4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

Default Illinois Gulch 5-2-2009

Well I decided that I needed to get out today. Unfortunately my buddy had to bail. But I decided to hit up Illinois Gulch anyways. Not too eventful, the rock slab was definitely more impressive in person. I've done Holy Cross, Wheeler Lake, Chinamans and I've never touched my rear bumper. Today my back end was held up in the air by it. It's a really fun obstacle and good thing the trail is pretty close other wise I'm not sure it'd be worth the drive for just one obstacle. But since it is pretty close it's well worth the drive. I managed to loose a bump stop so my rear coil came out. Therefore I didn't make it all the way to the top but pretty close.

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Illinois Gulch 5-2-2009

And my trail fix ...

ouch man good you were able to get out ok

Is Illinois Gulch the same as Rainbow Falls???

Cool pics and Id like to definately try out that rock slab. Glad you made it out ok.

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

oh the spring coming out wasn't that big of a deal. the only real concern was the shock bottoming out. had to stack a few rocks getting over the slab everything was slick as snot! To get to Illinois you turn off on rainbow falls and there are several trails back there. and a whole bunch of spur roads. Illinois is route 344 back there. So you are thinking of the right area.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

4Runninfun previously posted:
    "oh the spring coming out wasn't that big of a deal. the only real concern was the shock bottoming out."

In my cheap fixes I mentioned using the poly bushing from an old shock to use on the rod end of the shock shaft to keep this from happening. Just take an old shock bushing, cut it in half, and then zip tie it onto the shaft. It acts like a mini bump stop for the shock.

Here is a picture: Well, I tried 4 times to upload a picture and it didn't work for s**t! Site seems really glitchy this AM. Got the same message that I had already uploaded the picture...so where did it go? Anyhow, here is the link in lieu of a picture:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2370

You're lame. LOL

Before doing this you must make sure your shock mounts can handle the bump stop load.
    All the unsprung weight of that side plus inertia will be on the mounting points. Shock bolts and mounts may not have been designed to handle this type of load.

I would not necessarily trust the top picture. I would at least gusset the sides of the tab or attach the top to the truss. There is still allot of sheer on the bolt. The bottom one should be OK being the bolt is supported on both ends by a clevis type mount. This is assuming the tower is strong enough.

man that looks like it was fun. im definately goin on the 10th

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Ken

RE top picture you posted:

That is a 3/4" shock bolt welded to the axle tube, then welded to the bracket on both sides, then welded to the axle gusset. All the force is on the 9/16" stud that the actual shock is mounted to and most of the force is going to be closer to the tab. The picture doesn't show where the 3/4" backside of the shock mount is welded x3 to the axle tube. And for sure, I could weld another tab onto the outside, but there has been no deflection in the existing set up. I also both bump stops and limiting straps in the back and bumpstops in the front. Basically, if the shock or mounts start to take the kind of abuse that would break or bend a shock mount, you have other issues that need to be dealt with: shock length, limiting straps and or bump stops. Most factory shock mounts are total cheese, but people have been using this Factory cheese crap on lifted rigs forever. These are way stronger than that...There is also a brake line in the way that I didn't feel necessary to deal with. Look at my album pictures and you can see it has been stress tested to the max more than once.It has been like this for 3 years enduring all sorts of nasty abuse....

The hoop mounts are standard double shock mounting tabs that is the standard way to mount shocks to hoops. These have been fine for 5+ years and have also endured much nasty abuse with absolutely no signs of failure. Oh...and the tower is gusseted back to the frame on both sides and the back and the hoop tube is thick...These haven't bent either...or I would've made a cross brace over the engine that I can remove.

And I have never, ever had any welds I have ever done break or crack...no matter the abuse...

I built up this Ford back in 84-custom long arms, custom towers, custom bumpers, custom sway away, rebuilt motor, tranny and T case mounts..anyway, a pissload of welding. I endo'd this doing about 40 or so. The body and frame were totaled. I later used all the other stuff on a 69 Bronco frame off...nothing I built was either broken or bent, even though this took a VERY hard hit...This picture was taken after I had gotten the truck off it's top and had drug it out of the road.

I posted that picture as a helpful hint for a cheap bump stop, anyway, not to discuss how I build my S**T...

looked like fun and sorry about the carnage

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "In my cheap fixes I mentioned using the poly bushing from an old shock to use on the rod end of the shock shaft to keep this from happening."

yeah i remember and as soon as this happened i thought about that. D'oh! What i really need to do is go down to the scrap yard and find some square tube and remount my shocks in a /\ fashion. thus eliminating the possibility of this happening again. but i'll prolly zip tie some bushings on in the mean time.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Great pics.. Do you think my parents rig could get up the slab(not the big portion) just incast mine isn't going yet???

BTW thanks for the visual on the size of the drop

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

well... lets put it this way the way i headed back up seamed like the easiest way to go and as is i had to stack a few rocks to get my tires up. also i made some new marks on the rocks with my sliders, and you know how often i hit them. (if you remember on Chinamans i had to find a rock to test them on) would i take your parents rig up there? no. have i seen you do dumber stuff? yes.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

"well... lets put it this way the way i headed back up seamed like the easiest way to go and as is i had to stack a few rocks to get my tires up. also i made some new marks on the rocks with my sliders, and you know how often i hit them. (if you remember on Chinamans i had to find a rock to test them on) would i take your parents rig up there? no. have i seen you do dumber stuff? yes. "

A warning and a challenge....Hmmm..LOL And a compliment too..hahaha :lol:

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Wow, that is quite a shelf. I think my exhaust would be quite smashed after coming down, or rather scraping myself off. I knew I had seen your rig in front of me once. Isn't that the decal for the Rebellion?

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

Yes it is lol where did you see me at?

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

"Yes it is lol where did you see me at?"

Red 5 standing by...

I don't know where but it was before I showed up on FR4x4. I am pretty sure you were up here, I wasn't down by Monument.

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

Pathrat previously posted:
    "Red 5 standing by..."

:lol:

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

":lol:"

You can be Red 5, I just don't want to be Red 6. Porkins went out badly (but he was a ginger, after all ).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast