4x4
    1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

Default Re: AMC V8 Shenanigans

Was driving around with my brother in the truck when the battery voltage went down to 12.5 steady, we pulled off the highway and checked it out. All grounds and wires looked good, belt was turning the alternator fine. Got it home and pulled the alt the next day and the cap on the unused internal regulator connections was absolutely fried. Something had fried. Decided I'm done paying for these alternators so I bought a GM 3 wire. That took a while to figure out, and boy is it hard to find a diode in a store these days. I miss radio shack.

Either my brother or I stripped the bolt from the alt bracket in the new aluminum heads, so I had to drill it out and helicoil it. While the truck was out of action I decided to install a remote transmission fluid cooler with its own fan harness so we had a full saturday of truck thrashing. The reason for this change was the old aux trans cooler was taking up something like 50% of the front of the radiator, as well as running fluid through the integrated oil cooler in the rad, and with the converter slip I couldn't help but imagine that was dumping heat onto my already barely big enough radiator, especially on slow hill climbs. It does however add a point of failure and I don't have a monitor for transmission temps so I'll probably be adding that soon. The relay for its fan is triggered by accessory power. I used nylon-braided 6an lines for that.

On Wednesday I leave for FSJ Invasion in Ouray! Stress tested the truck yesterday going up to Yankee Hill and it did well in terms of coolant temps on the climbs, and got me there and back without issue. Hopefully the Ouray trip goes without a hitch.

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,040 Posts

Default Re: AMC V8 Shenanigans

TyTheJeepGuy previously posted: