1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,037 Times in 2,019 Posts

Default 2023 Canyonlands Maze District

The Maze District - Overlanding Trip (Wed June 14 - Sun Jun 18)

Calendar RSVP link:
    www.FrontRange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2023-6-15&e=1169&c=1

From the e-mail thread - of interest content...

Jim Williamson wrote:

In my experience, the trail is 95% 2-Hi. I also did not air down as much as typical (35x12.5x15 tires - 32PSI street, 6 to 12PSI typical trail) - I think I went down to 20PSI for the Maze roads.

The trail is not like riding "in the Rockies" - it's not a rocky bouncefest (but not asphalt either). I was not bashed/worn out after each days drive (which is not overly long)

Switchbacks are 4-Lo (some sections are quite steep). There are some select "obstacle" points (my poor recall says less than five of them). I can think of two longer 2-lo steep sections (Poison Springs road up to Sunset Pass and roughly from the basin north of Sunset Pass up to the valley north of there). Not technical but perhaps just enough incline to want low range vs high range. 2-lo would be fine for them.

I'll likely be running 2-Hi for 95% of the trail (to save fuel) only to engage the front wheel locking hubs and 4-Lo for the switchbacks and maybe one or two short obstacles. The river crossing, all depending, could be 2-Hi.

I do plan to visit Hanksville on the exit - fuel concerns. I'll have 15gal stock + (2) 5gal Jerry cans and I might have one or two 2.5gal gas cans. The two, in the jeep, 2.5gallon plastic (garage lawn mower) gas cans were my only spare gas on the prior visit and they were of no issue regarding fumes (windows were always open though). The last trip was 207 miles (gas to gas) and I used 19 gallons (10.89MPG).

Via the Route listed in the first link on this post:
    https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums...815#post350815

It's 232 miles hanksville to hanksville. I realize many of you are looking to head south - adjust miles accordingly. That puts me at 23 gallons of fuel and I would have 25 with the two Jerry cans. Granted, the Hite to Hanksville trip will be on asphalt with 32PSI tires so better than 10MPH (15MPG realistic). For safety, I'll likely bring one of my 2.5gallon gas cans in the jeep. If space allows, I'll bring two - spare for someone else. If anyone thinks they could need some spare - let me know and I'll make space.

As for running the main tank low and letting the fuel pump suck fumes. I'd recommend not doing that. It's my thinking that in-tank fuel pumps don't like to suck air (and rev to a higher RPM). When the main tank gets low enough that sucking air is a concern, and more fuel is available - add it. We will have ample time at each campsite.

I carry a spare fuel pump and several feet of flexible fuel line. I have the unfortunate experience of running a fuel pump in a gas can, strapped near the winch, with temp fuel lines to the fuel rail and temp wiring to the pump to get me home. I hope none of us would need such a contraption.
    Bottom several pictures on this web page:
    www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2013-08-31--trail--kelly-flats/

If anyone wishes me to bring along the second 2.5 gallon can, let me know.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Re: 2023 Canyonlands Maze District

Have a safe trip and a lot of fun! Don't forget bug spray, the flood water mosquitos are brutal in Utah this spring.

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 937 Posts

Java previously posted:
    "Have a safe trip and a lot of fun! Don't forget bug spray, the flood water mosquitos are brutal in Utah this spring."

Yes have a safe fun time.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,037 Times in 2,019 Posts

The no-see-ums were bad. Screened tents had issues with them. Mosquito's were a distance second place - but there there sometimes - but screens work for them. I have no-see-ums / gnat bites on my head, ears, forearms. Deep Woods Off made no improvement. I'm at a hotel in Hanksville - Capitol Reef, Cathedral Valley, Bryce on the list for the next few days.

Dispersed camping northwest of Hanksville - thumbs up (except for bugs), The Neck campsite - fantastic views (I would re-visit), Dollhouse 1 & 2 - I would re-visit.

I just calc's MPG's

Overall miles 202 (hanksville gas to Hanksville gas)
    Asphalt miles 64 (with tire pressure at 32 PSI)
    Dirt/Trail miles 138 (with tire pressue at 18 PSI)
    Total fuel consumed 19.7 Gallons

Asphalt MPG was running approx 15 MPG (actual 16 to 17 running at 60 MPH)

Pulling out asphalt gallons trail MPG was about 9 MPG for this trip (running slower). Last trip was 11 MPG (running a bit quicker).

We deviated the route and dropped Maze Overlook reducing the miles / time.

5. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Java (June 20th, 2023),RockyMtRebel (June 19th, 2023),Tom (June 19th, 2023)