4x4
    2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
    User Name
    Gretchen
    Real Name
    Gretchen
    Thanks Given

Default Junk

And once again I am reminded of my terrible mistake installing Rough Country on my precious baby Jeep. I hate this garbage and if I only waited a couple more months I could have bought what I really wanted but Noooooo I had to have my Big Mac right now, oh boy is that poison tasty. Instant gratification is such a terrible thing, fortunately the lift kit is the only RC product on my Jeep and part of it has already been replaced.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Junk

I had RC shocks on my old tj and they were blown pretty early on. Iíd go with Bilstein or Fox shocks depending on your lift.

Nice to meet you at the Post office today 🖐🏼

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

Gretchen (December 28th, 2021)

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Yea, I get the sentiment. It's hard right now with some of the supply chain issues. Wait 3-4 months (maybe longer) for good parts or get your crap parts in 2 days from Amazon. So it goes.

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to Steve-O For This Post:

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
    User Name
    Gretchen
    Real Name
    Gretchen
    Thanks Given

RockyMtRebel previously posted:
    "I had RC shocks on my old tj and they were blown pretty early on. Iíd go with Bilstein or Fox shocks depending on your lift.

Nice to meet you at the Post office today "

I originally wanted the Teraflex Falcon 3.3 piggy back but I was thinking how bad could the RC flagship shocks really be. THese shocks have only been on for a year and last spring one of the hoses broke off of the remote reservoir when I was doing a very mild wheeling trip over in Grand Junction leaving a nice oil slick all over the trail. Most likely I will end up with Fox but that will have to wait because I just ordered a couple of days ago the Artec full aluminum belly pan, that set me back a few dollars. For now I'm hoping RC will send me a replacement bracket or maybe I just keep the Gorilla tape so all can see my foolish mistake.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
    User Name
    Gretchen
    Real Name
    Gretchen
    Thanks Given

Steve-O previously posted:
    "Yea, I get the sentiment. It's hard right now with some of the supply chain issues. Wait 3-4 months (maybe longer) for good parts or get your crap parts in 2 days from Amazon. So it goes."

So true, I'm replacing this lift kit piece by piece and getting parts has been difficult. I ordered Rock Krawler coil springs, I received the rear and the front never came.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Yea, that Artec full skid system is nice but $$$$. I ordered the Westin oil pan skid last night since the oil pan seems to be the most vulnerable (and the Westin skid was only $160 so I figured why not). I have installed differential guards already but hesitant on a full skid system due to the additional weight.

Iíve heard great things about Rancho adjustable shocks that come with their 2Ē lift. They are supposed to be comparable to the Falcon 3.3 at a much better price.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
    User Name
    Gretchen
    Real Name
    Gretchen
    Thanks Given

That's Funny, that's what I said when I bought the RC lift, "Why not". Lesson learned for me and I will no longer cater to my instant gratification mentality not implying that's where you are at. So now when I buy product I wait until it fits into the budget.

I do a lot of camping Spring through Fall and I am consistently carrying a lot of weight and dragging bottom makes me nervous therefore the full belly pan from Artec makes sense since I wheel and camp mostly by myself. I guess when it comes right down to it it all depends on what we are using our rigs for and the level of comfort we want without compromising other critical parts and pieces. Not only that Artec claims that the full aluminum belly pan only adds an extra 10 pounds over the stock steel skids.

Right now the lift on the front is 3.5+ on the front and 4.5+ on the rear, the plus being the addition of the correction pads for the coil springs which could be 3/8-1/2" extra. So I am definitely not going down to a 2" lift. Not sure where I'm going with the shocks yet but Bilstein, Fox or King are at the top of the list.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    RockyMtRebel
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Just Empty Every Pocket 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nice looking rig your have, thatís for sure! Looking forward to wheeling with you!

