Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Newb here

Default Newb here

Hey everyone. New to the forums and semi-new to 4x4'ing as this is my first 4x4 rig. It's a stock 04 Silverado Z71 that I got back at the end of 07. Anyway, I'm fairy new to Colorado as I moved here back in September with my wife from Oklahoma. Hoping to get some good info on the fairly easy to slighly moderate trails.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Newb here

Welcome aboard! You'll find some great info here with lots of oportunities to get out on the trail with people. I havn't been in Colorado for a year yet myself and I have already hit a lot of trails. Hope to see you out there sometime!

Welcome!! Yeah, good info...trail rides...its all here!:fr4x4:

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Welcome Vader33! Nice to have you here, I'm sure you'll enjoy 4x4's in this area vs your old home. I never had a 4x4 until there lure of the Rockies grabbed me. I couldn't imagine not spending most of my free time wheeling now. I look forward to you joining a run in the near future.

:welcome:

what options is yours? longbed/short, ex/reg cab? you got a couple full sizers here that are well and capable, you will be welcomed here!

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Welcome! Look forward to seeing you on the trails!

Welcome to the site and you are among a great bunch of people on here! They are very helpful and friendly. I look forward to meeting up with you sometime as a native here there are tons of trails for all levels of 4x4ing.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Welcome to the site! Just check out the trail run report for the anniversary run...a great bunch of folks here and we do have some fun on the runs we do!

Good information on the site, trails, etc. Charles Wells books (FunTreks) and traildamage.com are probably your two best sources of trail information. These, as well as a few other sources are listed in the 'trail resources' section of the forum. A lot of us also check out what runs the folks over on Colorado4x4 have been doing, too in their trail run reports.

Looking forward to meeting you soon!

Welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone...a lot different from the car forum I used to frequent back in OK.

DEEZLPWR previously posted:
    "what options is yours? longbed/short, ex/reg cab? you got a couple full sizers here that are well and capable, you will be welcomed here!"

It's the base Z71. 5.3, shortbed, crew cab (4 full size doors). Not many of them out here that I've seen.

I'm actually looking for a cheap (less than $800) 4x4 that I can make my full time off road rig. Something like a Scout, Sami, maybe even a shortbox Ranger or S10 (post 1983).

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hey

If you up your price to around the $1200-1400 dollar range , you might find something running. Gotta keep in mind that not only are taxes higher here,and housing and property more expensive, the base price for 4x4s, new and used is just about what the market will bear. The 4x4 prices here are almost as expensive as they are in California, which has the highest (for 4x4s) of all the states. We were pricing 4x4s awhile back and any state that is flat, no one really wants 4xs, so the prices are low. Here, it is the opposite...everyone wants to have one.

If you aren't familiar with craigslist.org, by all means check it out. Just google 'craigslist denver'. Also, you might want to check out 'westword backpage' another free advertising service. Also watch for any posts by Patrolman in the cool finds section on this forum. Jeff posts all sorts of deals that he spots.

There have been a few cheap Scouts that he has posted, too. You also might want to include Toyotas in your search as they make a great builder platform and have really good factory axles. I know of a number of Toyotas that were turn key crawlers-lockers, lifted, cages, beefed axles, etc. that were sold for $4-6K, too, so that is another thought. Last I heard, Jeff's brother had two for sale.

diesels are going to be even more pricey

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

vader33 previously posted:
    "Thanks for the warm welcome everyone...a lot different from the car forum I used to frequent back in OK.

It's the base Z71. 5.3, shortbed, crew cab (4 full size doors). Not many of them out here that I've seen.

I'm actually looking for a cheap (less than $800) 4x4 that I can make my full time off road rig. Something like a Scout, Sami, maybe even a shortbox Ranger or S10 (post 1983)."

They are out there. I picked up my scout off craiglist last fall for $800 totally road legal and functional. Even passed emissions on the first try. Just gotta keep searching and wait for the deal, they definitely show up!

Welcome.

You will be able to find a Sammy for $500-$800 but it won't be very family friendly. By the time you are done building it though you will have a very capable rig for under a 2 or 3 thousand easy that will kick butt on the trails. A big expense is $ for tires which you will need for whatever you get. You can get some half used take offs for cheep if you keep a diligent eye open.
    Colorado4x4 and craigshelper.com

If you get stuck on a Sammy let me know and I can help you a ton.
    KB

vader33 previously posted:
    "Hey everyone. New to the forums and semi-new to 4x4'ing as this is my first 4x4 rig. It's a stock 04 Silverado Z71 that I got back at the end of 07. Anyway, I'm fairy new to Colorado as I moved here back in September with my wife from Oklahoma. Hoping to get some good info on the fairly easy to slighly moderate trails."

Welcome to Front Range 4x4!!!