Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Wheeler Lake 5-10

Default Wheeler Lake 5-10

Montgomery Res is closed and iced over still except for small areas at the 2 inlets.
    Got up to the mine with no snow. Just past the mine about 100 yds there was a 2 ft deep patch of snow I had to bash through. Got through and around the corner and the trail was all snow for as far as I could see. I was by myself so I didn't want to try any further. There were no tracks at all.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Wheeler Lake 5-10

Answers that question. Thanks for the report.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Thanks for the update Ken!

Lets get a group together to bash the trail out in about a month with Twin Cone as the 'real' run....People will probably start pushing this trail open pretty soon, so let's get out there are see how far we get with some set up rigs...Figure on getting stuck, winching, towing, etc, then run TC...

I'm sure I could of went further up but figured it was just going to get deeper and being alone it wasn't very wise to try to push it any further. 18" of snow on a narrow trail makes for some tough going. You need much taller tires to get that diff up higher so you aren't pushing so much.
    I figured it was early in the year but just had to see for myself. You just never know. A month sounds good. I keep in touch with my friend in Farilplay. I'll see what he says as time goes on. I posted on Colo4x too so there should be some interest and some guys picking away at it in a month or so.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Fred would be up for it and he lives in Frisco. Dave Pritchett might be willing to test the locked Dana RocJocs on his rig, SCRUBICON may want to go...Kinda needs a bunch of locked rigs (and I'll have my rear ARB either shimmed so that it's just a spool or fixed) with winches, so this will be a 'hard core' run...Don't really care who goes, they just need to be set up for it and have the right attitude....

We can fake the winches bit, but I would say that only locked rigs should go on this as we will be pulling the locked rigs out often enough....

Brody previously posted:
    "Thanks for the update Ken!

Lets get a group together to bash the trail out in about a month with Twin Cone as the 'real' run....People will probably start pushing this trail open pretty soon, so let's get out there are see how far we get with some set up rigs...Figure on getting stuck, winching, towing, etc, then run TC..."

im there pete, ill have my winch on by then! ill bash with ya

Randy, I don't really want to be the one to say this but I think this is a bit much for your wheelbase and not locked. At least if we get up higher. There is not allot to hook a winch too if I recall and you will just pull me down and or rip me in half.

What does everyone else think? I don't want to be left out on a limb here.

TC is doable for you but you may have to leave Brutis at the Wheeler trailhead and ride shotgun with someone.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I think Ken has a point. There is jack to winch from and the trail is really narrow. If you were to get stuck, we would have some real issues as we would be hard pressed to get two rigs hooked up to yours. If you had lockers, it might be a different story...but I have gotten really stuck in the snow on that trail locked up F/R...

Come along and do Twin Cone with your rig. Park yours for Wheeler until the trail is runnable up to the lake. You can ride along with me if you want as LaDawn doesn't really think this part of wheeling is a joy...

hey forewarnings are welcomed as i have not been on many of these trails. And i dont mind shotgun. i could be a good shovel slave

Of course we will have to go back and pick up brutus on the way home...LOL or i could just hitch a ride with someone the whole way.

Are these trails doable with no snow at all in my rig?

Twin Cone is. I would highly doubt that Wheeler is though mostly because of the ledges you have to get up. They aren't long but with your wheelbase I'm not too sure.

Look at some of the pictures on TrailDamage.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I agree with Ken...You could do Twin Cone, but getting turned around at the top would be sporting...just a gazillion point turn for you...

Wheeler...man, I don't know......probably make short work of the first obstacle cause you can essentially span the ruts everyone gets hung up in. Second obstacle you would have a hard time even coming in from the right side, then hooking up and right....hardest I think would be the last little sting in the tail just before the lake, where it is uphill, narrow and rocky...I have seen full size on Wheeler, but they have regular full size, not full size 'bus size'. They all rode their rails pretty hard....

Be interesting to try it sometime, but I wouldn't even think about it before you got the rails and some good protection going on underneath....

oh yeah i am going to armor up the bottom of the frame real good. thanks for the foresight ken and pete! I will ride along with someone on wheeler lake then

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Wheeler is a great trail. If you got to bowling ball hill and had to turn around that could be problem-matic. However when it melts you should do this trail... It really is a great one and you can do it just fine... Might be a bit bumpy that's about it.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Funrover previously posted:
    "Wheeler is a great trail. If you got to bowling ball hill and had to turn around that could be problem-matic. However when it melts you should do this trail... It really is a great one and you can do it just fine... Might be a bit bumpy that's about it."

Hell...it would cause a short wheelbase rig problems turning around on that hill! I have broken trail all the way to the base of the hill, only to decide that I didn't want to try to back down it because the snow was too deep. I couldn't figure out how I would get turned back around....