and learned a great deal about Jeeps and Automotive maintenance in general

Rebuilt and Replaced Specs.
    Brand New 4.2L 258ci straight six
    Rebuilt the stock carburetor
    3" Superlift suspension lift kit
    U-Bolt Rear Flange w/ Spicer U-Joint
    Replaced wiring Harness
    Replaced Vacuum lines
    Rebuilt Transmission (did not do myself)
    4x4 Posi Lock system
    New paint job
    33"x12.50 Pro Comp Mud-Terrains
    Dana 35's

Next upgrade finding out how how to chop down and fabricate Dana 44's to fit an 88 Wrangler YJ If anyone can help or let me know if that would be safe

If you can help that would be great

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Eric 88 Wrangler YJ

Wow, quite a build you did! Nice

Don't know if you have seen it... but if not, try this: http://www.offroaders.com/directory/axles/dana44.htm

Thanks

irprnces previously posted:
    "Don't know if you have seen it... but if not, try this: http://www.offroaders.com/directory/axles/dana44.htm"

Thanks this should be useful

I hope so. I only have experience workin' on the Ram so that won't help too much for ya...

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Jeepkid previously posted:
    "I have rebuilt a 1988 Jeep Wrangler YJ

I have put Blood, Sweat, and Tears in to it

and learned a great deal about Jeeps and Automotive maintenance in general

Rebuilt and Replaced Specs.
    Brand New 4.2L 258ci straight six
    Rebuilt the stock carburetor
    3" Superlift suspension lift kit
    U-Bolt Rear Flange w/ Spicer U-Joint
    Replaced wiring Harness
    Replaced Vacuum lines
    Rebuilt Transmission (did not do myself)
    4x4 Posi Lock system
    New paint job
    33"x12.50 Pro Comp Mud-Terrains
    Dana 35's

Next upgrade finding out how how to chop down and fabricate Dana 44's to fit an 88 Wrangler YJ If anyone can help or let me know if that would be safe

If you can help that would be great"

Don't know if I said welcome to site or not, but I'll say it now: Welcome!

To answer your question on the Dana 44s: I posted an article/link in the Tech section or how to section awhile back about using a Dana 44 from a Rodeo in the back of a Jeep. Turns out the axle width is the same and all you have to deal with are the mounts for the Jeep stuff for the links.

Try to find it and if you have trouble, PM me and I'll either find my post or send you a link for the information. It'll save you bunches of grief, at least for the rear. You also might find it cheaper to do the Dana 35 axle upgrade with chrome moly axles, etc, rather than replacing the whole axle. Just a thought there, as I am not a big fan any Danas under the 44.

Here are some:

http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-mid-...-passport.html

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ide/index.html

http://www.cj-8.com/index.php?option...catid=99&aid=4

http://www.csloffroad.com/jeepzjxjwjaxleinfo.aspx

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=475229

Hope that this info helps out

White Lightning previously posted:
    "I would suggest a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer in the rear, that is what I put in mine. It has 31 spline axles and the swap is super simple. I run 35s and have never had an issue"

This is what i'm looking to do with my jeep. Just need to get the time to find one and then have someone put it on for me

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

JeepersCreepers previously posted:
    "This is what i'm looking to do with my jeep. Just need to get the time to find one and then have someone put it on for me"

Hey Josh

Either Jon, Bear, or I will be happy to do the swap for you. PM any one of us as to you time frame and $$ and let us know. I can source one for you out of a yard here in town. Just give me a heads up. I think that Jon and I are going to do a little boneyarding when he is in town Friday. I will do a prelimary looksee when we are there and get some prices..

White Lightning previously posted:
    "I would suggest a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer in the rear, that is what I put in mine. It has 31 spline axles and the swap is super simple. I run 35s and have never had an issue"

I'll have to check that out to see if it will work for an 88 thanks for all the help guys

I'll post some pics when I find and start the work

once again thank you everyone for the help

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

It will work, not only that but you gain disc breaks in the rear!

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Funrover previously posted:
    "It will work, not only that but you gain disc breaks in the rear!"

What would a setup like this cost (parts and labor with me helping as much as I can)? I too am looking to get rid of (or upgrade) my D35 at some point. Mines a TJ though so the mounts would be different but that should be about it I would think.

Aaron

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I was just at Colorado Auto Parts off of Santa Fe. They had Rangers, Explorers, Rodeos and Troopers. Their price for a U Pull It axles complete was $125-150 dependent on if it had rear discs or drums. This is a very reasonable price.

As far as an install, with someone(like the owner) helping, it would take a full day maybe more, start to finish. Probably labor would be in the $300-400 range...non shop.

Speaking of Colorado Auto: there are a couple of 84-87 Yota PUs, one Sammi, and a Disco there as of today. There was also an 85 Yota, but someone already scammed the front axle..... Lotsa drive shafts and CVs lying about, too...

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "I was just at Colorado Auto Parts off of Santa Fe. They had Rangers, Explorers, Rodeos and Troopers. Their price for a U Pull It axles complete was $125-150 dependent on if it had rear discs or drums. This is a very reasonable price.

As far as an install, with someone(like the owner) helping, it would take a full day maybe more, start to finish. Probably labor would be in the $300-400 range...non shop.

Speaking of Colorado Auto: there are a couple of 84-87 Yota PUs, one Sammi, and a Disco there as of today. There was also an 85 Yota, but someone already scammed the front axle..... Lotsa drive shafts and CVs lying about, too..."

I assume the time/labor cost is per end, right?

JeepKid, sorry for threadjacking...

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

aphillips76 previously posted:
    "I assume the time/labor cost is per end, right?"

Yes. It partially depends on what you get the axles off of and how much fabbing needs to be done. There are a lot of places (Blue Torch Fabrication is one) that sell pre fabbed mounts of all kinds, and at not too bad of a price. You can find a huge selection of fabrication brackets from a lot of different manufacturers, especially for anything Jeep, that save a huge amount of time.

Usually the biggest hassle in doing this kind of work is figuring out the steering. The less that you have to alter the existing Jeep steering set up, the better. If the axle for the front that you want to install is quite a bit different, then you can also add the cost of a new tie rod, drag link, steering knuckles onto an already expensive project. This is one of the reasons finding a Dana 44 from an older Jeep is a boon as the steering requires very little messing with.

If you do get serious about doing this, post it here or PM me and I'll start doing more research into alternatives and solutions for you so that you have a better idea of the price of this.

The price I quoted is probably less than half what a shop would cost.

Here is the link to the thread I posted on this site regarding the Rodeo 44 to Jeep axle swap:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3145

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Very good info. I'll probably think more about it once I crap all over my first D35 Axle which from what I read, might not be too long.

As an alternative, have you heard any good things about the super 35 kit? I've heard they basically get you somewhere between a D44 and a D35 with a lot less hassle.

Brody previously posted:
    "Hey Josh

Either Jon, Bear, or I will be happy to do the swap for you. PM any one of us as to you time frame and $$ and let us know. I can source one for you out of a yard here in town. Just give me a heads up. I think that Jon and I are going to do a little boneyarding when he is in town Friday. I will do a prelimary looksee when we are there and get some prices.."

Sounds like a plan to me! I know of a couple of junkyards here in the springs. I just don't have the time to get to any of them. I know that denver area also has a few Upull and Pays where parts are pretty cheap. But I'll definately take you up on the offer to have the axle swap done when I have the time and $$$.

those little 258 staight sixs are darn near bullet proof. nice build so far

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

"Very good info. I'll probably think more about it once I crap all over my first D35 Axle which from what I read, might not be too long.

As an alternative, have you heard any good things about the super 35 kit? I've heard they basically get you somewhere between a D44 and a D35 with a lot less hassle."

To a degree 'polishing a turd' isn't a bad analogy (I loved that BTW! Never heard it before..LMAO here!) ,but the 'super 35' kits are a stop gap measure. I know people on this site and other wheelers that wheel hard with the 35 and have never broken anything in it. I know people that have used the super 35 kit and swear by it. I personally don't like the Dana 30 or 35 axles and feel like they are a very weak axle. I have broken Dana 35s in my Jeep(when I had one) once to the point of blowing out the king pins on one side. And, let me tell you, there is nothing in the world as fun as replacing an axle and king pins on a hill, in the winter, in a relatively remote location...

I would throw some extra Dana 35 parts in the rig when you wheel. There are bunches at the yards. Save your money for an axle upgrade, but learn how to replace the axles. It goes really fast...I think there are less than 15 bolts, including the lug nuts, that you have to take off.

Last Online
    May 25th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

I personally polish my turds with a tumbler. A bit messy but boy do they come out shiny.

Brody, thanks for the info. I think I will be doing some research on how to change out the axles on the Jeep. Any suggested reading (online or not)?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

"Brody, thanks for the info. I think I will be doing some research on how to change out the axles on the Jeep. Any suggested reading (online or not)?"

I'll see what I can turn up. I'll be able to do this tomorrow AM...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast