quite literally, hanging, as there wasn't a ledge system to put our feet on..

Anyway, we were thinking about the rope we had left on the ground and we laughing about our stellar choice. We were also joking about how the rangers were going to be finding a pair of smoking climbing shoes on this cliff face when all was said and done. I mean...what else are you going to do but laugh...We were also located on a rock that had slightly higher rocks on either side..whih we watched the lightning hit a few times...you could smell it in the air..We were treated to a pretty wild display with lightning striking all around us and watched the clouds fill the valley floor, then rise back up.

After about 3 hours or more, the rain finally slackened a bit and one of us down climbed to where the rope was bound up in the crack. It took about 40 minutes to free the rope up (a loop had gotten loose from the wind and blown the rope into the crack) and we finished the climb.

This was a calculated risk where we knew that there was a chance we could get caught in a storm and we would have problems getting down with one rope should we run into trouble. It was talked about before hand, too. It was also not the first time either one of us had gotten stormed on on a rock climb or gotten cold, wet and miserable. Neither of us had any 'issues' with our choice, we were treated to a spectacular display that we wouldn't have seen from our couch, and actually had an interesting climb. And we managed to keep our humor through the whole thing and not get tweaked...

Still, all in all, it would have been more fun to have avoided the storm and enjoyed a day of fun in the sun rock climbing..

I did the Red Cone to Radical hill to North fork and down into Frisco on 8-9-09. Met at safeway at 8:30AM and got home at 8:15PM. I did stop a couple of times to do some trail maintenance but total maybe 2 hrs. Obvious stops at picture points and don't fool yourself into thinking you will just drive through those. I don't think an afternoon trip is doable (in leisure) unless you aren't stopping at all and take advantage of your hwy time.

I wouldn't mind doing this one again but only if we're meeting at the early time.

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

I'm trying to get camping spot in the area. Early would be the time we would do it.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

greenramp previously posted:
    " Met at safeway at 8:30AM and got home at 8:15PM. I wouldn't mind doing this one again but only if we're meeting at the early time."

One of the reasons for the earlier start time. This is not a short run.

I am going to be leaving the Safeway at 8:30 and will be there at 8, providing that no work comes up in the meantime...

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "One of the reasons for the earlier start time. This is not a short run.

I am going to be leaving the Safeway at 8:30 and will be there at 8..."

Time traveling!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Funny....only in my mind, at any rate! I took another wrong turn on the astral plane, I guess...

8AM, leaving at 8:30 for those not into time travel...

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "Can do and I really hope you can make it! I missed the midweek thing three times now....

I get a little spooked by lightning having had a few bad experiences with it. I have also spent about 40 years doing stuff in the back country and high peaks here and have a lot of respect for just how bad things can get very quickly. Just something that I would rather avoid if possible."

I agree 100% that the later run is really not a good idea. I've done it a couple times and have been lucky.

That being said, I do have to work Saturday morning . If it's cool with you Brody, I'll set the final meet time as origionally planned and let you head it up.

Charlie (WhitCollarRedneckDad) is the other one I was planning this with but he has never been there so it would be better if someone that is familiar with the trail headed it up.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

RidgeRunnerXJ previously posted:
    " That being said, I do have to work Saturday morning . If it's cool with you Brody, I'll set the final meet time as origionally planned and let you head it up.

Charlie (WhitCollarRedneckDad) is the other one I was planning this with but he has never been there so it would be better if someone that is familiar with the trail headed it up."

OK...meeting time is 8AM at the Conifer Safeway, leaving at 8:30.

I don't have a problem heading this up though I have never done the trail before. I am usually along for the run, whether I am in front, behind or somewhere else in the pack. There aren't any real 'trail leaders' on any of the Front Range runs, which is fine by me, and I would prefer to keep it that way. Anyone who wants to get out in front for whatever reason is fine, especially if they have more knowledge of the area than anyone else.

As far as Red Cone and the surrounding areas-Montezuma, etc-my experience with this area is mainly from the other, Montezuma/St John's side. This is primarily from X country skiing and back country snow shoeing/snow boarding. I have skied and boarded all the passes and high peaks back in here. Years ago, before they opened the 'back bowls' at Keystone, we used to ski into them from the back side, then back down into the regular Keystone ski area. This involved a round trip back country ski of about 13 miles, start to finish. My wheeling or experience with either side of this area is pretty limited and limited to the winter months. I can follow maps, though...

I usually don't like to get in front because my rig is set up enough so that I don't pay too much attention to obstacles that other people have to actually be careful on...as well as simply driving over bigger rocks because I don't have watch my clearance too much. People tend to follow in the wheel prints of the rig in front (herd instinct) and stock or mildly set up rigs that follow me are not going to be going where they want to go...

Here is what, in the rock climbing community, we call a 'hero' shot so you can see what I am talking about...

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

I got a camping spot at Kenosha Pass campground so I'll meet you guys at the trailhead for red cone at 8:30.

By the way, there seemed to be plenty open if anyone else wanted to join us there.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

aphillips76 previously posted:
    "I got a camping spot at Kenosha Pass campground so I'll meet you guys at the trailhead for red cone at 8:30."

By trailhead, do you mean right off of the Hwy285/Webster turn out?

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

That works.

I might be in. I was going to swap out the head on my truck saturday... but this sounds like more fun.

How long is it going to take to run the whole thing?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

"I got a camping spot at Kenosha Pass campground so I'll meet you guys at the trailhead for red cone at 8:30.

By the way, there seemed to be plenty open if anyone else wanted to join us there."

We aren't even leaving the Safeway lot until 8:30, so we will be getting to the Webster/285/RedCone trailhead approximately 9AM, sans any stops...

I know other folks are going to be camping at Slaughterhouse and around the area, so make note of the above time, please..9AM...

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

So, quick question that I probably should have asked earlier. It looks like the group is planning on leaving via Rt 6 and heading back to population via I70.

Since we are camping at Kenosha Pass, is there an easy place for us to split off from you guys to head back to 285? It looks like we could go back down Radical Hill and down Webster Pass to get back to where we started. Another option is the long way through Breck back down to 285.

Thoughts?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I am going to try to get an updated map at REI that shows the roads better, but, according to what I have access to, it looks like you just turn around at the top of Red Cone or vicinity, then go back down. There are some cool, pretty and real easy trails that will take you from Handcart Gulch to just before Kenosha if you feel like you want to go the back way. We did these from the Kenosha side back to Handcart and they were both fun and pretty.

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

I don't think you can come back from Red Cone as it is a one way but Webster does go down.

Interested to see the side routes you speak of.... I've camped off of the road that goes to Red Cone and webster before but have never run them. I'm excited. Of course we are doing this run again in 2 weeks

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

"I don't think you can come back from Red Cone as it is a one way but Webster does go down.

Interested to see the side routes you speak of.... I've camped off of the road that goes to Red Cone and webster before but have never run them. I'm excited. Of course we are doing this run again in 2 weeks "

They start off as FS 810, 810A, 811, 811A. The 'entrances' are either the very last trail before you start up Kenosha or the County/FS road just before that. The last trail before Kenosha is almost a 180 degree turn off of 285 and it sometimes has a fencing gate on it, so it looks like private land. If you follow the bigger County road, going straight will dead end on private property. Either the first or second left turn will direct you into these other trails. All of these trails hook up with a labyrinth of trails that go up to Georgia Pass and all the way to Como.

Nothing super hard and actually superb for dirt bikes and ATVs as they are 'fast' trails, but they follow nice two tracks through some heavily aspened areas with some odds and ends of water crossings thrown in. They get a lot of use in the winter by skiers and snowmobiles, too. There are places for some very nice camping back in here also.

I always thought that it was a pretty easy trail to navigate. Drive up Webster Pass till the offshoot up to Red Cone comes up, the easy side goes up to the top, and then the steep side comes down and meets back with the Webster Pass road again, or you can do Radical Hill. The Webster Pass road goes down to Montezuma. Are you trying to figure out alternate routes or is there some confusion about the route we take? Always thought it was fairly clear cut.

JH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12