Thread: Trail run suggestions

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Trail run suggestions

Chris...didn't you 'appoint' someone to plan some of the trail runs...like the specific ones? I think it would be a good idea to post up some of the same type runs we did last year that everyone had fun on: 'stockers without lockers', 'ladies run' and maybe a 'full size' run this year as we now have a bunch of full size rigs. Just get them on the board so that folks can plan around them. We also need to post the Barbour Forks clean up runs, too. Ditto with the Moab runs people are talking about, even though LaDawn and I will probably not go on one of those unless the job situation changes...

Might be nice to get these on the boards so that folks can plan...add a night run and some other fun stuff. Wasn't Tye going to be doing this? If not, I can look at a calendar (!!!!!...me??) and rough some stuff out and post it up. I'll just double check traildamage for when some of the trails open up.

Another "recovery run" would be good to do , too, as we have so many new faces.Any suggestions from Pathrat would be welcome, too, as she is full of ideas.....

I might not be the best person to do this as my finances suck at the moment and longer trips are out(like Black Bear Pass and anything in that area), but this is just a suggestion. With Spring and Summer around the corner and trails opening up, getting this stuff posted would allow folks to do some planning, especially folks with kids and families...

Suggestions from everyone are welcome and appreciated, of course. And if you already have a run planned for a certain time, please add it to the calendar and to the trails run thread, especially for the longer trips as people ned to plan time around these....

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Trail run suggestions

I agree these should be added though nobody jumped at the offer. We're kind of back to where we were on the run planning from the beginning.

IIRC Funrover suggested these: 'stockers without lockers' and 'ladies run' - how about it Aaron?

A 'full size' run this year is a good idea.

Another 'recovery run' would be Pathrat's and trail cleanups have to wait until Barbour Fork re-opens. Patrolman, would this be a volunteer activity?

An Ouray run should be planned for some time after July 4th to avoid snow.

I'll check Moab, I think we have a date for this that's not on the calendar.

Well seeing that i have a fullsize i can use it as the garbage truck and dump allot into it. For being new to the group i can see it growing fast and hence will need more organization. I dont know any trails around here so i would be useless for planning. Chris i need to put it on the calendar but i posted up for june 5th moab trip it will be a week long.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hey Randy

Try going to the traildamage.com site for trails that you want to run. They have a huge selection of Colorado (as well as Utah and California) trails with pictures and videos. You can tell by watching the rigs on the obstacles if you can get yours up, over and through them, so it is a very good reference.

Charles Well's books will fill in the blanks as he tells you what the trails can be run with; full size, stock, locked, lifted, etc.

BTW, I have a 5 gallon portable air tank I meant to give you the other day. It's not going anywhere and would be nice to hook the compressor up to for a reserve.

Brody previously posted:
    "Hey Randy

Try going to the traildamage.com site for trails that you want to run. They have a huge selection of Colorado (as well as Utah and California) trails with pictures and videos. You can tell by watching the rigs on the obstacles if you can get yours up, over and through them, so it is a very good reference.

Charles Well's books will fill in the blanks as he tells you what the trails can be run with; full size, stock, locked, lifted, etc.

BTW, I have a 5 gallon portable air tank I meant to give you the other day. It's not going anywhere and would be nice to hook the compressor up to for a reserve."

yeah thats right, ill pick it up sometime this week ill call before i come over

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "I
    IIRC Funrover suggested these: 'stockers without lockers' and 'ladies run' - how about it Aaron?
    "

I can help. I really hope the job situation changes though. I will say after the last ladies run I can probably go more difficult.... maybe somethig like mosquito pass... HMMMM??? or should that be the stockers run....

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I've been wanting to do Mosquito for a long time!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

If we can get a bunch of folks posting trail runs it would give everyone a lot of options. I think that Chris should post the Barbour Fork clean up runs as a starter as this is pretty important to all of us on Front Range. The only other critical run is the recovery run to rescue the stolen rig off of Medano Pass and that is going to take a little coordination. We are also confined to when Medano opens up on the recovery run and will have to stay on top of this....don't want someone thinking this is 'salvage'...

We can post everything else around these dates.

What say, Chris?

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I'm waiting to hear from Brant to set a date for Barbour Fork.

Thanks for the reminder

i might be albe to help on runs and might helpon the salvage cause i have a 16 foot trailer we could use depending on when it would be. im out for any long distance trails this year. starting april ill be working 7 days a week for at least the next 8 months or so. let me know what i could do .

i can offer my truck if i can help at all.

Plan trail runs? I better not do it. My trip ideas seem to generate about as much interest as a turd in a punch bowl. (see stockers without lockers, ccfk toys for tots and ice racing) Ellis anybody??? Only 164 days left to think about it....

i would have done the ice racing but i was oncall. i think i missed the stocker without lockers

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

SCRubicon previously posted:
    "Plan trail runs? I better not do it. My trip ideas seem to generate about as much interest as a turd in a punch bowl. (see stockers without lockers and ice racing) Ellis anybody??? Only 164 days left to think about it...."

I wanted to do the Ice racing.... I am mad I couldn't. I am TOTALLY UP FOR ELLIS!!

Hey sc, i looked at the photos of that run you did stocker without lockers and i will guarantee ill be in next time that looks way awesome! Every weekend i want to get out when i can so i am going to be available often. I love trails!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hey...don't think that way, Steve...I am having problems with gas $$ and, coupled with some gear breakage, leaves me doing about 1/5 of the runs I did last year...including the ice run stuff....missed the damn CORE run for the same reason...I absolutely hate this economy...

I am all up for the Ellis Jeep Trail as that is far enough away that I can at least hope to have some spare gas $$ by then.

Keep posting the runs, if you would...

I thought that the stocker without lockers had some folks going last year. What happened?

I know that last year before the site crash, LaDawn and I were posting a bunch of runs that no one showed up for. Recently things seem to be different..don't know why...and we have had a really good turn out even for some of the winter stuff. I have about 25 people not on the Front Range site that I send emails to telling them we are doing a run, where to meet, etc. Not one of them, besides Bren, has ever showed up for any run...nor have they signed up on the site. And these were all 'Oh yeah...I am all about 4 wheeling! Sure, you betcha, let me know when the next run is and I'll be there" and never show...

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Past performance isn't reason to give up on an idea Steve. We've got a lot more folks here now and a lot more stockers. Let's go for it!

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

I have an odd idea... How about a weekend fare for the Stockers w/o lockers?

Head up friday night and camp around Dillon area. Saturday take the back highway (I-70 to HWY 91) to Leadville. From there catch Mt. Bross and then onto mosquito pass which takes you back over to around Alma them back to camp right over Hoosier pass. Depending on what rigs show up go run Wheeler Lake same day. ( I have taken a couple stock rigs there). Then Sunday for those that want you will be close to a lot of trails (Holy Cross McCallister, etc)

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

I have a few trails for the WOMENS WEEKEND RUNS

Halfmoon - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=42

Mt Bross - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=116

Yoder Gultch -http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=238

Slide Lake - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=241

I have noticed from the last run that MUD and scenery are really important.LOL

the only thing holding me back right now is im running snow tires that probably wont stand up to the abuse of the trails, but in 3 weeks i will have them on the rig after that watch out!

the other thing is this, those of us who are working sometimes just cant make runs, for example me, one week out of every month i am oncall and i have to be able to respond within 30 minutes to a callout and for this to happen i need to be in cell coverage to get the page or else all hell breaks lose. So i would have to stay close to denver. It sux but i gotta do what i gotta do. the other 3 weekends out of the month im free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast