4x4
    '95 Ford Explorer, '91 Suzuki Jimny
    User Name
    Mad Maxx
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

Default Leadville/Lake County OHV use - town hall meeting

Hey folks, I figured y'all might like to hear about the happenings up here regarding off-road use from a local's perspective.

Last night, there was a town hall meeting discussing OHV use in the area. There were no decisions to be made last night, this was a preliminary discussion.

Currently, non-highway-registered vehicles are prohibited from using roads per state law, however 10 years ago Leadville passed an ordinance allowing them on county roads here to reach "point A to point B", essentially. The townspeople now seem to think that may be a bit too vague.

They defined OHVs as including dirt bikes, UTVs, ATVs, and off-road capable trucks and SUVs, though the latter seems less effected by the ordinance in question, though the ordinance itself wasn't solely what was discussed.

The meeting began by defining the county roads, land use areas, and defining OHVs (as mentioned above) before moving on to a presentation by someone who grades and grooms the county roads. He showed slides with pictures - one showed a snow-groomed road and he talked about how snowmobilers rode over a groomed raised line of snow on the side marking where the road is, posing a danger to groomers. He also showed the side of a road where asphalt had eroded claiming that it was people going on and off of the road to and from the trails. Next he showed a picture of a parking lot with skid marks where it appears someone did burnouts - he admitted this wasn't really relevant, it's probable an on-road vehicle did it. What appeared to be the worst offense he showed was a trail that had some washout/very slight rutting in the middle, which someone later pointed out appeared to be runoff from rainwater.

Afterwards, citizens were given a few minutes each to speak their thoughts.

The biggest concern by most was noise.

This seemed to spiral into hardly relevant opposition to OHVs in general, with people stating things like they're bad as they produce air pollution, that they lack the safety equipment and features of passenger vehicles, their tires are louder, that they contribute to overcrowding of trails, and that the people who drive them are inconsiderate. As an example of overcrowding, someone cited one time that they heard that there was 15 vehicles in a group on Tincup Pass - she immediately admitted that was beyond our area anyway.

The expand upon the safety concern, something that was cited a few times was that people, especially kids, were driving/riding OHVs without helmets and protective gear. I fail to see how a lack of personal responsibility and bad parenting is the city/county's problem, however - especially since UTVs do have seatbelts and roll cages anyway.

A recurring stated fear was that as Leadville is less regulated with OHVs as opposed to other mountain towns, that people would come here instead and overcrowd and overrun us with their issues caused by OHVs, and that the town needs to get ahead of this and regulate them.

Another concern was enforcement. Here the police will not pursue an OHV driver for liability concerns. Also until recently the city had only "1 and a half" police officers, though they said they'd just hired more so this would improve.

There was a few who spoke up, myself included, attempting to defend OHV use and expressing doubts that the concerns were valid and the possible consequences of further regulation.

2. The Following 7 Members Say Thanks to Mad Maxx For This Post:

JandDGreens (August 16th, 2022),Java (August 27th, 2022),Jim (August 16th, 2022),Schmitty (August 16th, 2022),snoopy (August 28th, 2022),Tom (August 16th, 2022),xaza (August 26th, 2022)

Last Online
    12 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,019 Times in 2,011 Posts

Default Re: Leadville/Lake County OHV use - town hall meeting

Thanks for the info.

4. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Tom (August 16th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    2021 JLU Willys
    User Name
    JLWILLYS21
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

Good stuff to know. The OHV population is growing and definitely a concern for the state. Many OHV drivers (not all) don't know the off-road rules, ignore which roads they can or cannot be on, and I frequently see them off the trail all together. As a Colorado native and off roader, I long for more regulation and enforcement of these vehicles, especially when there are large groups of them making lots of noise and causing destruction of the wilderness.

6. The Following Member Says Thanks to JLWILLYS21 For This Post:

Tom (August 26th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 17th, 2023
    4x4
    '95 Ford Explorer, '91 Suzuki Jimny
    User Name
    Mad Maxx
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

JLWILLYS21 previously posted:
    "Good stuff to know. The OHV population is growing and definitely a concern for the state. Many OHV drivers (not all) don't know the off-road rules, ignore which roads they can or cannot be on, and I frequently see them off the trail all together. As a Colorado native and off roader, I long for more regulation and enforcement of these vehicles, especially when there are large groups of them making lots of noise and causing destruction of the wilderness."

Are you including us? By their definition, OHVs include 4x4 SUVs.

You're echoing a lot of their sentiments, but in my experience, it seems grossly exaggerated.

As for noise - Yes I hear UTVs, dirt bikes and ATVs zoom by my house here sometimes (which is what some townspeople complained about) but I don't understand how that's bothersome. That's the sound of people having fun. Plus there's many other noises I hear such as when there's any event downtown or at the sports field, plus the school bus depot where I hear their reversing noises all morning and afternoon as well as their horns every time I bus pulls out. To remedy this I have a white noise machine I turn on to drown out the noise. Boom, problem solved without hindering someone's hobby.

As for destruction of wilderness - I'm just not seeing it around here. As described in the post, the one guy who tried to demonstrate this ultimately failed to do so, IMO. Folks going off-trail could be an issue, I haven't specifically seen it up here, but what regulation and enforcement would you recommend?

I could imagine something like a hunting license - when I got mine in GA, we had to study and take a class on what to do and what not to do. Maybe some sort of license that requires users know what not to do?