'21 Gladiator Rubicon - '23 2500 Rebel
    User Name
    DaveO
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Default Nothing but "larger" trucks for us now

So...

I sold my 4Runner and got a Ram Rebel... it is stock, WIDE and long, but has a rear locker, 3.92s... it will be our primary vehicle when pulling our off road camper to farther away locations and "not narrow" places.

My 4Runner was a great truck and we built it conservatively with function in mind - but even with 4.88 gears it was not always happy pulling our off-road camper (the tow rating for the 4Runner is 5k and the Patron is 3700 empty).
    We still have the wife's Gladiator Rubicon for off road trails that the Rebel won't fit on and day trips. Still not sure yet what the difference is going to be, on most trails, between the Rebel and Gladiator other than width, length, and a bit of turning radius.

This year will be a re-learning year since we have always had an XJ, JK, or 4Runner for trails.
    Kinda sad since the 4Runner took us to some places we might not get to now - without damage... (scratches and little dings don't count)

Any advice on here or on the trails when we meet is appreciated!

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Nothing but "larger" trucks for us now

DaveO previously posted:
    "So...

I sold my 4Runner and got a Ram Rebel... it is stock, WIDE and long, but has a rear locker, 3.92s... it will be our primary vehicle when pulling our off road camper to farther away locations and "not narrow" places.

My 4Runner was a great truck and we built it conservatively with function in mind - but even with 4.88 gears it was not always happy pulling our off-road camper (the tow rating for the 4Runner is 5k and the Patron is 3700 empty).
    We still have the wife's Gladiator Rubicon for off road trails that the Rebel won't fit on and day trips. Still not sure yet what the difference is going to be, on most trails, between the Rebel and Gladiator other than width, length, and a bit of turning radius.

This year will be a re-learning year since we have always had an XJ, JK, or 4Runner for trails.
    Kinda sad since the 4Runner took us to some places we might not get to now - without damage... (scratches and little dings don't count)

Any advice on here or on the trails when we meet is appreciated!"

You've started down a dangerous path with only one destination -- ram power wagon.

Congrats on the truck

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

DaveO (May 5th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    '06 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

congrats on the Rebel

that gladiator can take most places, do you not want to wheel with it?

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    DaveO
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

TDash previously posted:
    "congrats on the Rebel

that gladiator can take most places, do you not want to wheel with it?"

Thanks!
    We will definitely wheel the Gladiator since it is way more capable than the Ram, but the Ram pulls the camper so much better and fits our dog in the back seat better that it will be the go-to when we camp. (1st world problem)
    I will have to get used to the size difference of both compared to the truck I wheeled for the last five years.

Plus the Gladiator is "hers" and she has declared "no lift", she is fine with the bumper and winch and when the tires wear out the new ones will be bigger - I may put on a small spacer up front to counter the bumper and winch weight but don't tell her...

Last Online
    March 7th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

I started on this forum with a 2017 Rebel and ended up denting and scratching the **** out of it..... bought a couple TJ's to wheel in and traded the Rebel for a 2018 Powerwagon. If your trailer is on the smaller side then the Rebel should be fine, I have an Airstream and the Rebel just felt a little unstable with and the Powerwagon feels much more planted towing (26 foot). The Powerwagon is also light years better offloading than the Rebel, it's just as capable as built Rubinons but the tight trails still can wreak havoc (I have the scratches, gouges and dents to attest).

Best stick to wider trails, I'm happy to let you know of any trails I've done that are FULL SIZE friendly and those that aren't, just hit me up!

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    DaveO
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

RockyMtRebel previously posted:
    "I started on this forum with a 2017 Rebel and ended up denting and scratching the **** out of it..... bought a couple TJ's to wheel in and traded the Rebel for a 2018 Powerwagon. If your trailer is on the smaller side then the Rebel should be fine, I have an Airstream and the Rebel just felt a little unstable with and the Powerwagon feels much more planted towing (26 foot). The Powerwagon is also light years better offloading than the Rebel, it's just as capable as built Rubinons but the tight trails still can wreak havoc (I have the scratches, gouges and dents to attest).

Best stick to wider trails, I'm happy to let you know of any trails I've done that are FULL SIZE friendly and those that aren't, just hit me up!"

The trailer is small-ish just heavy for its size (a Black Series Patron). I almost went Power Wagon but 90% of the time it'll be on the road.
    Glad to hear of the trails that are full-size friendly - we get scratches on the Gladiator so I know we will on the Ram too but it doesn't hurt to avoid dents when possible.

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    '06 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

almost every trail is full-size if you try hard enough and don't care about consequences lol

(except for T-33 from what I am told)

Last Online
    34 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,024 Times in 2,012 Posts

TDash previously posted:
    "(except for T-33 from what I am told)"

T-33 is now full size capable... because enough full size or side-by-side's have taken out the trees that made the tight zig-zag. The overall trail is wider now too - with more passing pullouts than before (likely because of the increased side-by-side traffic).

Of note - the side-by-side rental business I believe has been shut down. I think the technicality was they were not street licensed and some of the Bunce "road" is actually county road property vs. private property.