This weekend I'm taking a quick trip with our boys (6 & 9) to State Forest State Park, Moose Visitor Center, an overnight in Walden, the North Sand Hills, and back home. I've been wanting to do this since I got the Wells book at the beginning of the year. This is essentially a scouting trip to help me plan a real vacation to the area later (maybe next year).

Looks like we'll be looking for one more half-day activity. Looking at my Wells' book Montgomery Pass, Baker Pass, and Green Ridge Road are in the area.

Montgomery Pass isn't on traildamage and looks pretty easy/friendly according to Wells. Probably a safe bet. Baker Pass isn't on traildamage directly, but the pictures or cabin ruins in the Wells book intrigue me as I think the kids would love that. Green Ridge is on trail damage where it mentions Baker Pass as a part of the "mud loop". Forest Service says it's currently closed with recent pictures from 6/19.

Anyone have experience with Montgomery Pass or Baker Pass? Worried about snow on Montgomery Pass as the Unimog guys tried mid-June in 2003 and ran into a lot of snow,

http://www.rockymountainmoggers.com/2003062022rmm.html

I'm going to call the Moose Visitor Center tomorrow to try to get some more info on these two trails.

Alternatively, I could use Kelly Flats or Sevenmile Creek as a way to break up the trip home.