User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Grand county / Moab Public Land Use

https://www.sharetrails.org/grand-co...HtD8Rd_sM#/17/

I'm not sure how I feel about this given the first sentence of the post and the opinions with a lack of specifics in the body. IDK if they've actually been to Moab recently, but economic development is all that town is about, and not for the better.

"Very few local jurisdictions have done more to limit economic development opportunities in their area than Grand County in Utah. Now Grand County is looking at misguided public land bills that were passed in Washington County and Emery County in Utah as models for their own public land bill. These county level public land bills tend to be vehicles for expanding restrictive and unnecessary wilderness designations. The land bills also tie the hands of land managers and counties in the long run and prevent them from adapting to shifting priorities in public land management. Grand County has been notoriously hostile to motorized recreation, and we have little confidence that any bill drafted by the county will do anything other than permanently lock up some of the best off-roading areas in the world while making the county dependent on unstable federal funding sources.

Grand County is currently accepting public comment for this proposal, and they need to hear from recreation users that we do not support their effort to lock up federal lands in their county that are owned by all Americans. In order for any proposal to become a reality, Grand County will also need to find federal legislators who are willing to support the proposal. We’ve created an action alert that makes it easy for you to tell Grand County and your elected representatives that you don’t support a Grand County Public Land Proposal, Please fill it out and help us spread the word."

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,011 Posts

Default Re: Grand county / Moab Public Land Use

Paul previously posted:
    "We’ve created an action alert that makes it easy for you to tell Grand County and your elected representatives that you don’t support a Grand County Public Land Proposal, Please fill it out and help us spread the word."

Javascript required for the action alert function to be visible. It appears between the article and the comments. Without JS enabled on the page there is no indication that the "action alert" is on the page aside from the mention in the article.

Message sent!

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Yep, not enough development, not enough tourism.

https://www.recreation.gov/timed-ent...8ie4GipRJrM%3D

"In 2022, Arches National Park will implement a pilot timed entry reservation system.

Each private vehicle entering the park will need a Timed Entry Ticket for each day the vehicle will be in the park between 6 am and 5 pm. The reservation-holder must be in the vehicle with photo identification when you arrive at the park. The Timed Entry Ticket includes a $2.00 reservation fee which is separate from the park entrance fee.

You may pay the park entrance fee by purchasing an Arches National Park entrance pass upon arrival at the park. The park also honors annual or lifetime passes. Valid entrance passes accepted are: Southeast Utah Parks Annual Pass, Interagency Annual Pass, Interagency Senior Annual Pass, Interagency Access Pass, Interagency Lifetime Senior Pass, Interagency Volunteer Pass, Interagency Military Pass, Interagency 4th Grade Pass.

Learn more at go.nps.gov/ArchesTicket about the pilot timed en try reservation system and the park’s efforts to gather data to inform long-term visitor use management at the park.

Arches National Park is in the heart of canyon country in southeastern Utah and is considered one of America’s scenic wonders. The park preserves 76,679 acres of high desert on the Colorado Plateau, punctuated by rocky ridges, canyons, fins, towers, monoliths, pinnacles, and more than 2,000 arches. Elevations in the park range from 4,085 to 5,653 feet above sea level.

Arches National Park becomes extremely crowded during the park’s busy season from March through October, with the highest visitation occurring in May, June, and September. Since 2010, more than 1 million visitors have visited the park each year. "

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I have not followed the timed entry process for RMNP too heavily but from what I've heard - there are positive reviews of it.

I can say, it has stopped one or two last minute "let's visit the park" for me since it has been implemented.

Timed-Entry might become standard practice at high volume parks.

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Presumably the back entrances to Arches (fallen peace officer trail / whatever the sandy wash road is) would not be affected? These entrances aren't staffed anyway.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I have never traveled the back way into Arches. Perhaps it is somewhat like Sand Dunes / Medano Pass I'd assume?

Do the back entrances connect with the main road (and attractions) in Arches?

Last Online
    September 8th, 2023
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "I have never traveled the back way into Arches. Perhaps it is somewhat like Sand Dunes / Medano Pass I'd assume?

Do the back entrances connect with the main road (and attractions) in Arches?"

Yes, the road (Willow Springs Rd) that goes to tower arch and eye of the whale arch connects to the main paved road in Arches NP. There are other parts of Arches I've entered on other trails that I'm not sure have any legal connecting routes to the main road.

Very similar to Medano pass as a back way into Sand Dunes.

The other trail I've been on that passes through Arches is Klondike Bluffs, I think.

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Jim (December 17th, 2021)