1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

Default I now know why my back hurts

Sorry for the personal, non 4wd, medical post, but ....One of these disks is not like the others...

'massive' herniation of the L4/5 disk that is protruding into the spinal cord. Doc said it's one of the 3-4 largest she's seen in her 10+ years. Not only did the outer annulur ring herniate, the inner nucleus ruptured as well.

Ive been managing back pain for years since a bad ski wreck in the Backcountry a number of years ago. Insurance would never approve MRI, but this winter has been rough. I've worked 94 days plus a few days unpaid professional development since mid-December, and I've started asking for less physically intense work assignments to manage the pain. When my work scheduler said I was as useful as my 79 year old colleague that only works half days, I decided I had to get the MRI. So I have 3 weeks more of work to manage, but my summer jeep, river and backpacks trips are all in jeopardy...surgery is looking likely, even somewhat so by my physical therapist. Guess I may have more time to remodel bathrooms at this rate. My 85 year very active father always says your only as old as you think/feel....well I am feeling old.

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

Default Re: I now know why my back hurts

Bummer James, if you have to have surgery, I hope things go smoothly and you have a speedy recovery. How has this affected your move? Take care, David.

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to JandDGreens For This Post:

FINOCJ (April 1st, 2022)

Last Online
    August 28th, 2022
    4x4
    97 Dodge CTD, 85 4R, 89 YJ, 04 Kawasaki Mule
    User Name
    Brucker
    Real Name
    Aaron Brucker
    Thanks Given

Wow. That sucks. I know everyone and every injury is different, but after blowing out my L5/S1 twice in 3 years, I would be doing everything to avoid surgery. I opted to get surgery the first time as the pain was unbearable, and I literally couldn't work. I took the advice of the surgeons I spoke to without realizing I should probably speak to some others who's main profession was to cut me open. Surgery didn't help much in the long run. The second time, I had surgeons telling me I needed a fusion. I finally wised up and looked for a second, third, forth, etc opinion. I realized that giving my body time to actually heal all while strengthening my core through rigorous PT was worth a shot as I could always get the surgery, but could never go back once I had the fusion. After about 9 months to a year of working with the greatest PT I have ever met, I am back, better than ever. I do need to keep up with my daily exercises and stretches or I notice the pain/inflammation is harder to keep at bay. Anywho, if you'd like the name of the PT I worked with, I would be happy to pass it along. She is located in Longmont, but well worth the drive.

Another tool that I still find very useful to this day is a foam roller. Laying with it along the length of your spine, you should find it naturally "relaxes" you back into position. Really helped relive a lot of the muscle tightness I carried in my chest and shoulders as I compensated for my lower back pain. Maybe it might help you?

I wish you the absolute best with this. Core muscle pain is like none other. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

5. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Brucker For This Post:

FINOCJ (April 2nd, 2022),Tom (April 1st, 2022)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Health is #1 over jeeping / rafting! Readily put all of it on hold if you can improve your health. A "year out" is nothing - go for good health.

If I, or anyone else here, can help - just holler.

7. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (April 2nd, 2022),Tom (April 1st, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

That pic hurts to look at. So sorry this happened to you James and I hope it goes well. We all enjoy your rafting trip reports!

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

FINOCJ (April 4th, 2022)

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Back pain is the worst. To echo what Aaron said, get several opinions and try other remedies before surgery. About 8 years ago I was in massive pain, I have stenosis all along my spine and a herniated disc. The first surgeon I went to wanted to cut me open from my lower back all the way to between my shoulders, recovery would have been 6-9 months. The second surgeon I went to said I only needed surgery in one specific location but to try PT and other options first. PT helped a lot but wasn't enough. A shot of anti-inflammatory and steroids also helped but still not enough. After about 9 months of trying I opted for the surgery to removed the protruding disc and cleanup the stenosis in the same area, it was immediate relief. About a year ago, the pain returned, MRI confirmed that the disc had herniated some more. This time PT was all I needed to get back to normal and I know do stretching and back exercises everyday. I think if I would have been doing that after the surgery I wouldn't have had a relapse.

I hope you get relief soon.

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to newracer For This Post:

FINOCJ (April 4th, 2022)