11. The Following Member Says Thanks to RockyMtRebel For This Post:

Last Online
    16 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    '06 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    User Name
    TDash
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks Given

I have learned right now budget isn't the only obstacle, being picky to exactly what you want doesn't always work out if you need a part in a reasonable amount of time. I would have had to wait a couple more months on top of the 2 months i had already waited for my bead lock rings if I wanted to hold out for what I originally was looking at Trail Ready, so I went with the Race Lines. I ordered an ARB twin compressor back in June time frame and it's finally supposed to be coming in the next couple weeks. Waited many months for the PSC hydro assist steering. I also really wanted Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tires but I couldn't justify waiting until them maybe being ready in Summer 2022. I wanted black colored ORIs that were ordered back in June of 2021, only 1 set of them came in so I settled on the "clear" color.

Anyway just wanted to give you a heads up in case you need replacement parts, I wasn't in a position where I could just wait it out because my truck couldn't just use old parts I had installed previously, so if you're replacing a broken part waiting might not be an option either. I'm seeing these supply chain issues in every industry. My dishwasher broke in May 2021 and I ordered a new one back then, still waiting for it. I finally bit the bullet and bought a cheap temporary clearance dishwasher so my wife could stop washing all our dishes by hand until the one we really want is finally ready (now they're saying February but the date has slipped every single month). At my work I have one customer who ordered some switches back in October of 2020 still waiting for delivery and many others with more recent orders waiting until at least Summer of 2022.

In general I 100% always agree with your strategy and apply the same to most areas of my life, I would rather stick it out and wait until I have budget for what I really want rather than compromise but this is a unique and challenging time right now.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
    User Name
    Gretchen
    Real Name
    Gretchen
    Thanks Given

Oh my God! That is madness. I contacted Rough Country this morning and by mid afternoon The part I needed was shipped. I got seriously lucky compared to all the crap youíve been going through.
    TDash previously posted:
    "I have learned right now budget isn't the only obstacle, being picky to exactly what you want doesn't always work out if you need a part in a reasonable amount of time. I would have had to wait a couple more months on top of the 2 months i had already waited for my bead lock rings if I wanted to hold out for what I originally was looking at Trail Ready, so I went with the Race Lines. I ordered an ARB twin compressor back in June time frame and it's finally supposed to be coming in the next couple weeks. Waited many months for the PSC hydro assist steering. I also really wanted Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tires but I couldn't justify waiting until them maybe being ready in Summer 2022. I wanted black colored ORIs that were ordered back in June of 2021, only 1 set of them came in so I settled on the "clear" color.

Anyway just wanted to give you a heads up in case you need replacement parts, I wasn't in a position where I could just wait it out because my truck couldn't just use old parts I had installed previously, so if you're replacing a broken part waiting might not be an option either. I'm seeing these supply chain issues in every industry. My dishwasher broke in May 2021 and I ordered a new one back then, still waiting for it. I finally bit the bullet and bought a cheap temporary clearance dishwasher so my wife could stop washing all our dishes by hand until the one we really want is finally ready (now they're saying February but the date has slipped every single month). At my work I have one customer who ordered some switches back in October of 2020 still waiting for delivery and many others with more recent orders waiting until at least Summer of 2022.

In general I 100% always agree with your strategy and apply the same to most areas of my life, I would rather stick it out and wait until I have budget for what I really want rather than compromise but this is a unique and challenging time right now."

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    LJ, Xterra
    User Name
    Paul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,142 Posts

I have Rough Country coil springs in my Jeep for about 10 years now and they're still doing well (or I've just not noticed the decline...) but I blew 9 RC shocks within the first two years. They were great about warranty service, even overnighted one to me once, but I switched out to other shocks because I kept getting the same result. I'm currently running Rubicon Express shocks and they've been great, but I'm considering a new suspension and 17" wheels this winter.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago
    4x4
    2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
    User Name
    Gretchen
    Real Name
    Gretchen
    Thanks Given

That's pretty frustrating loosing 9 shocks. I lost one and it was pretty disappointing but you're right the customer service is pretty good. I'm hoping the Vertex shocks get through a couple more years, not holding my breathe.