1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

Default kinetic rope reviews/recs

Looking at a kinetic recovery rope to add to my kit...there is a range of price and quality for these, and I am trying to strike the right balance of quality and price. Some of the top names like Yankum, Bubba and Factor 55 come in around $200, whereas there are middle price range ($100 or so) from companies like Rhino and VooDoo, and then more budget pricing like Grip and Ditch Pig etc. I recognize quality is often associated with price, but that is not always true, and sometimes name brand stuff goes for an unnecessary premium. In some cases, like the budget offering listed above, the application is targeted for agricultural and farm usage, which may suggest decent quality, but at a more reasonable price than is associated with the premium priced off-road/overlanding market. I also recognize when it comes to recovery gear, I'd rather err on the side of ensuring good quality even at unnecessary additional cost. So, as I continue my research in this topic, I am looking for specific reviews from users that have a rope - not looking for info on recovery/elastic 'straps', just ropes. Please give your rope brand, model and specs if possible as I am truly looking for user reviews as opposed to generic commentary.
    thanks!

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,024 Times in 2,012 Posts

Default Re: kinetic rope reviews/recs

I went with Advanced Synthetic Rigging's 7/8" x 30' rope and one soft shackle. 11/2019 $205.27 total

https://www.asroffroad.com/7-8-kinet...-9-000-lb-wll/ (then select 30' vs 20')

www.ASRoffroad.com

I'm 99% content with the performance of this kinetic rope. My one nit-pick is the string they use to wrap at the Y of the eye - at one end it has come un-tied and is starting to unravel. I need to give proper attention to re-tie it. If I were to purchase another rope I'd look at their "Ultimate" kinetic with the hard plastic dipped eye but that isn't enough to sway me from the "basic" rope.

I will say, the tugging to pull Shane off of the trail, it was preferred to have 60' of kinetic rope vs. only 30 (we started with 30 and quickly moved to 60 - it afforded more energy in the pull with less abrupt shock). Perhaps I should have purchased a 3/4" rope for a springier action with my Jeep's weight.

3. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (October 1st, 2022),JGRubicon (October 1st, 2022)

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Thanks Jim - that is exactly what I am looking for. ASR is closer to the higher end price range and typically gets solid reviews. The 7/8" vs 3/4" rope is definitely an interesting question when you have a 'small' jeep (our old cj and yj are kind of 'small' compared to newer 4dr built options). Too thick of a rope with a light vehicle won't provide much stretch and defeats some of the kinetic recovery aspect. If the rope was only used with my very small old cj, I could easily get away with a 3/4 (the old cj weighs about the same as large 4 seat SxS it seems - its possible I could even use a 5/8 in the ASR), but then if I am on a trip with other, larger, more standard 4x4/SUVs, the bigger size is more useful all around. I do have a tendency to bring what is needed for my jeep, and would assume others bring what is needed for their vehicle. Thanks for the length discussion - many of the ropes have a 20' option at a nice price, and the small size is tempting when storage space is limited in a small jeep, but just don't see how 20' is functional, unless each vehicle had 20' and could be combined to make 40' (and then I think you'd want to two ropes to match in elasticity etc).

After looking at ASR's website specifics - my little cj would definitely be okay for the 3/4", and going with a smaller diameter rope (in this case it is appropriate) is another way to save a bit of space for storage and price is better. But I will also need one for the F150 - so while there is less space issue, its going to cost quite a bit more for the bigger truck. thanks!

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

And if you buy two ropes (one for each vehicle rating) - you can readily "grab the other" when heading out on a trip in one vehicle. I don't think I'd worry too much about ropes of different ratings (so long as the rating is one off and not two or three sizes/ratings different).

I'd be hard pressed to consider a 20' rope. A 30' can be doubled back for a shorter rope (but it'll have a sharper snap).

I'll be curious what you find!

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    '06 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

If not looking to pay top price I would recommend ASR too.

I went with one of the top price ones, but I have heard nothing but great things about ASR.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "My one nit-pick is the string they use to wrap at the Y of the eye - at one end it has come un-tied and is starting to unravel. I need to give proper attention to re-tie it."

I wonder if once you re-tie it if you could just dip the loops in something to lock it all in. If i had to guess their dip is probably some kind of 1 or 2 part urethane. If you could get a quart-sized can of bedliner or POR-15 maybe.

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Jim (October 2nd, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

The trivial item. I just need to give a nice look at the good side to tie the loose side.

I wonder if the wrapped string would be called a "choke" - to give a static / starting constriction to keep the inserted inner rope from slipping out before the outer rope constricts to hold the inner.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

I don't know how the elastic inner rope really effects it, but that looks a lot like whipping twine used to finish lines on a sailboat. It's usually a waxed polyester. A needle with a large eye can be used to pass it through the bulk of the line for a more secure hold, but there are some methods to do it without a needle. At least for sailing, one would typically whip a braided eyesplice like this just to keep the splice from coming undone over time when the line is slack. There are also some "liquid whipping" products on the market as well that you can dip or brush on.

I've got a spool of it kicking around somewhere with my old sailing stuff.

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Jim (October 3rd, 2022)

Last Online
    13 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

A little more expensive but they are made in UT.

https://yankum.com/collections/kinet...UaAjG6EALw_wcB

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Anybody know anything about RES-Q ropes? I can 't get much info on who makes them etc....Might be worth checking out as a likely limited use budget rope to put in the F150 - around here that means mostly getting pulled or pulling someone else out of a snowbank/ditch in the winter time. Not really a dedicated, high use off road recovery rope like I might want for the cj. Plus, for the CJ, I'd like to save a little size and go with a 3/4" 30'.
    https://www.quadratec.com/p/resq/rec...t=lower-funnel

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I went searching for a web site - nothing aside from third party listings (ala Quadratec). It certainly is a low cost (bonus)! Quality is a question I'd like more info on.

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2022 JLUR
    User Name
    hiimmike
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

This is old but I also bought the 30’ 7/8” ASR. I used it on several pulls and everyone said it felt really smooth.

https://www.asroffroad.com/7-8-ultim...-9-000-lb-wll/