2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Re: Forum "New Member" stats

The most important thing for google indexing is being mobile friendly, most searches and views happen on phones these days so they are focused on that. You are not even added to google if your site isn't mobile friendly, and fr4x4 is not: https://search.google.com/test/mobil...d8BsV78gW59r7w If you look at the crawled page the keywords look really out of date too, I'd guess the page headers and such could use a refresh.

https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly

If you open Chrome, right click the screen and select Inspect you can see how the site looks on various devices.

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Jim (March 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Tom previously posted:
    "Did a search as well and we are not even listed in Stay the trail.
    https://staythetrail.org/find-a-club/

Edit:
    Just emailed them asking why."

Several years ago I noticed several clubs' volunteer hours not listed. After rereading the page, I realized that STT listed only STT "members" AKA paying members.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Being 'mobile friendly' is something we could do. It likely would involve upgrading to a current version of the software. I could look into costs. The site uses a few (several) add-ins that Chris tracked down. Off of the top of my head:

Member photo gallery pictures displayed at the top of some pages
    The "Back to top" button in the lower right corner
    The "Yellow Bar" for upcoming trail runs (calendar events) (partially broken - no longer auto adds the date)
    PayPal donate (partially broken due to a security update)
    There is probably a longer list - those are the main items

Mobile uploads / photo sizing is perhaps the largest item folks have been working around.

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

The reply my inquiry of Stay the Trail. I replied with a thank you on all our behalf.

6. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to Tom For This Post:

Bob (March 28th, 2022),JRF (March 27th, 2022),Spieg (March 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    September 26th, 2022
    4x4
    '17 Tacoma SR
    User Name
    JRF
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Thanks Given

I found you all by googling colorado springs off road club.

Being new to the group, not going on any runs yet, I would like to see run planning posts with a minimum/recommended equipment list. ie: are lockers required to make it, 35's or bigger, stock is fine, etc. I wheel my daily driver, and would like to know at a glance if I need to look at my schedule or if its too much for my current truck, etc.

I realize I could look it up on my own, but a one stop shop would be nice. Like the recent post about the annual run, I've never heard of little moab, and Google had limited info about it. Are there bypasses for the harder obstacles?

8. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to JRF For This Post:

FINOCJ (March 27th, 2022),Jim (March 28th, 2022),Tom (March 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Little Moab/Rainbow Falls is fairly moderate with options around most obstacals but it can be a little tight in the trees so I wouldn't take a full size truck if you care about the paint.

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to Spieg For This Post:

JRF (March 27th, 2022)

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

JRF previously posted:
    "Being new to the group, not going on any runs yet, I would like to see run planning posts with a minimum/recommended equipment list. ie: are lockers required to make it, 35's or bigger, stock is fine, etc. I wheel my daily driver, and would like to know at a glance if I need to look at my schedule or if its too much for my current truck, etc.

I realize I could look it up on my own, but a one stop shop would be nice. Like the recent post about the annual run, I've never heard of little moab, and Google had limited info about it."

We do have a Trail Resources section - though it is rarely used, is incomplete and out of date. We specialize on coordinating runs.

Other sites focus on trail stats. Two sites to bookmark and use for trail information are:
    www.TrailsOffroad.com
    www.FunTreks.com (also - look at buying their books - nice resources to have along in vehicle or just thumb through to get ideas)

Aside from those resources, yes, when you see a run pop into Planning or Planned - jump in and ask how your vehicle might fit with the trail. Others will respond in just as they have in this thread.

After you travel a few trails you'll get an idea of how well you and your vehicle fit the ratings given by Trails Offroad and Fun Treks.

12. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Jim For This Post:

JRF (March 28th, 2022),open_circuit (March 28th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

speedkills previously posted:
    "I for one just don't care much for posting runs. I'm definitely part of the problem, and can try to be better about it going forward. I tend to prefer to go on runs others plan or just go by myself and meet folks on the trail. No real reason other than I'm not much of a planner, but that's not a good excuse to put the responsibility of posting runs on everyone else so I'll make an effort to post a few this summer."

I'm part of that problem too, I usually do solo runs at the last minute. I don't like feeling responsible for the trail runs either, and when you post it you sort of are. I also don't like vacations with plans, I prefer a list of options to choose from each morning depending on mood which makes coordinating a little weird. Having said that, I'll try to post some runs this year too.

14. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Tom (March 28th, 2022)

Last Online
    September 14th, 2022
    4x4
    1991 blazer
    User Name
    Coonburger
    Real Name
    Joshua
    Thanks Given

I am just spit balling here but I think a big thing is the popularity of say 4 wheel groups on Facebook and etc. is hurting the classic forum type 4wheel groups. I think what you are mainly seeing is just that nothing to much more. Possibly some form of frontrange 4x4 marketing may help. More activity on say a FrontRange4x4 YouTube channel. Like I said just spit balling ideas here.

