1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 975 Posts

Default A little Montana adventure...

First little foray into the mountains with the cj in Montana...did a cw loop around the Bridger mts heading north up the west side, then east over Flathead Pass (the only little section of sort of 4wd trail), a few mile hike north along horse mountain, and then south along the east side of the Bridgers with a side trip up to Fairy lake. Returned around the southern end on 2-lane blacktop back home. Nice to get out, but I've got some sort of groaning bearing developing - first thought I heard it a week or so ago running around town, and it definitely is getting worse. Not sure of the details, but something maybe in the rear driveline, ujoint, pinon bearing, axle bearing? Argghhhh....

Saw this MB just a bit north of town near the N Cottonwood TH

Making the turn east heading up Flathead Pass Rd:

It mostly just squeezes down to single lane, and gets steep enough than my 3:1 1st decided to drop it into low range to just take a lazy climb up:

Made the top of the pass - Looking back at the route up through the notch we climbed:

Jen doing a bit of hiking

Nice view of the east side of the north end of the Bridger Ridge:

Heading east away from the Bridgers - Crazy Mts out in front:

Back along the Bridgers - Fairy Lake with Hardscrabble Peak (right) and Pomp peak (left) in the background - I think - still leaning my Bridger mts:

Jen said the water was nice - I took her word for it:

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

cnstaco (October 2nd, 2022)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,030 Times in 2,015 Posts

Default Re: A little Montana adventure...

Wonderful stuff!

Neat old jeep. That looks like a relaxing "trip around the new block".

Last Online
    February 20th, 2024
    4x4
    1978 CJ7, 1971 CJ5
    User Name
    snoopy
    Real Name
    Kenny
    Thanks Given

Nice Loop! Great pics.

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "Saw this MB just a bit north of town near the N Cottonwood TH"

And so I don't get in trouble with the detail oriented crowd or give false info....it is an m38, not an MB...m38 was the second generation version of military jeeps after the famous MB/GPW of WWII era. The civilian jeep (CJ) equivalent would be the cj2 and cj3a.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I look at the long, THIN exhaust pipe and think of the restriction it must make - but then the motor's probably a small four-banger. Any idea (I know you know) of the displacement for the motor?

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "I look at the long, THIN exhaust pipe and think of the restriction it must make - but then the motor's probably a small four-banger. Any idea (I know you know) of the displacement for the motor?"

Quite the deep water fording kit on it - both the intake snorkel and tall exhaust....many (if not all) military jeeps came with 24V systems and full-waterproofing. I know quite a bit about the 1955 and later CJs, but the early flat fenders I am a bit less knowledgeable about, and the military stuff is kind of specialty in its own right - at least in terms of stuff like all the differences of sub models. In any case, all the low hood hood flat fenders, whether military or CJ, would have originally had the L134 'go devil' engine. So 134 cubic inch displacement on a long stroke engine - about 60 hp (gross rating - that would be even less using todays 'brake' rating). The L stands for L-head - basically a flathead engine design. As anemic as it is by todays standards, the go devil was a big reason Willys got the government contract for jeeps....The L134 was later upgraded to the F134 'hurricane' - same block but intake valves were moved over top and that bumped the hp to 70 or so - which is still small, but was a big % increase over the L134. It came about in the early 1950s. Due to its taller height with intake valves on top of block, it doesn't fit under the low hood flat fender jeep - thus the 'ugly duckling' cj3b was temporarily created from the cj3a. Its the one with the tall hood. The round fender jeeps starting with the cj5 in 1955 (and military equivalent m38a1 a few years earlier) were specifically designed to fit the F134. That small displacement 134 block was the base engine in cjs through 1971 when AMC took over. Those little 134 engines were also the standard engine in bigger things like my willys wagon or pick-ups and fc150 and so on. I know it was a different time, and I am not big on huge horsepower etc, but those little 134 engines are just barely suitable for a small cj - can't imagine them on bigger heavier things carrying payload....gearing and reasonable low end torque will get it moving, but it wouldn't go fast. In those days, just having mechanized power to move a heavy load reasonably short distances around farm/ranch, or a few miles along dirt and old country roads into town from neighboring farm communities was all that was needed - a different time indeed.

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Jim (July 7th, 2022)

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Did a bit of exploring today...started with a nice hike to Lava Lake:

The did a little back road exploring up the spanish creek drainage - nothing more than gravel but scenic none-the-less. The spanish peak - I usually see these from the other side in big sky:

all the the little brown spots in the above photo are bison - there is a big herd on Ted Turners ranch:

this old guy was pretty big - but seemed to walking gingerly.

Looking southwest at Blaze mountain - ran into a couple young guys starting their hike to ski the snowfield - its on my bucket list, but I'd shoot for late June.

10. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

cnstaco (October 2nd, 2022),JGRubicon (August 15th, 2022),Mad Maxx (August 16th, 2022),snoopy (August 16th, 2022)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Beautiful pictures. The glass water - oooh to be water skiing.

12. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (August 15th, 2022)

Last Online
    4 Days Ago
    4x4
    2016 Rubicon, Belly Armor, MC 2.5 GC Lift
    User Name
    JGRubicon
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

Man, I need to get up to Montana. Molly's cousin is up there, so it wouldn't be a hard sell.

14. The Following Member Says Thanks to JGRubicon For This Post:

FINOCJ (August 16th, 2022)

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Beautiful pictures. The glass water - oooh to be water skiing."

Lee Metcalf wilderness - no motors or mechanized travel allowed. As a whitewater kayaker, I tend not to take SUPs very seriously...but this is the kind of spot where I would think they'd be great. Of course, you have to carry it in 3 miles and up 1600 vertical feet, but quite a few backpackable options out there. I would guess on a weekend afternoon there would actually be some on the water - we were there weekday and pretty early morning.

16. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Jim (August 16th, 2022)

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Jen asked if I could go to the market to get some groceries....so I did, but I took a wrong turn and 120 miles and 5 hours later I made it to the market. She decided to take some work up at the resort for the day, so I figured I could take the 'long' way. Probably should have done this a couple days ago before the smoke set in....AND this was the first real trip in the 58! Sorry if its a bit photo heavy, but it was very rewarding to get the 58 out.
    So headed east towards Paradise Valley and Livingston - mostly easy cruising dirt road, and a section of washboard that really defined 'shakedown run'.

These should be a nice view looking east towards the Absaroka mts - but hard to see them in the smoke:

Looking back west towards the northern end of the Gallatin range and Bozeman:

Saw this FF down in Paradise Valley:

Stopped to take a look at the Yellowstone River in Paradise Valley - this is a section that flooded pretty hard this spring, although much of the worst flooding on the river was upstream a ways near Gardiner:

18. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Java (September 5th, 2022),snoopy (September 5th, 2022)

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

After doing the first section, the plan was then to head north to Livingston and take some easy 2-lane blacktop back to Bridger canyon and into Bozeman....but I saw a sign for some USFS public land access in the southern end of the Bangtail range. I figured I'd take a short side trip up to the trailhead and then return and head on my way....but as I got up to the TH, I realized that there was a full-size trail that went all the way through....so I kept going. Heading up Jackson Creek area:

Nice spot for a break:

heading down and out into the valley:

The whole day the jeep ran awesome! I locked in the hubs at the Jackson Creek TH, but didn't put it into 4wd except for a little section that was very rutted out. I never went into low range on the D18, as the trails were all very easy, and the worn out soft springs allow for a smooth ride compared to the CJ. Additionally, the 3.58 1st gear turning short 30" tires with 4.27 axle gears and a sbcv8 that pulls plenty hard at 500-600 rpm, you can just walk around in high range. Only 1-time, in the rutted section, did I even drop down into the 6.55 low gear on the transmission. The q-jet ran fine, nothing overheated (except maybe me at times with temps in the upper 90s). Will be excited to find a bit more challenging trail and test out the q-jet at steeper angles and put the D18 into low.

I did have one little hiccup....after hitting blacktop back near Livingston at the end of the day, I started cruising home on I-90 heading up over Bozeman pass, and got some sputtering, misfire. Although based on mileage I should have had plenty of gas, I don't have a functioning gauge, so I decided to turn around and head downhill to Livingston to fill up. It wasn't an empty tank, as after fill-up, I went to start....and NOTHING. I was a bit limited with tools (the complete trail kit is in the CJ), and after a failed attempt to jump start which yielded NOTHING, I decided it probably wasn't the battery (also sparked the jumper cables)....Shorting the starter provided plenty of crank, but no spark ignitions. It took a little bit chasing my hot wire lead, but found 2 very loose connections ('shakedown run') and got it fired back up - I didn't want to use blue loc-tite on electrical nut hold downs, but probably needed something - flanged nylocks will be going on next. Cruised home nicely after that....via the T&C market and just in time to fire up the grill for some steaks!

20. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Java (September 5th, 2022)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    ".but I saw a sign for some USFS public land access"

And the route changed!

You must feel confident to take the jeep out for a solo rural ride - good on ya and the work you put into it.

22. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 5th, 2022)

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Not so much Montana as Idaho...headed west on I90 to the panhandle of idaho and the Silver Valley area around the mining towns of Wallace and Kellogg, ID to wheel with some other early cj jeepers.
    First day we headed north of I90 checking out scenery and old mines, as well as the 9mile active reclamation area. A lot of the day was old logging/mining access roads - fairly easy driving.
    Heading out of town (Wallace, ID) - kind of the general scenery and topography:

Heading up from Silverton, ID toward Dago mt:

Looking down at one of our jeepers from Nuckels Peak:

Heading towards Silver Tip Mine:

Silver Tip Mine headworkings:

In and around Silver Tip Mine:

Heading up Sunset Peak:

A mine working that I didn't catch the name of near the top of 9mile drainage:

The jeeps at the end of day 1:

from left to right: my 70cj5, a blue 49? cj3a that essentially a body on a very unique and custom built by hand chassis, suspension and uniquely selected drive train parts, red 71 cj5 with a buick 350 v8 (the 'big brother' of my v6), and a 76 cj5 with a sort of classic 80s era build and sbc v8 350.

24. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

cnstaco (October 2nd, 2022),Mad Maxx (September 19th, 2022)

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Day 2 included a plan to head south of I-90 from Pinehurst, ID and with a more challenging trail objective - Denver Creek - as part of the itinerary. Unfortunately, we immediately hit a seasonal winter gate closure and had to make a new plan. Headed south and up to a very scenic ridge and then descended down and to the east circling around Silver Mt (ski area) before ending up on Big Creek road and heading north back to I90 at Osburn, ID.

Heading up - smooth but steep tight switchbacks:

Trails are tight in this area - mostly due to trees etc....and its also quite possible we got a bit lost and ended up on an ATV 50" wide trail for a bit...I didn't see a trail marker or sign or number for the entire trip. You are on your own with a map etc - and lots of 'freelance' trails going a short distance to nowhere just beyond what you can see. Route finding is kind of difficult even for the 2 guys that frequent the area:

Getting into the open:

The top:

View from the top - looking northeast toward Silver Mt gondola house:

The descent:

And a glamour shot of the cj - no idea where this was taken:

Hope to go back - probably next summer - and explore some of the harder, more technical trails. Two that were discussed were the Mullan ridge loop and Denver Creek - so probably start there.

26. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

cnstaco (October 2nd, 2022),Mad Maxx (September 19th, 2022),snoopy (September 19th, 2022)

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Met up with some classic jeep connections today - a couple live here local to me and the 4th person is from easter WA who owns some early jeeps and I've wheeled with before in Colo and Idaho. He was on a bit of a week long road trip loop around western MT, so was cruising in comfort in his TJ as opposed to a classic jeep. Of interesting note, he owned the little blue CJ for a number years before recently selling it to the current owner - and although he missed having a CJ for the days adventure, traveling in comfort for the week of primarily paved backroads was the primary goal, and he still has three old CJs (two in running and driving condition) in addition to his TJ at home. Similar to the first posts I made in this thread last year, we ran a CW loop around the Bridger range starting on the west side, heading north and then east over the main 4wd section of Flathead pass - and its pretty mellow, although required me to lock in the hubs for 4wd at one point in the old wagon - then south along the east side the Bridgers with a foray up to Fairy lake. Finishing with black top back around the southern end and into town.....afterwards we enjoyed a few beers, pizza and scrounging around one the guys places where his family homesteaded 140+ years ago and has quite a collection of old willys parts and carcasses etc. He's already provided a source of some hard to find parts for my wagon, and may have brought home some additional stuff yesterday.....

28. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

snoopy (September 15th, 2023),Tom (September 15th, 2023)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Grand scenery! Your wagon looks nice in the shots.

30. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 15th, 2023)

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Took the 58 to Stanley, ID to meet up with some Old Willys Forum members as part of a planning/scouting trip for next springs Run For the Hills gathering. Ran two easy trails (focus for RFTH is not on hard wheeling - lucky if it requires 4lo), but scenery was nice, and some cool history stops. I camped the 3 nights at a USFS campground along the Salmon river - our first true cold weather came in of course with nice daytime temps around 60F, and cool temps below freezing at night. But weather was nice overall:
    Day 1 - trip up Basin Butte to a lookout tower a bit NW of Stanley. This was actually the 'harder' trail', and although very easy, it was fun driving. After seeing the lookout, we continue down into Basin Creek drainage to a lake, before returning out the way we came in.
    Heading up to the lookout tower:

Heading down into Basin Creek from the lookout - its had some recent fire:

Lake at the endpoint:

On the return, we had some nice views to the south towards Stanley and the sawtooth range:

Day 2 started off cold and clear - beautiful sunrise on the the Sawtooth range:

The day was more of history stops than wheeling focus - 2wd dirt road and not trail, but some cool stuff to see. Headed NE out of Stanley along the Salmon river and then headed up the Yankee Fork towards the old mining town of Custer City:

The Yankee Fork dredge:

After a visit to see the old mining town of Custer, we drove up past the current mining operation to what I think is called Loon Creek Pass....this road actually loops around to the NW and can connect in to where we were the day before, bit its like 60 miles of dusty dirt road....maybe another day.

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

After heading to Stanley ID last weekend, we went south this weekend back into Idaho, near Ashton on the west side of the Tetons for the Targhee Vintage Jeep rally. I think the turnout was quite a bit bigger than expected - something like 22 vehicles. Too many vehicles to really get to know everyone and get good shots of all the different rigs. A lot of FFs and then an interesting mix of other things from Willys wagons, trucks, FCs, C101s, CJs of various vintage and even a land rover. Having the farm fields of Idaho and the Tetons in the background of a fall color run is always nice. I plucked quite a few of these photos from Ben Parker who was driving the authentic willys PU with the super-hurricane 6.

Easy dirt road cruise with lots of scenery:

Some C101s - the orange one is running on modified TJ frame and running gear

I thought this LR was pretty cool

The tetons