2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default DIY Bead Breaker

Looks like a simple C shape with a scissor jack, I think a jack welded or bolted to a 2" square tube inserted in a receiver hitch would work well too. I usually do this with a bottle jack under my Jeep which can require a lot of adjusting, I like this idea.

Last Online
    17 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Default Re: DIY Bead Breaker

This in one thing I have actually used my high lift for, works well.

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

Same, last time I replaced the valve stems in my tires on my LR4 I used my high lift against the bumper, it worked great.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Just replaced the tires on our Xterra with some really nice Coopers. Whenever I can I like to get a new tool and try stuff myself, so:

I built a simple bead breaker using an RV leveling jack and a scrap of 2x2. I cut the foot down for a smaller "press" and put duck tape on it to protect the tire. I inserted that into the receiver hitch andi t works great, just cranked it down with an impact and the bead popped right off. It's dual purpose, I can put it on the back of my offroad trailer to use as a leveling jack so when it's not hooked up to the Jeep it will not tip backwards when I move stuff. Breaking beads was easy with this, and it's fun to make tools.

I bought a bubble balancer and some weights, it's easy to use. You level the bubble, put the tire on, put the weights on top of the tire wherever it's light until the bubble is centered then stick the weights on. Super easy.

I bought two Harbor Freight tire irons and used them to take two tires off the wheels and mount two others. Total B***h , not worth DIYing. I gave up after two and had the others done at King's Tires on Federal. I'm glad I have the skill set now, should I have to boot a tire on trail I can (it that ever comes up) but it is soooo not worth the time and effort to do this at home.

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 933 Posts

Paul previously posted:
    "Just replaced the tires on our Xterra with some really nice Coopers. Whenever I can I like to get a new tool and try stuff myself, so:

I built a simple bead breaker using an RV leveling jack and a scrap of 2x2. I cut the foot down for a smaller "press" and put duck tape on it to protect the tire. I inserted that into the receiver hitch andi t works great, just cranked it down with an impact and the bead popped right off. It's dual purpose, I can put it on the back of my offroad trailer to use as a leveling jack so when it's not hooked up to the Jeep it will not tip backwards when I move stuff. Breaking beads was easy with this, and it's fun to make tools.

I bought a bubble balancer and some weights, it's easy to use. You level the bubble, put the tire on, put the weights on top of the tire wherever it's light until the bubble is centered then stick the weights on. Super easy.

I bought two Harbor Freight tire irons and used them to take two tires off the wheels and mount two others. Total B***h , not worth DIYing. I gave up after two and had the others done at King's Tires on Federal. I'm glad I have the skill set now, should I have to boot a tire on trail I can (it that ever comes up) but it is soooo not worth the time and effort to do this at home."

I really liked those tire when I had em. Got close to 60k on them. Great traction on everything except ice.

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

I'd like to get a leveling jack like that to use in the rear of my trailer also. I don't have any welding equipment or skills. Interested in welding up a second one on commission?

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

My welding is not worth paying for, I'd be happy to do it for free for you. However, you can easily bolt it too, it was just quicker this way for me. this is the jack I used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZOJADQ...roduct_details and a scrap of 2" square tube I had, you can pick that up almost anywhere. You can see the mounting side of the jack is predrilled for that, I guess they usually bolt up to the bottom of an RV frame.

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

open_circuit (March 13th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

So I had given up on this and put it in my scrap bin, which also had a stock tire carrier and a frame I made a long time ago for a bumper dumper. The bumper dumper sat too high, my feet were off the ground using it which was both fun and not fun when I learned not to swing my feet... so I was emptying the bin and randomly put the tire carrier on top of the bumper dumper frame and it fit nicely, my mind started running and it turned into a pretty effective tire tool. I welded the tire carrier to the bumper dumper frame and added a round piece on top, 33s on and off were pretty easy with just tire pliers. I only saved about $100.00 doing it myself, but avoiding the hassle of taking the tires to a store was worth it alone. I have a basic bubble balancer from amazon that I used too.