Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Communications -what do you use?

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 939 Posts

Default Re: Communications -what do you use?

JGRubicon previously posted:
    "Signed up and submitted my application for a GMRS call sign, hopefully the wait isn't too long and I can start using these when we get back in town in a couple weeks.

Thanks as always for the infromation."

My experience is it only takes a few days.

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

Max previously posted:
    "I was asking specifically about the Firering connector on the antenna side. It's all one piece, there are pictures in the website I linked. I'm wondering if there's an adapter or something or if I should just get a whole new cable with the NMO end on the antenna side."

Those firering / 3/8-24 threaded studs are not well suited for VHF and UHF frequencies. Unless you screw one through the center of a metal roof you're not going to get a good groundplane and it would leak. You're also not going to find any sort of no-groundplane antenna for VHF/UHF on a 3/8-24 stud mount. You could clip it off and reuse the coax which is RG-58 I believe. You would have to crimp on another connector though. Depending on how long you have had it on there you may be better off replacing the coax as it can degrade with mositure, heat, and tight bends over time.

NMO is really the gold standard for VHF/UHF. They are waterproof when installed correctly and they'll provide the most options for antennas. PL259 antennas can work, but you'll probably want to take care to waterproof that connection and check it and clean it out once or twice a year.

If you care for my $0.02.
    Mounting higher is better. Try and clear the roofline if you can and stay away from our A-pillars if you can too as having vertical metal near the antenna can detune it and you wont radiate and receive equally in all directions. If you are going to mount it to the rear of your tub or off of a tire rack I would suggest a no-groundplane design or a coaxial array with one of the elements clear of the roof. These suggestions are really more important if you want to reach out with your range, but if you're more looking for simple vehicle-to-vehicle solution on a trail ride you can compromise a bit more and still have a perfectly functional setup.

3. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Mad Maxx (July 13th, 2022),Max (July 14th, 2022)

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

Max previously posted:
    "What's your favorite website to get radio equipment?"

For antennas I like antenna farm. https://theantennafarm.com/shop-by-c...obile-antennas

They have a decent selection of pre-terminated cables as well: https://theantennafarm.com/shop-by-c...antenna-mounts

For radios I figure out what I want specifically and shop around. I've inadvertantly become an ICOM guy but I seem to start looking at Yaseu stuff and then change my mind. For the chinese stuff I think Wouxun has some decent offerings. I have one of their handhelds and I like it. https://www.buytwowayradios.com/ is a good distributer for their stuff.

If you are looking more for components, for coax I shop around. Beldin and Times Microwave are good manufacturers. You never know what you are going to get on the unbranded amazon stuff. For connectors I usually look for Amphenol's stuff on Digikey or Mouser.

You are 100% right with regard to site design for a lot of places. It's like a time machine.

5. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Mad Maxx (July 13th, 2022),Max (July 14th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Antenna farm has a better price than amazon on the SS-680SBNMO

I purchased

Trevor? previously posted:
    "For antennas I like antenna farm. https://theantennafarm.com/shop-by-c...obile-antennas

They have a decent selection of pre-terminated cables as well: https://theantennafarm.com/shop-by-c...antenna-mounts

For radios I figure out what I want specifically and shop around. I've inadvertantly become an ICOM guy but I seem to start looking at Yaseu stuff and then change my mind. For the chinese stuff I think Wouxun has some decent offerings. I have one of their handhelds and I like it. https://www.buytwowayradios.com/ is a good distributer for their stuff.

If you are looking more for components, for coax I shop around. Beldin and Times Microwave are good manufacturers. You never know what you are going to get on the unbranded amazon stuff. For connectors I usually look for Amphenol's stuff on Digikey or Mouser.

You are 100% right with regard to site design for a lot of places. It's like a time machine."

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

For the heck of it I dug around for 3/8-24 VHF/UHF antennas. It turns out I was wrong and there are a couple options out there after all.

https://www.dxengineering.com/search.../3-8-x-24-stud

The MFJ-1414 seems to get a lot of unfavorable reviews on eham but they're older reviews. It looks like the Hustler is 2m only, but it's inexpensive.

It's still a bit uncommon but options are out there if you're willing to give them a try.... but like any antenna the mount can make really make it or break it.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

My SS-680SB…. work quite well on my jeep. The nmo is mounted on the spare spare mount. I have bonded it to my tub though. I have communicated with my FT8900R without a repeater almost 1/2 way to Limon from up on Miller Rock.

The other one is one right next to the passenger A pillar. I use that one for APRS and it does quite well also. Image to and from Mt Sherman trailhead. If you are not familiar each red dot is a successful position transmission.

Last Online
    11 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,038 Times in 2,019 Posts

Tom previously posted:
    "I have bonded it to my tiub though"

I'm planning to mount my GMRS ant to the tire carrier. Should I only consider mounting to the tub? Your bonding - just a "simple" ground wire from the moving part of the tire carrier to the bumper or body?

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "I'm planning to mount my GMRS ant to the tire carrier. Should I only consider mounting to the tub? Your bonding - just a "simple" ground wire from the moving part of the tire carrier to the bumper or body?"

You are correct your def of bonding in this instance. Mine is a fairly heavy gauge multi stand copper wire that I soldered appropriate size eyelets. It runs inside my tub to a body mounting bolt.

Unless your gmrs is a ‘no ground plane’ antenna then it definitely would not hurt. Our intent for doing the bonding is to improve the ground plane for the antenna.

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to Tom For This Post:

Jim (July 14th, 2022)

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

There's always tradeoffs, and you can always try one location and then move it later. Tub mounting can be nice because you won't have to deal wth the hinge and the need for the cable to flex every time you open and close it.... but on the tire carrier I'm guessing you can get the antenna up a little higher which is good if it doesn't create any clearance issues for you.

Really the best location for a VHF/UHF antenna on an open top Jeep would be right in the middle of the hood.... but that's pretty ridiculous for non-radio reasons. In my opinion on a Jeep you're forced to make a lot more compromises with practical factors than on most other vehicles.

For bonding a lot of folks use flat-braid instead of wire. At these frequencies the current only travels on the surface of the wire and flat braid has more surface area than similarly sized normal wire. You can rip apart a piece of coax and flatten out the shield in a pinch... crimp/solder on a couple of ring terminals and use those little star-shaped lock washers to really bite into the metal to get a good connection and some self drilling/tapping sheet metal screws. You can use regular wire too, it's just less ideal. Better than nothing. I might try using a bunch of smaller insulated wires in parallel in a piece of heatshrink in that case.

At least in my radio tinkering, bonding like this has been more of a tool for chasing and reducing noise sources. I have personally had trouble trying to bond a bracket to my fender or hood to improve a UHF goundplane and antenna tune. I haven't really tinkered with something like a tire carrier though. With quarter-wave whips at UHF I only get a good tune with an NMO mount drilled through a metal plate that is at least 2x the size as the antenna is long (as in 1/4 wavelength in radius). You might not need to bond. Try listening and transmitting with the engine running and see if you hear any clicking or popping thats proportional to engine speed. Ignition and injection systems make a ton of electrical noise and depending on their size, shape, and location body panels can resonate. My Icom radio can receive airband AM signals so I think it's a bit more susceptible to ignition and injector noise than one designed to work with GMRS or FM signals only.

I haven't played much with collinear antennas like the ones Tom uses. Jim, if I remember correctly I think you shared the antenna you bought and it may be a collinear array too. I've wondered if some of them are more or less sensitive to groundplanes than 1/4 wave designs. There are so many variables with antenna installations that you really have to just try something and see how it works... be willing to tinker a little if you have to. A lot of folks seem to have different opinions on what is "good enough" as well which might one reason for some of the mixed opinions you may encounter when researching these topics.

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Jim (July 14th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

I agree with everything Trevor has said so far on this thread Jim. I had simply read about the benefits for bonding so I did it at my initial install. Communications seemed fine so ran with it.

A thought Jim. If you could find a hinged antenna then perhaps a roll-bar could work.
    They have hinged antennas for dual band ham so I expect gmrs as well.

15. The Following Member Says Thanks to Tom For This Post:

Jim (July 14th, 2022)

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

On 2 meter VHF that bonding strap may have more of an influence on the quality of the RF ground and your tune. For CB its probably more necessary. For folks working 20, 40, or 80 meters mobile the vehicle is really too small as a groundplane I think.... you're usually capacitively coupling to the actual ground in that case I believe. I've really only just read about HF mobile though. My point is that different bands seem to have different levels of influence from various factors and it all seems to scale with wavelength. With UHF/GMRS I get the sense that you pay a substantial penalty for RF groundplanes that don't run right up to the base of a 1/4 wave antenna. For 2 meters not so much. Outside of 1/4 wave designs I have not tinkered enough to get a sense of how well that holds up.

I was able to get a decent tune on VHF using a dual band antenna on my front fender bracket, which sits about a half inch above the sheet metal of the cowl and hood which are bonded with copper braid in multiple locations. It would have been a 1/4 wave at 2 meters. I have it right at the hood-cowl interface to get it as far away from the A pillar as I could without having to remove it to flip the hood all the way open. It worked decent for VHF but not for UHF. I have since switched to a 1/2 wave VHF antenna in that location to get more energy out over the roof due to its length. When tinkering with a NMO magnet mount the tune of a 1/2 wave seems to be influenced less than 1/4 waves when it comes to location on a roof or hood. I still don't get a good tune with my magnet mount with UHF antennas, but it's a big, thick mount. I think those little magnet antennas that come with the midland mobiles are sized much more appropriately for UHF.

The only thing that I recommend folks here should really "worry about" would be to check your connections with a simple multimeter for shorts or opens where they are not supposed to be before you transmit. That's the most likely mistake one could make that could really damage your radio. Center pin of the connector to antenna element should be a short. Shield of the connector and your mount should be a short. Pin to shield should be open as well as element to mount. Be mindful that paint and coatings may hinder your measurement. If that's good than we can to tinker with grounds, bonding, mounts and other things.

These are just my experiences. I hope they are interesting and/or helpful to others.

17. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Mad Maxx (July 15th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

I had no issues tuning either of my Comet antennas on either vhf or uhf.

Last Online
    December 17th, 2023
    4x4
    '95 Ford Explorer, '91 Suzuki Jimny
    User Name
    Mad Maxx
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

Trevor? previously posted:
    "I still don't get a good tune with my magnet mount with UHF antennas, but it's a big, thick mount. I think those little magnet antennas that come with the midland mobiles are sized much more appropriately for UHF."

This is good to know but may be tricky to deal with. I originally used a very small magnetic NMO mount but quickly replaced it with a much larger one since the small one was easily knocked over.

20. The Following Member Says Thanks to Mad Maxx For This Post:

Trevor? (July 16th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    User Name
    Max
    Real Name
    Max
    Thanks Given

I got my radio installed! Does anyone in the Denver or Boulder area have a VHF/UHF SWR meter I can use to test the antenna?

Also, does anyone have one of these programming cables I can use? https://baofengtech.com/product/pc-04-programming-cable

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Max previously posted:
    "I got my radio installed! Does anyone in the Denver or Boulder area have a VHF/UHF SWR meter I can use to test the antenna?

Also, does anyone have one of these programming cables I can use? https://baofengtech.com/product/pc-04-programming-cable"

I have the cable for the uv5r but not the one in your link.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Settings for baofeng frs 6 privacy code 14.

Message me with your email address and I can send you a csv file for import.
    Shared the file on dropbox
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/in7fa4zvl...nZ387qbWa?dl=0

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Decent discussion

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2022
    4x4
    Jeep JK Rubicon
    User Name
    Pineapples
    Real Name
    Joe
    Thanks Given

I never really learned much about radios because I just went with whatever everyone in my club from NJ was using. It was always a set it and forget it affair. I remember the club making the switch to GMRS radios. It was like one weekend we were all using CB and the next GMRS.
    With that said I have a Midland MXT115 installed in my Jeep. Will that work for communications with you guys?
    Should I consider also having my CB installed in the Jeep. I know I have it in a box somewhere in storage.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

Pineapples previously posted:
    "I never really learned much about radios because I just went with whatever everyone in my club from NJ was using. It was always a set it and forget it affair. I remember the club making the switch to GMRS radios. It was like one weekend we were all using CB and the next GMRS.
    With that said I have a Midland MXT115 installed in my Jeep. Will that work for communications with you guys?
    Should I consider also having my CB installed in the Jeep. I know I have it in a box somewhere in storage."

We are mostly gmrs these days . Several of us have multiple radios if someone has something other than gmrs we can relay.

27. The Following Member Says Thanks to Tom For This Post:

Pineapples (August 9th, 2022)

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    2016 Rubicon, Belly Armor, MC 2.5 GC Lift
    User Name
    JGRubicon
    Real Name
    Jason
    Thanks Given

Circling back to this. I impulse bought a pair of Baofeng G11S, but one had display issues, so I returned them. I am ready to buy a pair again, or a vehicle mounted and a hand held.

Anyone have a current personal recommendation? I do like the notion of being able to program over a serial connection.

Once this project is finished I may look into a HAM license as well, I have some strong family history in HAM, and my father is a HAM as well, so I probably ought to in addition to it's obvious benefits.

EDIT: Disregard, I found what I was looking for.

29. The Following Member Says Thanks to JGRubicon For This Post:

Tom (September 25th, 2022)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast