4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Default Hole in the Rock and Moab trip

I left home at 7am on Saturday and drove a little over 9 hours plus some stop time to make it to the Halls Crossing gas station meeting spot. Gretchen was there already so we hung out and chatted while Shane, Trent & Steven showed up about 30 minutes later. After fueling up we all headed to the Hole in the Rock trail, ran up the trail about 5 miles and then found a cool spot to camp for the night. It was beautiful and the full moon came out and lit up camp that night. We all chatted and got to know each other and had a great time! Next morning we continued up Hole in the Rock trail and after another 5-6 miles it started to get rougher and slower going. For the rest of the day we pretty much had it in 4LO and crawled our way up and down obstacles in an amazing setting, but it was HOT! Hours later and in the hottest part of the day (early afternoon), Shanes G-wagon broke his front drivers side shock and we had to stop for MacGyver... I mean Shane to fix it. Gretchen was going to move her Jeep and went to start it but it just turned over and wouldn't start....... ........ so now we had 2 rigs down! I remembered GoSlo having a similar thing happen years ago and after waiting 30 minutes it started right back up.... vapor lock maybe. I mentioned this and we decided to focus on Shanes rig first and once he got the shock removed, we went back to Gretchens Jeep. Started right up this time!!! Thank goodness because it was SOOOOOO hot in this little canyon we had stopped in and it was good to moving again with AC blasted!
    The obstacles started getting harder and a couple hours later when we got to Waypoint 41 on Trailsoffroad.com description, it was decided to turn around. Now Steve and I were a little further behind the group at this point so I didn't really know what was going on until I caught up. Trent's Jeep was not feeling right (mechanically) and he was worried something bad could happen if we continued. Not wanting that to happen or to split into 2 very small groups since it was just 5 of us total, we decided to turn around at that point and find camp for the night. After running back down the trail for about an hour we came upon our camp for the night. Another amazing spot and we were treated with a full lunar eclipse for our efforts! Shane and I climbed up a huge rock and watched it from the start since we were in a rock alcove that didn't allow us to see the moon until after 10pm, during the full eclipse. Everyone got to see the full eclipse so that's cool! We also discussed going to Moab the next day so Shane could get a new shock and then we could do some trails around Moab for a few days to salvage this trip. The next morning we started back on the trail and pretty quickly came to an off-camber section that Trent ended up sliding to the side in a precarious spot. He was able to winch himself to Shanes bumper to get back on trail pretty quickly. The rest of the obstacles going back were a blast to play on and we all had fun doing so until we made it to the easy beginning section of the trail where we hammered it back to the trailhead.
    After running the 13 miles back to Halls Crossing to fuel up, we all drove the 2.5 hours to Moab. Trent decided his Jeep wasn't feeling safe and drove home from Moab. Shane found a shock really quickly and we all set off northeast of Moab and found an epic camp spot on the Dome Plateau trail. I've camped at this spot before and was hoping we could have it to ourselves and we did. We slept in a bit the next morning and then we ran Top of the World. It was a blast climbing difficult sections and pushing the limits of our rigs. We got the obligatory pictures at the top and then ran down the trail and were done pretty early so decided to go back to Dome Plateau and see if we could find a different epic campsite. I short cut the trail as we were trying to find a good camp-spot and just as we got to the last section, which is the most difficult, we found that epic camp site. Another night of hanging out together under the stars, drinking beer and whiskey and laughing our butts off! The next morning we left camp only to get to the most difficult obstacle of the trail. FUN! Then we ran down the hill to the road, aired up and headed east on I70 to Colorado.
    Steven had to head home right away but Shane, Gretchen and I decided to do a Colorado trail on the way home. We did a cool 12 mile loop (Dotsero Crater) and then tried Tie-rod Breaker, a hard-core crawler trail. The gate keeper did its job and we turned around pretty quickly

Overall, it was disappointing not to finish Hole in the Rock but we had a good Plan B and it was a blast. I had a great time with each and every one of you that participated, thank you!!!!

Now to plan Hole in the Rock Redemption...... looking at mid-October. Already mentioned it to my wife and she seems fine with it

Here’s a couple pics and some video clips of one of the many Hole in the Rock obstacles.

2. The Following 8 Members Say Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

Java (May 20th, 2022),JLWILLYS21 (May 20th, 2022),open_circuit (May 19th, 2022),speedkills (May 19th, 2022),Steve-O (May 19th, 2022),TDash (May 19th, 2022),TyTheJeepGuy (May 18th, 2022)

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Default Re: Hole in the Rock and Moab trip

Fantastic photos. Interesting turn of events. I should look up info on the obstacle. Glad it was well enjoyed!

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    '06 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

Happy to hear you guys made it back and made the best of the situation!

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Here’s a few more video clips

6. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

Java (May 20th, 2022),Steve-O (May 19th, 2022)

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

A few more…

8. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

Steve-O (May 19th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

that video of shane when he got a wheel up was nuts

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Bent a tie rod and still don't know what else is wrong. I have what feels like torque steer when going 40+mph and I step on the accelerator -- back end kicks hard right and front end points left. When I let off the gas everything shifts the opposite way. I'll have to inspect all of the bushings and track bars. Maybe could use some TJ experienced assistance figuring out what all is wrong now. Replaced tie rod yesterday since I happened to have a new in box spare in the basement already.

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

I had a great time until I decided it wasn't my week to run hard trails. Thanks for everyone for being a part of it. I have some photos to post later.

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

I'm really liking your follow cam Matt. I have a few good pics to post in a day or two as well, just recovering right now, I'm wiped out after all of that heat.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AhejEstW1aUjY5gx9

Link to all my photos and video clips on google photos

14. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

speedkills (May 20th, 2022),Steve-O (May 19th, 2022),Tom (May 19th, 2022)

Last Online
    May 4th, 2023
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
    User Name
    CarlBolanos
    Real Name
    Carlos Bolanos
    Thanks Given

Wow this video and picture look amazing. Already looking forward to the redemption run.

Last Online
    January 27th, 2024
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Such an awesome trip! Lot of firsts for me. First time in Utah, first multi-day 4 wheeling trip, and first time camping west of the Mississippi. Hole in the Rock was beautiful and hitting Moab was an unexpected bonus, Top of the World really tested my driving ability more than the TJ's capability. As always I've learned a lot from an awesome group of people (mostly camping tips from Trent). Looking forward to the Redemption Run!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mqf...ew?usp=sharing

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Hey Steven, your link is just to one picture. I believe you have to create an “album” and then share it!

Great trip for sure, so much fun. Not technically my first trip to Utah to wheel but first time in 30 years and I look forward to going back to do some more and to re-do Hole in the Rock. I went a little farther than everyone else to waypoint 43 and down the obstacle thinking that everyone was behind me. I really look forward to the remaining 27 waypoints in October if it happens. I really enjoyed everyone's personalities, what a good group and it was sad to see Trent go home. https://photos.app.goo.gl/4tAdgsJmmvSJgAPCA

19. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Gretchen For This Post:

Java (May 20th, 2022),open_circuit (May 20th, 2022),RockyMtRebel (May 21st, 2022)

Last Online
    January 27th, 2024
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

21. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to Steve-O For This Post:

Java (May 20th, 2022),open_circuit (May 20th, 2022),RockyMtRebel (May 20th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 18th, 2023
    4x4
    96 Jeep XJ
    User Name
    Gearwhine
    Real Name
    Nick
    Thanks Given

Looks like an awesome trip; I love that y'all made the most of it despite the setbacks.

Now there is a great set-point for what the crew needs to be prepared for in October...that is worth a lot!

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

There was a little pre-Hole in the Rock wheeling on Saturday from Delta to Hall's Crossing.

Shane, Steven and I met up in Delta and ran some trails to Nucla across the Uncompahgre Plateau. This section took a bit longer than planned as we were turned back from our planned route due to the road being unexpectedly gated off and closed despite Gaia telling me this was a legal open route. From Delta we took Sawmill Mesa Rd southwest. Where it split into 501 (Columbine Bench Rd) on the right and Sawmill Mesa Rd on the left (descending some small ledges in a shelf section), we followed the planned Sawmill Mesa Rd route. The trail grew more narrow as we progressed until about 30-45 minutes after we started down this section we encountered the fence with "no trespassing" signs. Wit no alternate route, we were forced to backtrack to 501 and continue that way.

As we were now behind schedule due to a slightly later morning start than planned and the route closure, we continued southwest on 501 until we reached 504. In this area we found some very nice sparse pine and aspen forests with scattered snow piles (snow bashing!) and some great camp sites. We could have remained on 504 to return to the originally planned route (503), but we decided for the fastest route to a major forest road to try to reclaim some of our lost time. We took a right (west) on 507, then followed it as it turned south to meet up with 402. A few hundred yards from 402 we encountered a medium-sized pine tree across the trail. A friend who lives in this area and who has recently traveled through the plateau had warned me of possible downed trees due to high winds on the western slopes. Until this point, the only downed trees we passed had been cut or moved before we reached them.

Shane pulled out his new chain saw and cut the tree into a manageable portion. Steven was excited to use some new recovery gear, so we had a short winching lesson as I used my winch to first pull the tree down the trail and next across the trail by using a snatch block. I would guess we spent another 45 minutes dealing with this tree before were were back on the main road, 402. From 402 we quickly reached the Tabeguache Overlook area, which is where Shane, Ty, and I camped on our trip out west in the fall of 2020. The gate up 402 was closed when we passed, meaning this section of the Rim Rocker trail is not yet (or was not then) open for the season. We followed 503 (open) down the plateau at the closed gate (402), and made quick time towards Nucla.

From Nucla we took highways 141 and 401 to Monticello, and then the most direct pavement route to Hall's crossing. From Blanding we had hoped to have time to continue south to the Valley of the Gods and Moki Dugway, but due to our various delays we decided to head west on 95 from Blanding directly to Hall's crossing. We arrived just before 6pm to refuel and meet Matt and Gretchen.

The Uncompahgre Plateau offers a large trail network and some of my favorite type of forest for camping. I intend to return for some further exploration with my trailer in tow in the near future.

24. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Java (May 20th, 2022),speedkills (May 20th, 2022),Steve-O (May 20th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Great report, videos and photos. I'm sorry you guys had to call off HOTR, but it sounds like you made some excellent lemonade. How far did you make it? Did you go up Poopy Pants Hill? Anything you'd do differently in the Fall?

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "Did you go up Poopy Pants Hill"

very interested in more information about this part of the trail and how sketchy or tippy it is

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

We didn't reach the hill of poopy pants as far as I know. Nothing we did seemed to match that description.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast