Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Kelly Flats on 4th of July...

Default Kelly Flats on 4th of July...

Hey all,

I'll preface this by saying a few things. 1) Sorry for being the "burden" of the trip this time. I hate being that guy, and I definitely didn't mean for it to be that way. 2) I still had a great time and it was cool to meet some new people and do a new trail and 3) Goodbye Samurai hello Toyota!!!!

Ok, so here is the actual report. I knew I wanted to get out on the 4th since I had the day off. Also knew I wanted to get out one more time in the Samurai before I bought my new rig (got it today, I'll do a different thread about it). I did put another new set of carbs on that I got from Bob's Motorcycle in Lafayette. They run pretty well on the road, but had a lot of issues on the trail yesterday, and were the cause of much frustration on my part. I was lucky enough to have a couple patient guys that were willing to help me out in my situation.

For those who haven't done it, the Kelly Flats Trailhead is located in Poudre Canyon, which is west of Fort Collins and a bit north too. The drive up the canyon is great, with the only "Wild and Scenic" river in the state along side the road. Some really fun stretches of river to run if you are a Kayaker like me (or enjoy rafting) and also some really scary stretches called the Narrows. Either way, the drive is great and relaxing.

There is a great spot to air down right at the trailhead, and the fun stuff starts just after. For the most part, this trail is pretty tame, with a few obstacles that may provide some challenges in both the mental and technical game. There are some small ledgy and rocky sections that aren't hard but alot of fun. A stock VW Toureg got up this part no problem. As you get about 1/2 mile into the trail, there is a great view of "Heart Attack Hill". There was also a huge mud puddle right before, which is probably fun for lifted vehicles, but probably not recommended for stock height ones. The previously mentioned Toureg found out the hard way, and when I asked if they were ok, said that it had taken some water into the engine. Nothing too serious though.

Heart Attack Hill is a pretty serious little obstacle. Its really a series of small ones that add into one big one. The main issue with this hill, is that its a long way down if you loose control of the vehicle. Any part of the hill isn't particularly hard on its own, but with a 100-200 yard long steep slope behind you, things become a bit more serious. The hardest part is the middle section, with the hardest part on the right side, the slightly easier part in the middle, and a bypass on the left. The bypass is still steep, but not a problem at all as it doesn't require much articulation like some of the other lines.

Fourflo (FF for the rest of the report) was first up, and stuck his nose into the right line, but decided it was a bit too steep. He backed up and went up the middle instead, and pretty much styled it. I was next up in the Samurai, and went straight for the middle section. Unfortunately due to Carb issues, I wasn't able to make it up. Every time I tried it would stall after getting about 3/4 of the way up the main steep part. I tried at least 5 or 6 times to get it, but to no avail. Makes me sad since I know the Samurai is fully capable of dealing with that, but it just wouldn't go. Jeepin Chef (hearafter known as JC) also went up the middle I believe. I was up dealing with my rig and getting up the rest of the hill, so didn't see his run up it. I know he didn't have any issues though. I only got pics of Fourflo's run up this hill, but here they are:

and artsy version....

More to come....

JH

Default Re: Kelly Flats on 4th of July...

So we got most of the way up Heart Attack, only to have my rig stall and die, and not start up again. The carbs were flooding really bad and having issues. Needless to say, I spent most of the rest of the run being towed behind FF's Jeep. I really appreciate him doing it, especially with some of the bad whiplashy jerks that happened a few times.

The trail goes over some easy but fun sections going up and down some flowing hills. A lot of it goes through the forest and others are more open. All of it is fun and beautiful though. Eventually the trail meets up with a graded road that accesses a residential area. At the end of this section is the Chutes. Its a hard, technical and very short little section. The graded road goes right around it, so its non mandatory. A decent lift, lockers, the possiblity of body damage are all things to think about here. Its tight and off camber, but the worst that would probably happen is you'd flop over onto the cliff face a bit. Looks like a lot of fun though, and both JC and FF made it through fine. Here are some pics:

Great pics guys

A couple more "artsy" ones...

You can either go back down after the chutes, or keep going and do some more easy but fun sections. Lots of little off camper rutted roads that are a lot of fun. At one point it started raining really hard and a small river was going down. It coincided with a large mud bank you had to get up, which proved a challenge for all involved. Beyond that the rest of the trail is pretty tame, but still alot of fun. I think with no problems, you could do this in 2 or 3 hours no problem. Definetly a trail worth doing, especially along with some of the other ones around.

JH

I'm special, i got to see Josh' new yota first. I will say he got a great deal on that thing with elockers front rear, brand spankin new 35's, 4 sets of ring pinions that i think are well worth $1200 or so, a topper, cb, dual t-cases, a whole bunch o stuff , spare burfield, spare parts ( it looked like the guy was given an ultimatum- either the truck goes or the wife goes) he "gave" josh a bunch of stuff along with the truck. Just need to fix the valve cover gasket clean up the oil and its good to go. (i would stop running 20-50 weight oil in it though) not too good for a old oil pump IMO.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Thanks for the report and pictures! we are hoping to do this trail on the 11th!

Josh, It was great to meet you, and you werent a burden things happen ..... Glad to see you recieved your new Toy".

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Looks like a nice trail run minus the rain.. Sorry to hear about your issues Haku

Nice write up Josh, you do some of the best I've read.

Josh - Great trip report! Sorry it took me so long to post. How's the new Toyota treating you?

Name:  IMG_2826_640x480.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  253.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2832_640x480.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  185.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2837_640x480.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  210.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2848_640x480.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  243.7 KB

Great Pics....Kinda makes me miss the Samurai even though I still have it. Kinda makes me wanna fix it up and keep it. Despite the bad day it was fun wheeling with ya'll.

I'm lovin the new Yota for sure. 1200 miles and 5 trails in a week already, so that says something.

JH