16. The Following Member Says Thanks to Coonburger For This Post:

Jim (March 29th, 2022)

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

First of all, Every interaction I’ve had wheeling with Jim has been a true pleasure (even when I broke my tie rod and Max and Jim brought me home to get a backup and back on trail and helped me change it so I could drive out). in regards to active members, I have noticed a lack of activity from members since joining in 2017. Although I’m not winter wheeling in the front range anymore, I tend to be one of the more active posters for organizing a trail run on here. Granted, I go wheeling more than most but rarely does anyone schedule a run and it’s usually the same folks. Many of the folks that have been here a long time never join us on any runs.
    I’ll be back in a month or so and you will see trail planning posts from me again, probably annoyingly 🤣

Ill keep desert wheeling until then

18. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

Bob (April 7th, 2022),Jim (March 29th, 2022),TDash (March 30th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    '06 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

is there really a lack of activity? Other than previous two Snow Winter runs I went on it seemed like the runs I had been on in 2021 people were complaining we had too many people on the run with really big turn outs. I'm thinking specifically of the Miners Gultch run where we split into 2 and the Rainbow Falls anniversary run that even with some snow and mud had a pretty big turn out.

I know for me my rig was in the shop for months so it limited the number of runs I could go on and the Winter runs are tougher on my family but I am planning to get out a bunch this year

Will be sad to not see James on runs anymore though!

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

Depends on what you consider the base level for activity I guess. Based on Jim's numbers we are not being found by as many people as we used to but we could do a survey and see if people wanted more posted runs which as you point out is probably a separate question. It does seem like in the summer there are usually posted runs pretty much every weekend. In the winter it's much more sparse but personally I just don't consider this a winter wheeling club. I should start posting more snow runs and see if I can get more people interested in snow wheeling. I can understand not wanting to travel somewhere just to find out 10 minutes in that progress is impossible though, which is one of the reasons I have tended to just explore solo in the snow, I'd feel bad if I planned a run, people showed up, and we couldn't get anywhere.

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

yeah i just don't think there will ever be the amount of traffic for winter runs like there are for summer, some people don't like going when there is a little mud let alone snow. I know for me my family had fun on New Years Day but it made for an incredibly long day, we spent 12 hours in the truck and there weren't many opportunities for the family to get out

I'm just thinking new memberships stats aren't that meaningful, how many of those members when 150 people joined just ended up never posting or joining in on runs? I guess I am just viewing it from a different perspective such as when it's time the site needs donations it gets filled almost instantly. When we have planned runs during good weather a ton of people show up and everyone has a great time. Those are signs of a healthy group in my opinion.

22. The Following Member Says Thanks to TDash For This Post:

speedkills (March 30th, 2022)

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Dedicated topic forums just are not that popular anymore. Most of the ones I frequent, or used to frequent saw massive declines due to Facebook.

Last Online
    December 26th, 2023
    4x4
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

facebook groups certainly made a huge impact but i see Discord servers as the current dominating platform

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

What is discord servers, Scott? I’ve used mostly Facebook groups to find folks to wheel with here in California…. But I haven’t found a group like Frontrange4x4….. we have something special here folks!

when I first started going out on trails by myself in my Ramtruck I googled Colorado front range 4x4 and found this great site! I went on some trails with folks and got more and more into it. On one day, we did Storm Mountain and Jim was along (probably my first time meeting him) and we got to a really tight spur that I didn’t want to take my truck down. Jim told me to park it and hop in his Jeep with him. It was awesome and he even let me drive it a little on the way back up. That experience made me decide to buy a Jeep and stop beating on my Ram Rebel 🤣
    I did a ton of winter wheeling for a few years but the last two winters I’ve been living in the desert so haven’t been winter wheeling.
    Some of the folks I started to wheel with back in 2017 and 2018 I never see on here anymore and most new members introduce themselves only to never be heard from again. However, Jim still wheels more than anyone (I think), I still wheel often (although from afar currently) & a few of you others I can always count on seeing a response or some pictures of a recent adventure….. that’s what I love about this group and why I support the fundraisers and join and coordinate day or week long trips as much as I can. Can’t wait to see you all on the Hole in the Rock trail in mid-May 🤙🏽

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

RockyMtRebel previously posted:
    "On one day, we did Storm Mountain and Jim was along (probably my first time meeting him) and we got to a really tight spur that I didn’t want to take my truck down. Jim told me to park it and hop in his Jeep with him. It was awesome and he even let me drive it a little on the way back up. That experience made me decide to buy a Jeep and stop beating on my Ram Rebel"

I do recall - good times.

I question discord too. I have heard it mentioned a time or two but never have / never have bothered to look into it.

Last Online
    49 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

I saw it stated already that forums are just not as popular compared to the larger facebook groups. Forums have lag in time for responses and we don't live in a patient world anymore. We have been lacking advertising. Many members used to have FR4x4 stickers proudly displayed on their rigs but I have not seen a sticker production in quite some time. I am guilty of a considerable decline in posting runs over the last few years. Went through some issues with truck and when I got it going again just didn't have the passion I used to. Most of the people I knew and was familiar with had moved on and I just have not developed that relationship with the current group. Add into that my newfound passion of climbing (3 days a week) and now a bike I just am not that actively wheeling hence the reason I am selling both my Jeeps. I plan on getting another Jeep and getting back to some wheeling but I don't see it becoming an every weekend thing like I used to do. More like camping trips with a day of wheeling and a couple days climbing. I am more likely to jump in on a well planned run than to post my own at my current point in life.

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

That reminds me, I have a front range sticker I need to put on my rig. I have went to do it twice and backed out thinking I am going to screw it up. I should just bring it on the next run and have someone who has done one before help me with it.

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

TDash previously posted:
    "facebook groups certainly made a huge impact but i see Discord servers as the current dominating platform"

Never heard of it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast