4x4
    2021 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR 6MT
    User Name
    Npepperoni
    Real Name
    Nathan
    Thanks Given

Default Bittersweet new truck celebration

Unfortunately my beloved 2014 tacoma ended up off its wheels in an ice storm (it was crazy slippery and crazy steep). Thankfully no one was hurt, but the truck was totaled (curtain air bags and seat belts are expensive to replace apparently).

But from the ashes comes a new (to me) truck, and an opportunity to learn stick! I have never had a manual before, so it's been fun learning. I was at least able to get it home from the dealership without stalling, so that's something! (I then stalled 3 times in a drive through because I confused 1st with 3rd )

I'm excited for the trails to start opening up so I can start getting some practice with a standard transmission offroad! Also, I have learned my lesson and will be keeping chains in my truck from the months of november to april without exception from here on out. That was terrifying and it could have been so much worse.

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2022 JLUR
    User Name
    hiimmike
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Bittersweet new truck celebration

I'm not laughing at your misfortune, I'm laughing at your humor. I'm glad you're in good spirits and I don't hear anything about someone being decapitated so I'm glad no major injuries for you! Now, let's get the ceremonial run in!

Ahhhh, the good ol days of having to use both my feet. Now, I'm too lazy.

There's always a 6th gen 4Runner this fall......

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to hiimmike For This Post:

Npepperoni (4 Weeks Ago)

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Npepperoni
    Real Name
    Nathan
    Thanks Given

hiimmike previously posted:
    "There's always a 6th gen 4Runner this fall......"

given it's structurally so similar to the new tacoma (same TNGA-F platform, same powertrain, same core interior, etc.) which does still have stick, I would surprised if they didn't bring it back for the new one.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

Wow glad everyone was safe! Do you mind me asking what happened? It doesn't look like much of a slope to flip a truck, but I'm sure you weren't expecting that to happen either so I would love to learn from your mistake

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Npepperoni
    Real Name
    Nathan
    Thanks Given

Mountaineer01 previously posted:
    "Wow glad everyone was safe! Do you mind me asking what happened? It doesn't look like much of a slope to flip a truck, but I'm sure you weren't expecting that to happen either so I would love to learn from your mistake "

It was a pretty specific set of things that caused us to end up on our side despite going at a snails pace. Basically, I hit some really slick ice on about a 13% grade downhill and lost my rear tires. I then picked up speed due to the hill while going forward at an angle (think crab walking) and my front tires hit the side of the road and stopped moving. My rear was still on the ice though, so it kept its momentum and swung around giving us some fun new angular momentum that was apparently enough when combined with the couple inches of drop off to plop us on our side once the rear tire went off the road, leaving us on our side and facing the way we came from.

Hyper detailed illustration:

The takeaways are:
    #1 DO NOT ENGINE BRAKE IN AN AUTOMATIC ON ICE. This is the #1 mistake I made. I was already going slow (I grew up in the midwest so I learned to respect ice and be careful), but I saw how steep the rest of the hill was (with a corner at the bottom as well) and was like "I'd really like to use my engine to help keep my speed down" thinking that would be less disruption to the tires, which is true to an extent but only if you're already in that gear. Because I downshifted, that sudden engine break broke my traction in a way that ABS couldn't compensate for (since there's no ABS in the transmission). In a manual you could rev match so that there is no disruption when downshifting, but I don't know if that is possible in an auto. I should have just used the brakes and let ABS do its job instead of trying to be fancy about how I kept my speed down.

#2 I should have had snow chains on. I had plenty of tread left on my tires and was in a 4x4 vehicle so i was in compliance with the colorado traction law, but compliance isnt everything. If I had them on me I would have stopped and put them on, and it may have saved me from the accident. Now law or no law, i'm having chains available in the truck at all times during the winter season.

#3 I should have just left it in 4x4 the whole time. There were patches of dry concrete between sections of pure ice, and everything in between (just based on how much sun a specific part of the road got). I was trying to have a bit of mechanical empathy and only engage 4x4 when it was real slippery. In reality, the drive train is plenty strong enough to handle a little bind in 4x4 (with the rear locker disengaged) on mixed surfaces. It will let out the tension next time it hits a slick spot. As long as you're not doing super sharp turns on bone dry concrete, you don't need to be going in and out of 4hi like I was. When I came over the hill and got into my predicament, I was in 2hi, not 4hi. It's possible that being in 4hi would have more evenly spread out the disruption of my mistake #1 (engine braking) but because I was in 2wd all of that deceleration force went into my rear tires, which is very likely why they lost traction

#4 I missed a turn and was on a much less maintained road. I should have been on CO 72 but I missed that turn and was onto side roads that hadn't been treated for ice yet. I should have found a safe space to turn around and get on the more maintained road.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

Thank you for the detailed explanation that makes a lot of sense. Its definitely a situation that anyone could find themselves in and I will take note! I had a similar situation where the road was patchy and I didn't want to use 4WD, and as I was climbing a hill I gave it a little too much gas and ended up doing a 180 while going 35 MPH. I was lucky to stay on the road and not have anyone in the other lane but lesson learned.. If there is snow, 4WD stays on! Its a lot cheaper to replace a differential than a whole truck or your life.

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to Mountaineer01 For This Post:

Npepperoni (4 Weeks Ago)