4x4
    1985 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Bwelker85
    Real Name
    Ben Welker
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Moab May 9-12

Love it. Great advice and I知 good with that schedule.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

Great suggestions Mike, thanks for the input!

hiimmike previously posted:
    "Are you bringing the Mountaineer?"

That's all I've got!

Do you think I will struggle on some of these? Top of the World comes to mind since its a 6 on Trails Offroad and the worst I've done is a 5 which was Dollhouse on our Moab trip. I believe the Dollhouse rating is only for the ledge that was on the trail and everything else was more of a 3 or 4. Fins and Hells are both 4s which I shouldn't have an issue with, and Poison Spider is a 5 which I think I will be ok now that I've made some modifications and have much better approach and departure angles (I think I could do that ledge on dollhouse without assistance now). But if the whole trail is level 5 obstacles that might get a little rough.

If we go with Mike's plan I may split on Sunday and do a short easy trail if I'm heading back to CO that day, or just head back. I don't really want to do a full day of technical wheeling then have to drive 5 hours back. If we stay until Monday and the other trails don't give me too much trouble I may give it a go.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,044 Times in 2,022 Posts

ToTW has some steps (three or four???).

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    2022 JLUR
    User Name
    hiimmike
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Mountaineer01 previously posted:
    "Great suggestions Mike, thanks for the input!

That's all I've got!

Do you think I will struggle on some of these? Top of the World comes to mind since its a 6 on Trails Offroad and the worst I've done is a 5 which was Dollhouse on our Moab trip. I believe the Dollhouse rating is only for the ledge that was on the trail and everything else was more of a 3 or 4. Fins and Hells are both 4s which I shouldn't have an issue with, and Poison Spider is a 5 which I think I will be ok now that I've made some modifications and have much better approach and departure angles (I think I could do that ledge on dollhouse without assistance now). But if the whole trail is level 5 obstacles that might get a little rough.

If we go with Mike's plan I may split on Sunday and do a short easy trail if I'm heading back to CO that day, or just head back. I don't really want to do a full day of technical wheeling then have to drive 5 hours back. If we stay until Monday and the other trails don't give me too much trouble I may give it a go."

I thought I already posted this but it's nowhere to be found. Sorry if it is here and I'm posting again. I wouldn't recommend you take the Mountaineer on TotW or Poison Spider. I got stuck for 10 minutes on Poison Spider in my stock JLUR and I wouldn't want to take anything smaller than that. I can't speak specifically to TotW but I understand it's just as much if not more difficult than Poison Spider, because of the ledges. You could hit the trail and if it becomes too much headache for you, drop the rig, ride along, and pick it up on the way out. I thought my stock JLUR was perfectly fine and capable, until I started dragging everywhere on Poison Spider. Poison Spider was the reason behind my lift and 37s. When I went back, I didn't drag but once or twice. If you have full armor and are willing to use some speed with the potential to not drive it home, NIKE. I typically tend to over engineer and err on the side of caution so take that into consideration after you've read this.

You'll be okay on the mandatory for Fins or Hells. Fins is a fun trail. It's not too difficult and it has cool views and some fun climbs. I'll bring the drone if I come, get some cool ariel media.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

Thanks Mike, very good insights! Yea doing a little more research most people say that ToTW and Poison Spider are more difficult than the ratings. I think my plan will be to do Fins and Hells with everyone the first day and maybe break off and do something easier the second, or maybe ride along if someone has a spare seat. I do need to drive the truck home so I don't want to get too crazy.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I might have a spare seat - I offered the seat to family but it's unknown if they will take it.

I will likely only trail ride Saturday morning to attend Mass Saturday late afternoon - to be able to run Elephant Hill on Sunday.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    2022 JLUR
    User Name
    hiimmike
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Is the itinerary accurate on the RSVP page?

What are the planned accommodations for sleeping?

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

I thought we were doing Mike痴 proposed itinerary since the original was squeezing too many runs in?

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

hiimmike previously posted:
    "What are the planned accommodations for sleeping?"

I think we are looking for campsites on the fly.. should we have some potential spots picked? I sleep in the truck so that's one less tent to plan for.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I was hoping to spend the weekend packing / testing camping equipment - but now I'll be spending the weekend diagnosing a concerning noise.

It's a buzzing noise that is audible starting about 10mph.
    When it started, after the Bunce run a week or so ago, it was faint. It has increased in loudness enough to make people turn their heads.
    It seems to be tied with driveline / wheel speed.
    It comes and goes, it sometimes fades in or out and sometimes comes on (or disappears) full.

Riding the brakes - zero change in the noise.
    Rocking the steering wheel makes no change in the noise.
    Engine to neutral, vehicle rolling making the noise (30/40mph) - no change in noise with engine rpm.

It sounds like it's coming from the right side - riding next to a curb or vehicle or solid wall the sound reflects and is easier to hear.
    Yes, I replaced both front spindles, with bearings, a week ago. Bearings? U-Joint bearing?
    It sounded like the right front so I locked in the RF hub - zero change (so it's likely not the locking hub - but still to be tested).

My plan, as soon as I can, is to remove both front locking hubs and go for a test ride (around the block should be good enough).
    I might mount a camera to the underside to see if I can locate where the sound is loudest.
    A client, who knows how to drive a manual trans is visiting this morning - we might go for a ride me in the passenger seat sticking my head out - front, mid or rear loudest?

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

Any progress today Jim? Its never fun doing the same job twice...

12. The Following Member Says Thanks to Mountaineer01 For This Post:

Jim (1 Week Ago)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Mike stopped over Friday afternoon. He drove and I stuck my head out the right side - the noise was not loud (only it's low 10% loudness). We weren't able to tell front/mid/rear. I picked up an extra set of bearings for the right front wheel but after talking with my professional auto mechanic buddy he says bearings are a low growl. He does not think bearings from the noise I described.

Today, I did not pull/swap bearings but I did swap the lockout hub.

Busy day with clients and I did not drive the jeep. I will do that tomorrow (and hopefully start to pack it). I'm not 100% for the trip but I really hope to be a solid Yes for it.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I'll say I'm in!

I removed the passenger side lockout hub and swapped a spare. The noise did not appear on my reasonably long drive this afternoon.

So, we have three vehicles confirmed, correct - Ben / Isak / Jim?

I see there's a planned Thursday 6pm Meet up at Hell's Revenge's trailhead. Camping is TBD?

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I'm possibly going to extend my trip after the Moab days.

I have on my list to possibly visit the Hole In The Rock "road" - the section from Escalante to the HITR. 55.5 miles one way for the in-n-out.

Also on the possible list is Bryce and perhaps Grand Staircase and maybe a stop by Dinosaur N.M. on the way back to FoCo

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "I'll say I'm in!

I removed the passenger side lockout hub and swapped a spare. The noise did not appear on my reasonably long drive this afternoon.

So, we have three vehicles confirmed, correct - Ben / Isak / Jim?

I see there's a planned Thursday 6pm Meet up at Hell's Revenge's trailhead. Camping is TBD?"

That's great news Jim! I think we are looking to camp somewhere in Sand Flats, but I worry that all the sites will be taken by the time we arrive. Does anyone have any "hidden" campsites that might be a bit further out and available that we can have as plan b?

Really we will run into the same thing each night, I think we are just starting the busy season out there.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    2022 JLUR
    User Name
    hiimmike
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

There's camping up Onion Creek. There is some disbursed gravel flat area camping at the beginning of Onion Creek. There is one really nice site on the right side going up the trail, there is a large cotton wood tree and enough space for up to 5 rigs I think. I had breakfast every morning 15 steps down next to the creek, no sulfur smells. You're in a valley so you either get no wind because it's blocked or hurricane wind if it's blowing just right to funnel through, I had no wind over 3 days. This site is a bit of a haul, maybe 60-90 minutes from Moab.

If you go to the top of the trail, there is some more camping area, it's high so if it's windy you're guaranteed to eat some sand (same as Sand Flats). There is something even more hidden on Rose Garden Hill. It's a secluded group camping site that even has a picnic table and pit toilet. The toilet is old and I wouldn't eat off it but if you want a toilet, it's there. This is probably 2 hours from Moab but I can all but guarantee you will not see another person.

You can call Sand Flats and ask what their capacity is at, might be worth a shot.

Other than that, there are tons of group sites on the way to Chicken Corners. Another bit of a haul but nowhere near 60-120 minutes. These are all large flat areas covered in gravel. I destroyed my tent last time I was there because of the wind.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

Thanks for the input Mike! Ideally I would like to stay within 30 min of Moab but I think everyone has that idea .. Onion Creek area looks manageable, and it looks like Blue Hills Road has a lot of space as well which isn't too far out. This is just a big open flat area so nothing special. Bride Canyon has 5 spots that are supposed to be nice and scenic but those might fill up quick also, but its on the way to Blue Hills if we go that route and worth checking.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    1985 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Bwelker85
    Real Name
    Ben Welker
    Thanks Given

Hey Everyone,

Looking forward to seeing yall on Thursday. I知 planning to get to the Hells Revenge Trailhead (address is in original post) around 5pm on Thursday to try and setup a base camp nearby. I値l be trailering in my 4Runner so I知 going to try and find a campground near the hells revenge trailhead so I can easily pull in with the truck and trailer. I知 planning to bring my camp grill, anyone is welcome to use it. I値l bring some firewood as well.

20. The Following Member Says Thanks to Bwelker85 For This Post:

Jim (5 Days Ago)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Sand Flats - no group campsites available. They list 140 first come first served campsites. I'm going to cross my fingers on that. I called their phone number but hit an answering machine that said - check out the GrandCountyUtah.net web site. I was curious to their feel for how crowded the individual campsites are.

www.blm.gov/visit/sand-flats-recreation-area
    www.recreation.gov/camping/gateways/2160
    www.grandcountyutah.net/

Sun Outdoors / SRK / North Moab campsites lists 34 tent sites open (~$50/night with taxes).
    (google map)

Onion Creek via TrailsOffroad says no dispersed until after waypoint 14.
    www.trailsoffroad.com/US/utah/trails/579-onion-creek

I'm going to cross my fingers for availability at Sand Flats...

I'll bring some firewood too.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    1985 Toyota 4runner
    User Name
    Bwelker85
    Real Name
    Ben Welker
    Thanks Given

Yep I tried to get one of the reservable at Sand Flats awhile back and they were all booked. I figure we just use the Hells Revenge trailhead as a good meetup spot and hope we get lucky with a dispersed site at Sand Flats. If not, we値l check out the other spots you all mentioned. When you arrive Thursday just shoot me a text 336-601-5770. I値l be driving a newish lunar rock tundra towing my 4Runner, so I should be hard to miss. I知 leaving Denver at 10:30am Thursday and will try to get there as soon as I can to start looking for camping.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast