Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DiscoI & RRC dropped radius arms

Default DiscoI & RRC dropped radius arms

Front radius arms for Range Rover Classic and Discovery I models with 3"-5" lift. Your stock arms in exchange. Price does not include new bushings but I can press out and replace at no charge to you. $250.00

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Default Re: DiscoI & RRC dropped radius arms

You able to do trailing arms?

yes

that said, I would need to know what your objective is in replacing what you have first. Lifting it more, more articulation, moving the axle back, etc...

Where does the pinion point with these arms, as in, are they setup for a double cardan or a standard front drive shaft? (Can't quite tell in the pic as the pinion is hidden.)

Are these of your own creation or are they Rovertym arms?

Thanks!

I made these to mimic the stock pinion angle at lift height. They are similar, very similar to rovertym radius arms. If you are running the double cv it would increase your angle by 4.02deg. Already accounted for this in my figures, basically you would be fine with a double cv.

by the way heres a great way to make your own: Double CV

I get all confused when angle numbers start coming out. :lol:

Let me describe my situation to see if we're on the same page. I've got 3" Rovertym springs (RR4 and RR1), stock radius arms, and a double cardan front shaft. My pinion is pointing too high/too far up with the stock arms. I wouldn't mind getting it down some so that it is closer to pointing at the output of the t-case, vice pointing at the passenger's groin. (But, I don't want the pinion ending up too low either.) That way, I could gain a few degrees of caster back to improve the highway manners. But, exactly how many degrees I need to rotate the axle back to get the pinion pointing properly is unknown, since I haven't gone that far.

Since it's painfully obvious I'm never going to get around to making a set like you've done, I figure I'll have to bite the bullet and buy some mod'd arms. I'd really like to have a better setup (like a link setup) for more flex, but I doubt I'll ever want to invest that kind of money and time into more mods. So, mod'd radius arms will probably be it for me.

Clear as mud?

Very..... that said this would return your pinion angle back to the stock angle and your Caster angle to its original position and helping your steering.

What size tires are you running?

How are yours different from Rovertym including engineering and trail test time???

Just a question...

Tye previously posted:
    "How are yours different from Rovertym including engineering and trail test time???

Just a question..."

I dont mean to come off hard but I have some rear disconnect sway bars and could make the kit up but it wouldnt be mine to selll off.

greenramp previously posted:
    "Very..... that said this would return your pinion angle back to the stock angle and your Caster angle to its original position and helping your steering.

What size tires are you running?"

I'm running 255/85-16s...

Since I bought my Disco modded, I don't know what the stock angle for the pinion is so I make the assumption that the pinion was optimized for a non-double cardan driveshaft (which I don't have). If that's true, then the stock pinion angle would be too low for a double cardan driveshaft... am I on the right path here? This is the norm for other makes, so I don't see why it'd be different for a LR.

Tye previously posted:
    "I dont mean to come off hard but I have some rear disconnect sway bars and could make the kit up but it wouldnt be mine to selll off."

He's not selling his arms under the Rovertym label... I only asked because I suspected he made his own, but they looked so much like Rovertym's that I wanted to clarify.

I'd suspect his have been well tested and he wouldn't be selling them if they were falling apart/welds breaking. One should always look for that sort of stuff when buying used parts (I am assuming the ones being sold are the exact ones in the pic and are a one-off... not a part he's making lots of, if you get my drift).

If you can make a disconnect kit, sell them as your own. Though, expect some folks to jump all over you because they'd be Rovertym knockoffs.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

greenramp previously posted:
    "yes

that said, I would need to know what your objective is in replacing what you have first. Lifting it more, more articulation, moving the axle back, etc..."

Currently I have stock arms w/ a 3" RTE lift. I want to set my axle back where it should be, increase articulation, and just have a better stance... What are you looking at for prices? also can you build the A-arm drop to keep everything kosher?

Tye previously posted:
    "How are yours different from Rovertym including engineering and trail test time???

Just a question..."

I dont mean to be harsh as well but:
    I built them so there different, I'm an Engineer so they are engineered, and I run them on my vehicle so they are trail tested.

Nothing wrong with making something similar to someone elses as long as you don't say that you thought of it and tested it to bla bla bla.
    I clearly admit that Rovertym gave me the idea. I saw no need for me to buy them if I could make my own. So I did about a year ago and left it at that, just to see how strong they were. They have survived well and with the economy the way it is, I figured I would offer up some at a cheaper price than theirs. Really cheap if you have bushings or the ones in your arms are good. This isn't buying a porche over a festiva; it's buying a porche cheaper form one dealer over another

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Older Land Cruiser owners see lots of comments when someone fabs stuff like "That looks like so & so's design." The fact is anyone making something functional and well designed doesn't have that many options to make it look unique to themselves unless they spend unproductive time on cosmetics adding no benefit.

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

jimmy- if i owned a rover with a 3"+ lift i would get these arms as soon as possible. i know aaron has a pic somewhere of the difference between the stock rad arms and the corrected arms. the difference is huge like, 8"-10" of drop, and the overall movement of the arm feels much smoother.

I obviously made the wrong assumption. So, you're offering to make the arms vice selling a one-off set.

Are you set up to make just the one set of arms? Or is your jig (assuming you're using one) capable of being adjusted to make slightly different angled arms?

Since I don't need a set of arms that brings the pinion back to the original/factory position (which was intended for a standard driveshaft), then I suppose these aren't for me.

4Runninfun previously posted:
    "jimmy- if i owned a rover with a 3"+ lift i would get these arms as soon as possible. i know aaron has a pic somewhere of the difference between the stock rad arms and the corrected arms. the difference is huge like, 8"-10" of drop, and the overall movement of the arm feels much smoother."

Oh yeah, no doubt I need to ditch the stock arms - no question there! Clearly my concern is where these particular arms place the pinion. Since I won't be going taller anytime soon (it barely fits in the garage now), it wouldn't be wise to get an arm good for a 5" lift.

If I knew that these arms would put my pinion where it needs to be, then it'd be a done deal! Especially since I think I've got ANOTHER ruined bushing in those factory arms, which needs to be addressed. If I've got to pull the arm out, I'd rather replace them with a better arm with new bushings.

2 things happen when you lift a vehicle with radius arms.
    1st the frame end of the radius arms binds as it is being pushed down due to the angle of the bushings not being correct.
    2nd the caster and pinion angle are effected.

these arms in there current design correct all the on a vehicle raised 3"
    it is advised that you also get caster corrected ball joints with the 5" kit.

I was just causing trouble and didnt mean to start crap...anybody that knows me knows that.

I do want to thank you for helping my buddy out with the transmision

Anyone know what the stock angle for the pinion on the D1/RRC is? As in, when I stick my magnetic angle finder on the flange, what would it read? I read somewhere that the outputs of the pinion and the t-case are not parallel on the D1... that the pinion is pointing up a bit stock. So, that just makes this a bit more annoying. I'd like to have a better idea of where these arms move the pinion to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast