Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: conceal permit instruction

Default conceal permit instruction

Here is the info that was asked of me for who i am taking the class from. I know him from work he is 2 floors down from me at my work. Good guy, and he owns his own business. He is licensed to instruct conceal classes and is also a gunsmith/dealer.

here is his info.

John Melton
    303-638-5328
    commknightj@hotmail.com

When you call him let him know i referred you to him.

Randy

Chris is it ok to post this? if not i understand

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

Default Re: conceal permit instruction

thanks for this! this is on my to-do list in the immediate future

He runs the class out of his house and then the range is about 25 minutes away.

I will let him inform you of the fees and what to bring, he only get you the certification to apply for a permit but as with all classes you still need to submit it to the local sheriff office near you to get the permit. If he isnt in your price range or what you looking for shop around, i dont know what the going rate for conceal class is.

DEEZLPWR previously posted:
    "i dont know what the going rate for conceal class is."

From what I've observed, about $100-125.

Not a bad site for those who are interested: http://www.coloradocarry.com/forums/

Last Online
    February 17th, 2021
    4x4
    4Runner - Sold
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

"Chris is it ok to post this? if not i understand "

Perfectly fine.

Last Online
    January 31st, 2015
    4x4
    '85 Toyota 4runner - Speed Racer
    User Name
    4runner freak
    Real Name
    Danny
    Thanks Given

"it is actually a guy i know that works in my building he is really cool. He is federally licensed to teach and is a gunsmith/dealer as well. He is who i am purchasing my stag 6.8spc-AR from. I will post his info in the chat section.
    "

Just FYI
    While I think it is very necessary for EVERYONE to be familiar with a gun and know proper safety and the laws of where they are... There is a loophole in CO and you don't have to GO to a safety class to get your CCW.
    If you are already familiar with guns, know how to shoot one and actually DO, you can actually take a "home class". HighlandsRanchFirearms.com offers one for $50. I heard about this a while ago, when the gun training classes were booked 3-6 months out.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

4runner freak previously posted:
    "Just FYI
    While I think it is very necessary for EVERYONE to be familiar with a gun and know proper safety and the laws of where they are... There is a loophole in CO and you don't have to GO to a safety class to get your CCW.
    If you are already familiar with guns, know how to shoot one and actually DO, you can actually take a "home class". HighlandsRanchFirearms.com offers one for $50. I heard about this a while ago, when the gun training classes were booked 3-6 months out."

Good information, thanks!

4runner freak previously posted:
    "Just FYI
    If you are already familiar with guns, know how to shoot one and actually DO, you can actually take a "home class". HighlandsRanchFirearms.com offers one for $50. I heard about this a while ago, when the gun training classes were booked 3-6 months out."

Also if I may add... if you were in the Armed Forces and have Pistol experience/qualification AND have been Discharged within 10yrs, you may use your DD214 as proof of firearms training when turning in your CCW Application at your local County Sheriffs Office. My brother recently got his CCW using his DD214. I myself was able to use a transcript of firearms training at a Federal Law Enforcement Academy I attended 4yrs ago. I was also prior Military but have been out just a little over 10yrs so was unable to use my DD214.

yeah im already out by 11 yrs :( i could have used the reciprosity but i didnt have the money... oh well...

Forget the permit...Just wear it on your hip! John Wayne style!

Fred previously posted:
    "Forget the permit...Just wear it on your hip! John Wayne style! "

Just don't go into Denver like that.... it's illegal. :tsk:

Everywhere else is OK. Though, you don't see it in urban areas very much - I've only seen open carry in the mountains.

[QUOTE=Jimmy;29075]Just don't go into Denver like that.... it's illegal. :tsk:QUOTE]

Good to know! I live in the mountains so I don't know too much about Denver.

I think people get a little freaked out if they see someone open carrying and they obviously aren't law enforcement. They figure you're a little wacko in the head or something. :lol:

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

The only time I saw a guy carrying openly, he was on an atv, with a bunch of other atvs, in Utah or Colorado, can't remember which. In that kind of circumstance, I prefer the open carry as it lets you know a bit about who you are chatting with.

I saw a guy with 2 six shooters, one on each hip in Walmart in Cheyenne, WY. I first looked around for the cameraman...none there! Judging by the wear on the holsters, this was an everyday thing for that guy.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Fred previously posted:
    "I saw a guy with 2 six shooters, one on each hip in Walmart in Cheyenne, WY. I first looked around for the cameraman...none there! Judging by the wear on the holsters, this was an everyday thing for that guy."

No kidding! Like Wyatt Earp.

i open carry with my survival vest when i camp... no one complains. they did look at me a bit weird/scared as i was wearing my bdu's but oh well.. lol

Fred previously posted:
    "I saw a guy with 2 six shooters, one on each hip in Walmart in Cheyenne, WY. I first looked around for the cameraman...none there! Judging by the wear on the holsters, this was an everyday thing for that guy."

Whoa that would of been kinda crazy to see in a Walmart. Was he an older guy?

I'll also "open carry" when camping/hiking using a tactical thigh holster.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Fred previously posted:

LMAO!!!... Sounds like WY! My wife is from there and I see that kinda thing everytime I go... although we never get near the large city of Cheyenne... to many people hahaha:lol::lol:

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

When I was visiting my brother and his wife in Madison WI, I mentioned that I had sold my pistol and would be looking for a replacement at some point and I got the 'why do you need one?'. My brother's wife is from Argentina and he told her "it's the West out there, it's different". I didn't say much else about it but it is different than University Town, Midwest USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast