1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,011 Posts

Default Forum "New Member" stats

I maintain a spreadsheet that helps the admin process. One section involves member account info. Out of curiosity I tallied new account sign-ups per year.

2013 122 First entry Feb 10 / not a full year
    2014 165
    2015 166
    2016 135
    2017 141
    2018 153
    2019 31
    2020 37
    2021 56
    2022 7 thru March 26

The 150+ number surprises me in two ways. First, the new member process is not time consuming and I'm a bit eye opened at the number. The effort involved amount seems like it would be in the 10 to 20 members range but the number is much higher. Second, I'd think we'd have more forum activity / run activity - but no. Many of those accounts time out and go inactive with the person never reactivating. That's a higher amount of churn than I would have considered.

The drop in numbers for 2019 finds me curious. 2020 and 2021 can be tacked up to society changes - but I do not know about 2019. Anyone have an idea?

What might we do to have the new folks become more active? We don't care to have high numbers or low numbers - we desire active members on the trails.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Bob (March 27th, 2022),FINOCJ (March 26th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 937 Posts

Default Re: Forum "New Member" stats

Hmm. I guess we’re not the fun bunch we used to be.

I am for whatever makes what Jim does around here easier.

Last Online
    57 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

Thanks Jim...this is all a piece of the larger discussion also being addressed in the flat/spare tire reactivated account discussions. As you say, it's less about new membership numbers than active memberships. It's hard to say for sure, but it does seem we have less and less posted runs. I have some thoughts on this, completely unverifiable of course, typing single finger on my phone needs a break....I'll get back to them in a while.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

I am fine with either and am comfortable with whatever you might decide.

Last Online
    17 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "it does seem we have less and less posted runs."

That's my "seat of pants" thought as well. Granted, the past two years is a huge asterisk in the stats book, but I'll say the less amount of runs does go back several years.

Is the "trail run" world changing? Is there a different forum/meet-up in the mix that's having an effect? If it's me/the admin that is a detraction, I want to hear it! If there's a way we can improve - we should talk about it. We don't _need_ to change or improve so long as the folks who are active wheeling members are comfortable with who we are. If we can garner a larger, more active audience I'd be interested in discussing it.

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (March 26th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Its not you Jim!

Last Online
    17 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Tom previously posted:
    "I am fine with either and am comfortable with whatever you might decide."

Thank you, though I wish admin type decisions to be shared by all of us. I wish to hear of any criticism of me personally or the forum software or our group in general. I wish to hear of any comment for improvement.

Tom previously posted:
    "Its not you Jim!"

Thanks Tom.

I'm mature enough to know that actions of an admin can sour participation in a group. That same maturity welcomes sincere criticism. Improvement is a goal.

I'd propose to say, all active members wish the group to prosper. A "nice problem to have" would be one where there are "too many" runs scheduled each weekend such that choosing which to join is "a problem".

10. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Bob (April 7th, 2022),FINOCJ (March 26th, 2022),Tom (March 26th, 2022)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

I wonder if there were some key "influencer" former members who were particularly effective conduits for guiding new folks to this club and forum and the loss of these folks has affected the rate of new memberships. Maybe we're past the peak of the overlanding / 4-wheeling surge and seeing a resulting decline? Hard to say since we can't run a double blind experiment on this one. It does seem like the past couple years we've had fewer runs posted by different club members -- most of the runs seem to be posted by the same handful of members. Several of the folks who planned runs I went on in 2017, 2018 and 2019 have moved away so they are not posting runs any longer.

Just some guesses. I don't think it's "Jim is the problem", but I suppose if I felt that way I may not be checking the threads to even see and respond to this one. Forum membership and thread responses are always going to be a self-selecting (biased) sample. Certainly I can't think of anything I've witnessed Jim do that would suggest "wild forum admin alienates club" or anything of the sort.

12. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Bob (April 7th, 2022),FINOCJ (March 26th, 2022),Jim (March 26th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

I am hoping for a resurgence of active members post government interference in our day to day lives. I don't say this to start a political discussion, but I feel that for the past 2 years it definitely kept many from getting out with groups. And I am one who hopes more people start living thier lives out like they were before 2020. Really there were about 8 of the members who were constantly planning and getting out. I wish I could have gotten out more too! I think the world of of Front Range (members and the format in the way things are ran). I always have a great time with you guys! I'm hoping to join everyone as much as I can this season.

Also Jim thank you for everything you do!

Last Online
    57 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

Just my thoughts with regard to perceived decrease in trail runs...the current most active group of wheelers are quite experienced, have more than stock capable rigs, and like running trails on the harder end. I think new members are often lower experience, with more stock rigs (although a lot of off the dealer floor 4x4s are REALLY capable), and are interested to run easier to moderate trails gaining experience.

When I first joined the group, those are the runs I went on as I was figuring out my old cj. In some ways, maybe I was fortunate that Louis was also just getting his old iron out on the trail, and Tim was sort of a newbie running a stock jk. We were able to run a lot of mild trails together, and I would get all nervous looking at runs going to MSV or pickle etc. My old jeep was pretty unreliable and not all that capable (and maybe it still isn't sometimes). Anyway, the point is I think we could use more diversity in trails we run as well as in challenge, and maybe focusing some additional runs towards the easier to moderate difficulty. I think my first year we even had a stocker-no lockers run and there was a lot of discussion of a ladies run etc. Jen drives my jeep some, but she won't do it often on a group run....but bet she'd do it if there was less stage pressure (i.e. being watched by group) and other women etc.

I recognize our anyone can post or lead a run philosophy, but when it comes to new or less experienced members, that philosophy may struggle to support those members that are hesitant, yet still want to go. Our loose community of wheelers works well for those with experience and comfort, but a bit more structure or planned schedule (maybe even 'leadership') in terms of organizing and promoting runs, especially at the more moderate challenge level.

We've never had much in the way of annual planned runs outside of the 2 anniversary and cleanup runs. In my dream world, having 1 easier and one more difficult run sort of pre-scheduled for the main summer wheeling months could really help. Maybe the first and 3rd weekends of June through Sept and we could get them posted early? In my dream world, maybe in March/April, we'd get volunteers to lead these trips...they could pick their favorite trail. But then yes, some of us would have to take some extra initiative to do that. In some way, I feel this has sorta worked with the march and June anniversary runs followed by the July and Sept cleanup runs. Sounds a lot like a paid membership club schedule, but there is a reason those clubs have pre-scheduled runs. Obviously, these scheduled runs would not stop or block any other posted runs like we've always had. Would just provide a bit more structure and planned schedule for those that can benefit from it, as well it might be nice to have some of those focus on easier to moderate runs.

I don't think this idea is the end all solution....there are certainly other things at play. Some of our more passionate wheeling crowd has moved on to more traditional, paid membership clubs, maybe partially to ensure varied trip options. Others (maybe like me) look to expand wheeling to places like Utah and California, and maybe do that through jamborees or brand specific gatherings. In other words, FR4X4 is kind of a secondary or additional wheeling opportunity beyond ones primary 'big' trips.

15. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Bob (March 27th, 2022),JRF (March 27th, 2022),speedkills (March 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

I am hoping for a resurgence of active members post government interference in our day to day lives. I don't say this to start a political discussion, but I feel that for the past 2 years it definitely kept many from getting out with groups. And I am one who hopes more people start living thier lives out like they were before 2020. Really there were about 8 of the members who were constantly planning and getting out. I wish I could have gotten out more too! I think the world of of Front Range (members and the format in the way things are ran). I always have a great time with you guys! I'm hoping I can get out more his season.
    Also Jim thank you for everything you do!

Last Online
    17 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

JandDGreens previously posted:
    "I think the world of of Front Range (members and the format in the way things are ran). I always have a great time with you guys! I'm hoping to join everyone as much as I can this season."

It's a common comment - thus I don't think we're doing anything wrong - I just scratch my head questioning why there is not more activity (specifically now looking at the numbers of new members [when it was 150+]).

Here's to a nice forest trails season!! Hope to shake your hand a time or two!!

18. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

JandDGreens (March 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    17 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    "when it comes to new or less experienced members, that philosophy may struggle to support those members that are hesitant, yet still want to go."

I'll just pull one small section of your post. I see and understand your points - all of them. Others, please jump in and comment / pick up the torch for some of the ideas tossed about.

I could see a new member / easy trail (stockers / no lockers as you named one) run that might get many of the new sign-ups to SHOW UP. I could see picking up the torch on this. Early season preferred so the rest of the season could be available after the ice-breaker run. I could see it being NOT like a typical meet-and-roll run but rather a meet and spend an hour or two discussing assorted 101 topics (trail etiquette, trail rules / laws, communications, basics of obstacles).

I could see a winching / recovery 101 "run". It might not be so much as a run but more of a find a good location, meet, have each interested person roll through a process of winching / hi-lift use / etc to get some first hand experience.

As you mention a lady's run - certainly! Would it be ladies only or mixed with gals driving? One of each and see how turnout rolls? There are several ladies here that can pick up the torch.

Those things could see new members getting involved (lighting the match).

20. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Bob (March 27th, 2022),DaveO (March 27th, 2022),FINOCJ (March 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    91 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    JandDGreens
    Real Name
    David
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "I
    As you mention a lady's run - certainly! Would it be ladies only or mixed with gals driving? One of each and see how turnout rolls? There are several ladies here that can pick up the torch.

Those things could see new members getting involved (lighting the match)."

I can't even get my wife to try out driving my jeep? Might get my daughter to do that though. But if the Aniversery run falls on the right weekend, she will probably go along.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

In 2019 Google made some big changes to the way it handles searches and that may have stopped this site from showing up on searches. People may simply not be finding FR4x4, or not finding it as easily. It might be BERT's fault, I'm pretty sure it's not Jim's. I've been on this site for a while and it's never been this good, full of adults with working rigs and respectful attitudes. Colorado has changed too, this site is largely professional people with heavy work commitments these days and it's hard to coordinate time off. We've had an uptick in wildfires and ofcourse covid, but sometimes things just happen without reason. I wouldn't overthink it.

Edit- just spent some time googling 4x4 group colorado, offroad club colorado, 4x4 denver, and other variations and FR4x4 doesn't show up well. I think it might possibly be an SEO issue.

23. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Java For This Post:

Bob (March 27th, 2022),Jim (March 27th, 2022),open_circuit (March 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "Edit- just spent some time googling 4x4 group colorado, offroad club colorado, 4x4 denver, and other variations and FR4x4 doesn't show up well. I think it might possibly be an SEO issue."

Seems like a very reasonable theory. You're probably on to something here. I didn't find this club via a Google search, but rather via a former member through a post I saw on Reddit in 2017 -- basically pure dumb luck.

25. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Jim (March 27th, 2022),Tom (March 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

open_circuit previously posted:
    "Seems like a very reasonable theory. You're probably on to something here. I didn't find this club via a Google search, but rather via a former member through a post I saw on Reddit in 2017 -- basically pure dumb luck."

Did a search as well and we are not even listed in Stay the trail.
    https://staythetrail.org/find-a-club/

Edit:
    Just emailed them asking why.

27. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Tom For This Post:

Bob (March 27th, 2022),Jim (March 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

I for one just don't care much for posting runs. I'm definitely part of the problem, and can try to be better about it going forward. I tend to prefer to go on runs others plan or just go by myself and meet folks on the trail. No real reason other than I'm not much of a planner, but that's not a good excuse to put the responsibility of posting runs on everyone else so I'll make an effort to post a few this summer.

29. The Following Member Says Thanks to speedkills For This Post:

JandDGreens (March 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    17 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I, too, am like Shane. I am more of a react person vs. a planner person. I readily react to new member sign-ups, wheeler badge updates ;-)

As for not showing up on Google - I can open a ticket with the web host to see what they say.

Does anyone know if Google has a "status" function where a URL could be queried for indexing status (outside of trying searches at Google)?

I do somewhat recall an issue of indexing with Google ?? when they stopped indexing sites that were only HTTP ?? If I recall, that was a significant reason why we went HTTPS and the greater expense to do so.

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

I suspect the increasing popularity of side by sides (Razors etc...) may have something to do with this as well... I often encounter more of them on the trail than tradidional 4x4s.

32. The Following Member Says Thanks to Spieg For This Post:

Jim (March 27th, 2022)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast