4x4
    1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

Default Yankee Hill WARNING!

Ran Yankee Hill today. The Honcho Magnum has new shoes as of yesterday, some 33x12.50 MTs that I'm really excited about. Been watching Dirt Every Day as some club members have been advising me to and that plus the new tires had me itching to get dirt underneath the truck.

The forest is my happy place so I decided since I couldn't get my mall crawlin GC owning friend (who also now has a proper set of new tires) to join, I'd just do an easy trail that I know very well and find a nice little campsite to set up a chair and read at for a bit.

I settled on the Yankee Hill trail network. However, this time I was concerned about possible snowdrifts and since I was alone I didn't need to be pushing anything... So I decided to not start from my usual entrance which is I believe called Mine Rd, maybe Miner Rd near the Alice neighborhood. I looked at my map and saw that the first entrance off of fall river rd would be Hamlin Gulch, and I went for it. Aired down at the pull off. Let the dog chill out a bit (she hates the noisy truck).
    Shortly into the pretty narrow Hamlin Gulch section of Yankee Hill you will see a crossroads sign. One way is a dead end (map confirmed this) and the other is Hamlin Gulch continued. Underneath that it says WASHED OUT in white letters pointing to the right. HEED THIS WARNING. Its a damn shelf road, which I hadn't experienced in the Yankee Hill network yet. Where its dangerously washed out is after a rock feature that covers up a nasty slide area.

The ass end of the Honcho Ultra Super Magnum started sliding out on me and I was so scared I gingerly put it into park, made the dog jump out, and analyzed the situation from the outside. It looked like I was past the point of no return. I saw that if I sent it I should be able to continue. I kept the dog out of the rig as well as my left foot with the door open, and eased forward, ready to gun it if **** went literally sideways. I made it and so did the Jeep Ultimate Mega Magnum Honcho.

I was shaking like a leaf for about ten minutes after, never been more scared in all of my offroading experience. I think the dog appreciated being able to be outside of the truck while Dad did stupid things in it.

Pushed on the very mild rest of Yankee Hill to get to a nice reading spot and really enjoyed my afternoon in beautiful weather. I'll add a link to pics and video below.

TL;DR:
    Do not attempt the section of Yankee Hill called Hamlin Gulch off of Fall River Road unless you're looking for a slide risk for almost no reward, unless/until they patch it up sometime. Attaching a screenshot of the near-exact location.

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to TyTheJeepGuy For This Post:

Java (May 16th, 2022),JLWILLYS21 (May 16th, 2022),TDash (May 16th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Yankee Hill WARNING!

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

looks good on 33s!

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

TyTheJeepGuy (May 15th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

Slight rub when flexing and turning but otherwise did great.

Last Online
    24 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,011 Posts

Those wash-out type of conditions are where, if you have'm, I hit the lockers for if things go sideways and a wheel lifts (and forward momentum stops) - I want all planted tires to try and scratch their way out of the bad spot I put'm in.

Glad you made it out w/o a scratch. I'da come to the winch party if you needed it - thankfully... NOT.

Google Satellite shows this:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/39...4!4d-105.58763

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

I was on a group run that took Hamlin in the other direction a couple of years ago and there was a rocky section of the trail that scared a couple in a new Wrangler so badly someone else had to drive that section for them. It was dry then and pretty attention getting, I bet it was really scary covered with snow, glad you made it through! Good move putting the dog out first.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

It was dry when I ran it yesterday as well, no snow. That's why I came up that way, I was trying to avoid snow at the higher Yankee Hill elevations. Those loose rocks and dirt were sending the rear of the truck downhill and it was not a fun feeling. I don't blame those people for wanting someone else to drive that section.

Also, thanks Jim for the offer of help. I was about to contact you but I had my buddy Zach notified of where I was and ready to go if I needed his help. I nearly had him pick up my Wrangler to have something with a winch behind me.

Edit:
    That satellite view looks like it shows the spot. There's also some sections later on that have decently scary consequences if things went sideways but much less risky. Probably wouldn't have noticed them if I wasn't spooked from that washed out section.

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

I've hit that trail accidentally as well. No fun at all, glad it all worked out and your truck is looking great now too.

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to speedkills For This Post:

TyTheJeepGuy (May 20th, 2022)

I did Hamlin Gulch last year as part of a loop just before the snow started flying. Starting in Apex heading to Miners Gulch, then Kingston Pk.. down to St. Mary and last to Hamlin over to Central City. Hamlin was interesting, and once was enough. Glad you didn't fall off the hill.