2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Which Handheld GMRS?

I think my radio is still on vacation, I can't find it so I'm going to replace it. If you were to buy a handheld GMRS today which one would you get? Thanks!!

Additionally I think I'm going to get a set of these https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-ACT120B...078708049&th=1

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    User Name
    Max
    Real Name
    Max
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Which Handheld GMRS?

I don't have an answer, but I like this guy's videos, so you could do some research there.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheNotaRubi...rch?query=gmrs

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to Max For This Post:

Java (April 5th, 2023)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Got this one, checks off all the boxes and given that this is the third one I've bought and will likely lose too, the price sure is right.

https://www.amazon.com/BAOFENG-Repea...11&sr=8-9&th=1

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

FINOCJ (April 6th, 2023)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

My club recently switched to GMRS. Midland and Rugged Radio are the top picks for HTs.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Im in the GMJC and they switched over last year too. They sent out a letter with recommendations for various Midlands. I just lost one, still have a Midland T10 but it's very limited. I like the Baofeng so far...

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Added this mic too, only $9.97. Have to figure out a dashboard mount for the radio now...

https://www.amazon.com/ABBREE-Rainpr...W24ZRUU3Q&th=1

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Java previously posted:
    "Added this mic too, only $9.97. Have to figure out a dashboard mount for the radio now..."

https://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Radios...s%2C166&sr=8-3

or

https://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Radios...s%2C166&sr=8-4

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to newracer For This Post:

Java (April 11th, 2023)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    2022 JLUR
    User Name
    hiimmike
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

If you're buying a Midland, I have a 15% off discount code they gave me to share out.

OFFROAD15

Last Online
    May 7th, 2023
    4x4
    Jeep JLUR
    User Name
    TrailbreakerJl
    Real Name
    Brando
    Thanks Given

I have a pair of these when I need a handheld or for a trail buddy and they are very good sound quality and usually
    go on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/GXT1000VP4-Ch.../dp/B001WMFYH4

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to TrailbreakerJl For This Post:

Java (April 28th, 2023)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 975 Posts

Thanks for the link to the baofeng GM-15pro....I added it to my kit - I got it in yellow for $0.40 upcharge with the idea that it would be the most visible and maybe help keep it from getting left behind somewhere. This is the first GMRS radio I got - price was right, hand feel is nice, The USB charging is awesome for working in my jeeps, wanted the extra power (online reviews testing transmit power show 3.1W) over FRS, I like the simple access to NOA weather station and FM radio, even the little thing like the flashlight is useful. I gave the FCC my money so I should be good to go with license.....

Although I will be using it mostly with others that will have either FRS or also simple GMRS, and probably use one of the standard CH 1-7 (as I understand it, CH 8-14 are power limited per FCC regulations), I do have a question.... trying to figure out how the generic FRS 'privacy codes' and relate to the GRMS DCS or CTCSS codes on the baofeng. The basic FRS radios I have can use a privacy code, but not sure if that corresponds to the DCS or CTCSS codes on the GRMS? I think the FRS privacy code is the same as the DCS? Also, on this baofeng, it looks like I would need to set-up a DIY channel to match the channel frequency (1-7) and then add a DCS code, or can I add a DCS code directly to one of the pre-programmed CH 1-7?

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

CTCSS is an analog tone outside of audible frequencies. DCS is a digital code, again outside of audible frequencies. Both serve the same function... to signal to other radios whether or not to "unsquelch" and play audio. Both schemes can be used by FRS or GMRS radios... its not really a question of which service, but whether the radio manufacturer has incorporated these features into the radio. When a radio manufacturer's manual talks about "privacy codes" they are really just assigning an arbitrary number to one of the CTCSS frequencies and/or DCS codes. Sometimes this is in order... sometimes CTCSS first, then DCS... sometimes they are all mixed up. Each manufacturer may assign them to different "code numbers", so one radio's code 3 may be another radio's code 38.... and in come cases one manufacturer may not have a particular CTCSS or DCS code available.

It's kinda frustrating that there is no industry standard here, but it is what it is. I suspect they just want you to get frustrated and buy all of your stuff from one manufacturer to avoid the headache.

I am guessing your baofeng menu tells you the actual code..... say 110.9Hz for CTCSS or D073N for DCS. For your FRS radio you can probably look up the manual based on the FCC ID code which should be marked somewhere on it (maybe under the battery) and hopefully that will list a conversion chart. If you want to post that number or a pic of the label we can likely help you with that. If that doesn't work then you can ether use trial and error, or find a radio that can scan for codes (some of my ham equipment can do this....maybe the baofeng can but I am not sure).

Be aware that your baofeng might be capable of being configured to listen to one CTCSS tone or DCS code but transmit another..... (or listen but not transmit or not listen but transmit)... this is typically not something a cheaper radio is not capable of, so some repeaters will use a "split code" scheme like this to prevent people from spamming them because you cannot just scan for the transmit code. I point this out because you may need to change two settings on your baofeng to get it working fully back and forth with your FRS radios.

Lastly.... channels 8-18 are reserved for low power just as you pointed out.... but they are also specified in the regulations to be used by handheld radios only. You should never see them on any mobile radios for this reason. Just an interesting fact I figured I would mention.

Here is just one attempt of many at a conversion chart: https://www.k0tfu.org/reference/frs-...mystified.html Might be able to find another one with a google search if your model/manufacturer isn't listed.

Good Luck. Let me know if I can help. And sorry if this is an overly generic response. Hoping it will be helpful for a broader audience too.

16. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

FINOCJ (May 6th, 2023)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Trevor? previously posted:
    "It's kinda frustrating that there is no industry standard here, but it is what it is"

ahh....I went digging back in our threads on this topic as I thought we had sort of come up with a consistent/standard FRS/GMRS channel with privacy tone/cone (actually I prefer your usage of squelch code). Not sure it was every really used....at one time we basically just used FRS/GMRS CH2, but then the discussion started here:
    https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums...t-shall-we-use

from post 46 of that thread, Jim suggested:
    FRS/GMRS: Channel 6, Code 14 (107.2Hz), alternative Channel 2, no privacy code
    Tom's chart in post #30 is handy - to use a privacy code that spans the radio types - code 4 and 14 do this. I'm listing FRS/GMRS as one entity

The chart link in post 30 by Tom is I think what I am looking for....(its also in the link Trevor posted above - which is good reading BTW - thanks)

the Cobra radio Tom has in the pic is the FRS radio that eventually made it to me, and is the one I am playing with to see if I can get the baofeng CTSS code to work with the Cobra privacy number.

FWIW - I like Bob's comment about staying away from privacy codes in general for the reasons he mentioned....but if they are going to be used, they need to be set up ahead of time for many of us - this would not be a trailhead adjustment. In that case, basically, it the standard pick a channel, no code, and switch channel if needed.

:

Last Online
    28 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 2,016 Posts

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "I thought we had sort of come up with a consistent/standard FRS/GMRS channel with privacy tone/cone (actually I prefer your usage of squelch code)."

I took what you likely found in the thread and posted it to the form each of us can see (use) when making a calendar entry. So, to see what's there - hit the button to create a calendar entry for a run (and then cancel the form).

The "suggested" channel was used on the Anniversary Run today!

19. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Trevor? (May 6th, 2023)

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

"FRS/GMRS: Channel 6, Code 14 (107.2Hz), alternative Channel 2, no privacy code
    Tom's chart in post #30 is handy - to use a privacy code that spans the radio types - code 4 and 14 do this. I'm listing FRS/GMRS as one entity"

That sounds about right. I have it programmed in a couple of handhelds and in my mobile, along with a handful of "family" channel-code combos. I managed to get someone configured on the trailhead while airing down on one of the cleanup runs last year. On some of the more common FRS radios its not too hard to bang through the codes quick until you can get the squelch to open. CTCSS 107.2Hz is usually pretty early in the code lists on most radios of that type. I also have one of the two receivers on my mobile set to scan through these two club GMRS channel configurations and the two 2-meter ham frequencies we've been using in the event that we don't quite have everyone on the same frequency.

But definitely try to pre-program all of your radios to work with eachother. Back to your previous message, it's very likely you can turn on CTCSS or DCS codes for one of the preprogrammed channels (1-7) if its anything like my baofeng HAM radios... but in the event you would ever want to listen to the open channel or use it in a pinch with someone who's struggling to figure out the codes its nice to have that option. You could pick a code and program it into a new set of channels.... FINO1 to FINO7....and then have both sets available which could be nice. I have something like that setup in my KG-805 handheld.

21. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

FINOCJ (May 6th, 2023)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Trevor? previously posted:
    "Be aware that your baofeng might be capable of being configured to listen to one CTCSS tone or DCS code but transmit another..... (or listen but not transmit or not listen but transmit)... this is typically not something a cheaper radio is not capable of, so some repeaters will use a "split code" scheme like this to prevent people from spamming them because you cannot just scan for the transmit code. I point this out because you may need to change two settings on your baofeng to get it working fully back and forth with your FRS radios."

Thanks guys - got it all working, even using privacy codes...the chart posted helps with privacy codes and further down the weblink is the DCS codes as well....And yes, as trevor discussed, the Baofeng has a cool (but slightly more complicated feature) that allows you to receive with one tone/code, and transmit on another. So in the case of a FR4x4 type run where people might be using a privacy code, I could set the radio to receive without any code (and thus hear all transmissions - both from our group with code and random groups that might be nearby on the same channel), but transmit with the code/tone, such that the rest of the FR group would hear it. Overly complicated in my opinion to make standard procedure, but its possible....

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Not really fond of hand held radios. You can get a lot more power from a mounted radio.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Spieg previously posted:
    "Not really fond of hand held radios. You can get a lot more power from a mounted radio."

but there are advantages for handhelds as well....I am out of my jeep a lot, sometimes spotting, sometimes directing traffic, sometimes just off on a little side hike....radio on my wrist or belt is very good - especially when spotting from behind.

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

"but there are advantages for handhelds as well....I am out of my jeep a lot, sometimes spotting, sometimes directing traffic, sometimes just off on a little side hike....radio on my wrist or belt is very good - especially when spotting from behind."

I'll take a 50 watt mounted unit over a 5 watt hand held any day... Or maybe one of each?

Last Online
    28 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 2,016 Posts

Until telepathic communications are the norm, I'll go for one of each.

Just like 4x4's - there is no perfect tool - only compromises / benefits.

(nice spring thunderstorm rolling through - good light show and sound effects [and no hail])