4x4
    '06 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Moving Day

i have to look at getting Montana plates for my truck. With all the changes i have check engine, check 4WD, ABS etc all the lights are on and I don't think I'll be able to pass inspection next year when I am due. I guess there are legal ways to get Montana plates for of course a price

Last Online
    December 17th, 2023
    4x4
    '95 Ford Explorer, '91 Suzuki Jimny
    User Name
    Mad Maxx
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

TDash previously posted:
    "i have to look at getting Montana plates for my truck. With all the changes i have check engine, check 4WD, ABS etc all the lights are on and I don't think I'll be able to pass inspection next year when I am due. I guess there are legal ways to get Montana plates for of course a price"

I've looked at getting plates from elsewhere for similar reasons if I have to move back to the Denver area. It's absolutely insane how impossible they make it for non-USDM vehicles like my Jimny to pass. I kept up with a guy on Facebook who did a ton of work on his, including splicing in a catalytic converter ('91s and earlier kei models didn't come with them stock) and it still wouldn't pass. I found this site in my research - https://yourbestaddress.com/

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

Mad Maxx previously posted:
    "I've looked at getting plates from elsewhere for similar reasons if I have to move back to the Denver area. It's absolutely insane how impossible they make it for non-USDM vehicles like my Jimny to pass. I kept up with a guy on Facebook who did a ton of work on his, including splicing in a catalytic converter ('91s and earlier kei models didn't come with them stock) and it still wouldn't pass. I found this site in my research - https://yourbestaddress.com/"

Thanks for the info! I had thought about Montana mainly because Gerald had shared with me the possibility of "permanent vehicle registration"

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

TDash previously posted:
    "i have to look at getting Montana plates for my truck. With all the changes i have check engine, check 4WD, ABS etc all the lights are on and I don't think I'll be able to pass inspection next year when I am due. I guess there are legal ways to get Montana plates for of course a price"

Ummm...I am not the person to ask as I am not that familiar with MT motor vehicle registration, but I can say they do require 2 items of proof of residence, and they only mail titles to a MT address. You would need the same for a MT driver license, which the license can then be used for any other residency proof. In my case, the backlog to get a DL is a 3-4 month wait - i signed up for an appt in April that is for July - so I had to provide the 2 proofs of residence to get my vehicle titles transferred and registered. For out of state titles, they must be transferred to MT title first and then registered of course, and that can only be done in person, and requires the proof of residence. The website lists what that is, but its stuff like warranty deed for house, rental agreement, property tax bill etc is proof of residence - generic mail is not. It may depend on the staff member you work with that day, but when we registered the 2 DDs, they barely looked at our proof of residence, and technically, they only verified Jen's residence (we do not share the same last name) for the title in her name, and never verified mine for the title in my name. But today, when I went to register the two old jeeps, a different woman was a bit more 'detailed' in her review. Finally, the titles are mailed to you a couple months later, and they are only mailed to the MT residence address. In other words, its not a trivial game to play....

Colo can be a PITA to get a missing title replaced, and depending on your location, the emissions or inspections can also be difficult etc. Montana doesn't have nearly as much issue (like no emissions, no inspection) with that assuming you have a residency, or some good way to claim one. One nice thing MT does is a 'permanent' registration for vehicles over 10 years old. It costs about twice what a yearly registration is, but its good forever. They do NOT have a 'collector vehicle' tag like CO has - which I kind of liked on my old iron. They do have an 'antique' tag, but its only good for travel to and from ceremonial/historical functions and parades (Colorado also has this). So, in theory, if your vehicle is over 10 years old, and you can play the game well enough to get the MT title and permanent registration, then yes, you are good to go with a lot less hassle...

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Mad Maxx previously posted:
    "I've looked at getting plates from elsewhere for similar reasons if I have to move back to the Denver area. It's absolutely insane how impossible they make it for non-USDM vehicles like my Jimny to pass. I kept up with a guy on Facebook who did a ton of work on his, including splicing in a catalytic converter ('91s and earlier kei models didn't come with them stock) and it still wouldn't pass. I found this site in my research - https://yourbestaddress.com/"

There is kind of dead zone of production years that are difficult to deal with in Colo with regard to emissions. With my old cj and willys, they were old enough to qualify to collector plates and thus exempt from emissions and any concern about engine swaps and what not - plus you get a 5 year registration. But if you venture into the late 70 or early 80s, then it does not qualify for collector plates, and emissions on those age vehicles are often problematic, and if any engine swaps or modifications have been done, it can get tricky. In other words - buy old iron and then you never have to worry about that stuff even in the front range!

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

there is actually an industry behind this entire thing now. basically you pay this lawfirm company, they setup an LLC for you and take care of it all

https://www.49dollarmontanaregistere...e-registration

an article on jalopnik was written about it basically telling you not to do it but i dont know what other choices i will have. either drive illegally without registration because they won't pass? move? idunno what everyone does for these situations

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

I registered my Corvette in Minnesota since they don’t have emissions testing and it was easy, they also send me my yearly sticker to my Colorado residence. At the time I went into a DMV in rural MN where I owned some land and they didn’t ask for much of anything. It was easy and I pay $63/year to renew the plates

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

TDash (June 15th, 2022)

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Saying goodbye to our home for the last 14.5 years. We signed closing papers and taking the last few remaining item back to MT. Not the best picture, but I am too tired to stage the truck properly. And BTW....yes new truck for us. We actually bought it a a month ago, but it's essentially been parked here for this final trip. We sold my father's Suby a few weeks ago, and the Tacoma goes up for sale next week to cover a big chunk of the cost. Check in with us if your in the Bozeman/big sky area. I'll be in Leadville the first week of aug so maybe see/wheel with some of you then. Also looking to join in a Utah trip this fall. July Rubicon trip is happening, but I may opt out for budget (gas price) reasons. But one day, I think it'd be a fun trip for the FR4x4 crew to go do. Thanks all...hope to wheel with you again...and guessing I'll be around the forum for a bit.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Bittersweet pic.

Congrats on having things fall into place (yes, a bit of work needed to get there).

Don't be a stranger.

Now, what's the first car in the street behind the trailer - some 50's classic?

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

My neighbors 57? Plymouth belvedere I believe. First car he owned as a youngster out in Rocky Ford - guessing that was early 70s or so...it wasn't new when he bought it. At some point when he replaced it, he decided to store it away for 20+ years and revisit it later to build a hot rod. He got it back on the road 10-12 years ago with a big block v8 Mopar and some slightly more modern upgrades...new paint and interior etc. It's a 4 door. Mostly a Sunday cruiser for him.

12. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Jim (June 18th, 2022)

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Headed to Kelly Flats for some deadfall limb trim. I had the camera ready when I passed the log jam...

14. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (June 18th, 2022)

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Feel like we are settling in....got the important stuff organized - sad part is the small gear room is getting full and I still have 3 more pair of skis and quite a few backpacks that are not in there.

and starting to get the shop set-up - I found the floor at least!

Lots of other distractions of course....the property we bought is amazing, and at one time someone put some effort into landscaping, trees, planting beds etc. But its been neglected a bit over the past few years and is pretty overgrown. So we found an old troy bilt, made in USA chipper unit and spent some time getting it running - mostly needed some carb and fuel system clean up etc:

pretty simple carb:

And now it works! Its going to help dispose of all the tree trimmings as well as we can put the mulch to use.

As I also found the 'missing' box - it had important stuff like my welding PPE and MTB stuff (sure that makes sense) - so we are off to explore in the jeep tomorrow. Will let you know what we find.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Progress!

It's amazing how well "stuff" expands to fill the larger space available.

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Sorta feel like this was the last step of the move....sold my beloved Tacoma today. My last photo:

This is the day I brought it home - I think I took good care of it:

That weekend, we took it on its first camp/hike/4wd trip - We camped near the trailhead to Mt Shavano, and then hiked Shavano and Tabaguache. It didn't have the rack or bed cover on it yet....

It took us all over the country and on many skiing, hiking, biking and camping trips across the west with lots of fun backroad 4wd exploration (especially in Utah and red rocks country). Although at one time, I wanted to lift it a bit and make a better wheeler out of it, I bought the cj a year later, and as that turned into a trail running, wheeling specific jeep, there was less need to build it up. It has 172k miles (of which I am responsible for 164k) and was still running great with new factory replaced frame - and overall it was still a very clean and mostly pristine looking truck....I started to sell it a couple times over the summer, but between being busy and both and Jen and I having some separate travel plans etc, and not really excited to see it go, I didn't try all that hard. But as we've settled in nicely here and essentially only need one primary vehicle with the new Ford for most things - it was time. Plus, with the 58 now having an OD and running well (along with the CJ), there is always a another vehicle for me to use for simple stuff. Sold it to a MSU college student who wants to put a topper on the back and build a platform to sleep on and ski bum etc in. Pretty much why I got it....anyway - was a bit sad to see it go. I honestly like driving it better than the Ford for most DDing, but then again, Jen loves the Ford, and its essentially become her truck and DD - I get to drive at her discretion or on road trips. We towed the cj down to Leadville in August, and it does tow it like a dream compared to the Taco. Fare thee well....

18. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Java (September 12th, 2022),Schmitty (September 12th, 2022),snoopy (September 13th, 2022)

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Congrats.

You treated it well and it treated you well.

Next owner seems a bit like the current owner. It'll be happy visiting remote roads.

20. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (September 12th, 2022)

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Been stuck mostly on the couch per doc's orders for a couple days - so been watching the deer in the yard. A new, larger buck has appeared and pushed his way into the space and been chasing off the smaller one - he's been relegated to the neighbor's yard.

22. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

JGRubicon (November 20th, 2022),Tom (November 19th, 2022)

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

Hope nothing serious James. I myself tested positive for Covid yesterday. Sucks but doing ok.

Last Online
    18 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Best wishes Tom ....all good here....today is day 3 and able to start doing 'normal' day activities, so waiting for the temps to get above 0F and head out to the shop to at least entertain myself. Full go on most all stuff including athletic activities after a week.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

`hope you both get back to good health in short order!

26. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

JGRubicon (November 20th, 2022),Tom (November 19th, 2022)

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

Tested negative for covid this am.