4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Default Let’s update this website a little

There’s a few things that I notice that I think should be updated. For one, the random pictures that run along the top of the page have so many old and non-4x4 pictures that I find really annoying. I think the “album” needs to be cleaned out of all old pictures and should really only show 4x4 related pictures (not dogs or metal fabrication pieces and other random pix). I also think the pictures should be of newer trips and from active members only. That would help make this feel more 4x4 and active member like. Can’t be that hard to do either, I’d volunteer to help even though I’m minimally tech savvy 🤣

Happy to hop on a call or email, Jim, if that would be better. Thought I’d post up to see if anyone else (active members only in my opinion) had any ideas of how we could “update” this website. I’m not talking about the formatting even, just some of the content that is so old and out dated it doesn’t appeal to new members (maybe some of the forum subjects, definitely the pictures, etc).

Thoughts???

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

TDash (June 24th, 2022)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

Default Re: Let’s update this website a little

Jim was looking for some help a year or two ago from a few of us. I say pm him.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Shoot, just noticed I should have posted this under Forum News…. Sorry about that

Jim and I talk offline on occasion so I can certainly discuss directly with him but I posted this to see if anyone else agrees and if any other ideas for improvement are suggested. I generally like the format of this website, it works well with my iPhone or on my desktop. The picture upload process is funky but I find it user friendly for the most part. The picture at the top is the one thing that bugs me the most and that I feel could vastly improve the new visitors experience if it was updated.

Last Online
    35 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

I can get an account configured to review / manage gallery photos (delete non-4x4 photos). Interested?

To get fresh content, members would need to post photos to an album in the gallery. It's easy - the link to get started is available right next to the photos.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

I’m interested!! I’ve added my photos a few times but the main issue is all of the old and non-4x4 related photos. I’d be happy to go thru all of the albums and delete old and non applicable photos 😁

Last Online
    35 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Let me work at creating a mod account...

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

RockyMtRebel previously posted:
    "only show 4x4 related pictures (not dogs or metal fabrication pieces and other random pix)."

Completely agree, would love to see all the memes disappear too, especially the political ones. One of my new years resolutions was to stop talking about God, Guns and 'merica online and it's been great, highly recommend it. Even though it was my idea to create it (mostly to keep it off the public page) I'd love to see the firearms subforum go away.

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Jim (June 25th, 2022)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "Completely agree, would love to see all the memes disappear too, especially the political ones. One of my new years resolutions was to stop talking about God, Guns and 'merica online and it's been great, highly recommend it. Even though it was my idea to create it (mostly to keep it off the public page) I'd love to see the firearms subforum go away."

I agree with Paul about the firearms subforum. While I basically have no issue with the proper use of firearms, I just do not feel that they belong in an off roading forum. That said if it went away it would need to be documented that such posts are not allowed, then someone would have to monitor and delete such posts.

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to Tom For This Post:

Jim (June 25th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

I'm cool with firearms discussions as long as they follow the wisdom of the founder, ie: no politics, which has not been the case. For me that means if you just got a reverse Kimber 1911 like John Wicks I totally want to see it, but if your post involves the second amendment there are other forums for that. I don't see any need for enforcement, we're all adults here. It's not a rule anyway, the chat parameters are a request with a "please" on top. Without politics guns could just be part of chat.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "I'm cool with firearms discussions as long as they follow the wisdom of the founder, ie: no politics, which has not been the case. For me that means if you just got a reverse Kimber 1911 like John Wicks I totally want to see it, but if your post involves the second amendment there are other forums for that. I don't see any need for enforcement, we're all adults here. It's not a rule anyway, the chat parameters are a request with a "please" on top. Without politics guns could just be part of chat."

Very valid points Paul. I guess I really got turned off to guns here because of that former member who had a gun pointed directly into the camera with him holding it as his icon. That before and why only member rigs are now allowed.

Guess I am just showing my age.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

This forum was more than just a wheeling forum at one time. It used to be like an extended family. Seems kinda wrong to go through and delete photos from peoples albums because you disagree with the content and does not fall within your expectations. A bit different if it violates forum policy but if it doesn't leave people alone. Why does everyone feel like they should control other people? I would rather see it removed from the top completely than to be censored.

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

xaza previously posted:
    "This forum was more than just a wheeling forum at one time. It used to be like an extended family. Seems kinda wrong to go through and delete photos from peoples albums because you disagree with the content and does not fall within your expectations. A bit different if it violates forum policy but if it doesn't leave people alone. Why does everyone feel like they should control other people? I would rather see it removed from the top completely than to be censored."

I do not believe this discussion at all about censoring anyone. First off there are photos still here from people that accounts were deleted 10 years ago. IMO those should to be deleted. I for one would love to see what people who are current members are doing. The discussion about this seemed to me to draw in new members and promote more wheeling in the group.

I have been here over 10 years. It has never felt like family to me. I even left for about 8 months several years because of just the opposite.

That said there are a number I feel a good friendship with.

16. The Following Member Says Thanks to Tom For This Post:

RockyMtRebel (June 25th, 2022)

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

"random pictures that run along the top of the page have so many old and non-4x4 pictures that I find really annoying."

Tom, this does not suggest just cleaning out old photos from former members. This is saying if it is not 4x4 related it would be censored. What is considered old? My albums have photos that are 15-20 years old, should they be deleted because they are old? I agree with cleaning out old stuff from members who are not here and have been gone an extended period of time. People here used to get together outside of wheeling and hang out, BBQ help each other with rigs and other things. It still happens somewhat but just not like it used to. Perhaps it is my own fault as many of my friends on here have moved on and I just have not bonded with the new blood. That is what I like about the campfire thread it is a place to hear things other than wheeling to get to know each other a bit better.

Cesare Pavese

18. The Following Member Says Thanks to xaza For This Post:

Tom (June 25th, 2022)

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

I suggested updating the pictures and removing random pictures of non-4x4 stuff on the header. That doesn’t necessarily mean deleting them, the photos could still be archived for folks to look thru or whatever. Not sure where censorship came from, it’s not censoring anything or anyone. Also not sure how my suggestion means everyone want to control other people, like the current Supreme Court Clowns. I just want to suggest some ideas to update and make this more 4x4 related and visually appealing to folks who actually go off-road together or for new members who just get here so they can see images of people that are actively on the forum.
    In other words I’m just trying to suggest things to make this website/group better, even if todays active group is much smaller and less active than the original. And I posted here for everyone’s input also, not just trying to change things in a sneaky way.
    At the end of the day I can’t make any changes anyway, I’m just throwing some ideas out there 😎

20. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

Jim (June 25th, 2022),TDash (June 26th, 2022),Tom (June 25th, 2022)

Last Online
    35 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I'll have to see if there's a way to move a picture or album set out of the photo rotation - to be placed on the members' account only. If not, the items would (likely) be deleted. If the member is active, a PM to them before deletion would be a good courtesy - giving them a chance to download if they don't have a master copy.

22. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

RockyMtRebel (June 25th, 2022),TDash (June 26th, 2022),Tom (June 25th, 2022)

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

In response to the photo header specifically....many of us now-a-days do not use the in-forum photo album feature, and instead, host our photos at a remote site. That means many of the more recent photos from active members over the last 5+ years are not part of the header rotation. At one time, the forum had limitations on the max size of a photo that could be attached, and thus resizing and saving into the forum was a few extra steps that often just gets bypassed with remote hosting. Additionally, many of us have very high resolution, large file size photos, and when sharing them with other members after a trail run (often the best pics of ourselves and our rigs are from other people), I prefer to provide them with the highest quality photo, and the forum album software/size limitations didn't allow for posting full-size photos for other members to download. I'm not sure, but it seems the file size that can be uploaded has increased at some point, but guessing its still partially limited, as well as the total album memory may run into limitations. Obviously, no solutions suggested here - just some of the issues that maybe could be looked into or at least help identify why we have lots of old photos and not many more recent photos in the header.

24. The Following 5 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

JGRubicon (June 29th, 2022),Jim (June 25th, 2022),RockyMtRebel (June 25th, 2022),TDash (June 26th, 2022),Tom (June 25th, 2022)

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

If the photos in our albums have to be 4x4 related only that is censoring someone from having other albums such as pets or camping.

"like the current Supreme Court Clowns"

let's keep the politics off here.

I understand you are just making a suggestion to improve the site and I am simply creating discussion of potential concerns. I want to see things other than just rigs here. I can search the internet and look at rigs all day long. I want this to feel like a more tight group that share more than just wheeling. Wheeling should be the main focus as that is why we all came here to begin, but I don't feel we do justice to ourselves as a group to limit it to that.

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "more recent photos from active members over the last 5+ years are not part of the header rotation"

that is something to consider. Perhaps people are not aware of how to set up an album. They could post the off site pictures for trail reports but still upload a copy to an album to help improve newer stuff at the top.

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    35 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

xaza previously posted:
    "I want this to feel like a more tight group that share more than just wheeling. Wheeling should be the main focus as that is why we all came here to begin, but I don't feel we do justice to ourselves as a group to limit it to that."

This is my feeling.

As for politics and religion. In the main rules - they are not banned. I assumed they were, but no. ...and this is original Chris rules, not something I changed. Hit the rules link (bottom of each page) and search for religion or politics -neither are listed. Religious, pertaining to no religious slurs, does exist.

Bottom line, the rules say - treat everyone nice. Most topics are fair game (there are select items called out as "dont's"). I had not noticed the chat ?guidelines? of no politics and religion.

I wish what is best for the group. We are, wonderfully, a group that gets along well. Do I wish we had more activity in the same direction, yes. If folks have recommendations for that, I'm curious.

Getting back to Cliff's comment, above, we could be "just a scheduling group" - deleting all of the other content the site offers. If we focused on that route, I know it would hurt our "let's get together for a run" aspect. Matt's recent desire to get out is one example of that - we did not have folks jumping in to say "let's go". I'd gather many of the new members have not logged in for the past two or three weeks. They're missing out on an opportunity to wheel / get together.

What might we do to have new folks (and existing folks) check in more often?

For me, I have made this URL an easy-to-click bookmark - it shows me the new/unread posts the site has to offer. I hit it multiple times per day when I'm at the computer:
    http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/....php?do=getnew

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    '06 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

I agree that a lot of the photos at the top are garbage I am not interested in. I actually do like seeing some of the old full size pics but when I click them those members are long gone and the pictures are tiny resolution.

I also agree with James, a ton of photos don't get added that are new. I wonder if instead if the random picture module only pulling from within the same host if there are newer modules that can pull and randomize from let's say a Google album. If we get in the habit of the cool new practice of having a shared album per run where everyone contributes we could also link to a kind of master Google album that includes recent 4x4 pictures and maybe doesn't include all the nice nature shots. I appreciate the nature shots per album but I think wouldn't be as valuable in a randomized picture header.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

My main point was that I think the pictures along the top should be reflective of the current groups active members and group trips. Current could go back a couple years if needed but at some point I think the old pictures from former group members should be deleted or archived somewhere.
    I think some of the new members start looking around and see all of these old and non-4x4 relevant pictures and old subject postings from years ago and feel like maybe this isn’t the 4x4 group they were originally looking for and then never come back to participate. Having parameters for these pictures is not censorship at all, it’s just limiting pictures to relative content that people coming to an off-roading group and website can relate to. Keeping pictures up from folks that haven’t even visited this site for 5 or 10 years makes no sense at all! Putting pictures that are completely non-relevant to off-roading is also a distraction and doesn’t make sense.
    I honestly think anyone that isn’t an active “wheeler”, meaning they’ve actually participated in group runs that were on the calendar and in trail planning forum, should not be allowed to post pictures to the header albums or have any say for that matter. In my opinion, if your Wheeler Badge hasn’t been updated in a couple years it should be removed and replaced with the Flat Tire mentioned in the Rules. Flat tires aren’t relevant and shouldn’t have posted pictures and probably also shouldn’t have as much influence as active members who actually use this site and help it stay active!
    Sorry if this offends anyone, it’s not intended to! Things need to be cleaned up and revised every now and then or else the quality and environment will suffer — wether that’s this website, your vehicle, your house, your desk or your computers desktop! I just see way too many “cobwebs” & “dust” and I’m in the cleaning mood
    But again, I am just throwing ideas out there and have no power to make any changes….. I do have xtra time and would be happy to volunteer time to make changes, however And I have and will continue to support this website financially. Luckily I built a successful company over the last 10 years and would be happy to sponsor this website with additional funds to update any software or platforms that would improve the functionality and appeal of the site also!
    just sayin’ that I’ll put my money where my mouth is also!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast