4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Recommended FRS & GMRS radios

One other thing to consider between those 2 radios you linked Jim is the difference in power. 15watt vs 40watt. People I've talked with recommend the more powerful version for use in the mountains. Better suited to reach out from a canyon.

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to Spieg For This Post:

Tom (November 27th, 2021)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

If range is a deciding factor it would be best to avoid one of those stubby antennas sold in the midland kits. A good antenna mounted as high as you can get it would be a better bang for the buck there. The advertised power wont make a radio receive any better, but that 40 watt midland radio being the "flagship" model might have a better receiver in it compared to the smaller units.

Now those stubby antennas seem useful if you have clearance concerns, and probably work just fine on the trail if you're communicating with folks using handhelds. But at these frequencies antennas are already small... it seems like what you're giving up when using a loaded stubby is more than its worth.

Just my opinion, but an end fed half wave is a good compromise for me. It's not as sensitive to ground planes and mounting as a 1/4 wave so its good for the Jeep. No phasing coil on the whip like some of the colinear antennas so less of a concern getting caught or damaged hitting branches. It's pretty short at 13 inches or so. It's still a little challenging to get it up high with a soft top in the way, but it works well attached to the roll cage.

Last Online
    28 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 937 Posts

Trevor? previously posted:
    "If range is a deciding factor it would be best to avoid one of those stubby antennas sold in the midland kits. A good antenna mounted as high as you can get it would be a better bang for the buck there. The advertised power wont make a radio receive any better, but that 40 watt midland radio being the "flagship" model might have a better receiver in it compared to the smaller units.

Now those stubby antennas seem useful if you have clearance concerns, and probably work just fine on the trail if you're communicating with folks using handhelds. But at these frequencies antennas are already small... it seems like what you're giving up when using a loaded stubby is more than its worth.

Just my opinion, but an end fed half wave is a good compromise for me. It's not as sensitive to ground planes and mounting as a 1/4 wave so its good for the Jeep. No phasing coil on the whip like some of the colinear antennas so less of a concern getting caught or damaged hitting branches. It's pretty short at 13 inches or so. It's still a little challenging to get it up high with a soft top in the way, but it works well attached to the roll cage."

Do you have a link to your antenna? Agree with everything you said Trevor.

Last Online
    15 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,011 Posts

I'm not learned in this arena (1/4 wave, phasing coil???) but I clicked buy yesterday with Brian's BF15 discount code. I hope this will perform as desired.

If anyone has comment or concern (incorrect / poor antenna or cable, etc), I'd love to hear it while a return is an option.

A bit pricey so I'm hoping it's a "buy it right, buy it once" event.

MXT400 radio
    https://midlandusa.com/collections/o...le-2-way-radio

MXTA26 6db gain 32" antenna
    https://midlandusa.com/collections/m...n-whip-antenna

MXTA24 antenna cable
    https://midlandusa.com/collections/m...-antenna-cable

MXTA23 antenna mount (I'm looking to mount on the tire carrier - any concerns with that???) (ground plane???)
    https://midlandusa.com/collections/m...unting-bracket

21-404C external speaker
    https://midlandusa.com/collections/m...oducts/21-404c

Last Online
    28 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 937 Posts

Jim previously posted:
    "I'm not learned in this arena (1/4 wave, phasing coil???) but I clicked buy yesterday with Brian's BF15 discount code. I hope this will perform as desired.

If anyone has comment or concern (incorrect / poor antenna or cable, etc), I'd love to hear it while a return is an option.

A bit pricey so I'm hoping it's a "buy it right, buy it once" event.

MXT400 radio
    https://midlandusa.com/collections/o...le-2-way-radio

MXTA26 6db gain 32" antenna
    https://midlandusa.com/collections/m...n-whip-antenna

MXTA24 antenna cable
    https://midlandusa.com/collections/m...-antenna-cable

MXTA23 antenna mount (I'm looking to mount on the tire carrier - any concerns with that???) (ground plane???)
    https://midlandusa.com/collections/m...unting-bracket

21-404C external speaker
    https://midlandusa.com/collections/m...oducts/21-404c"

As long as you’ve verified the antenna cable fittings match all the connectors elsewhere then looks good to me. To deal with any ground plane issues on my rig I ran a fairly heavy wire from the mount in through the tail gate and connected it to a cleaned body mount bolt.

Not quite as ideal as a plane at the base of the antenna but very acceptable.

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to Tom For This Post:

Jim (November 27th, 2021)

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Pretty much the same thing I ordered Jim, minus the external speaker and antenna mount.

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to Spieg For This Post:

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

Tom previously posted:
    "Do you have a link to your antenna?"

I'm using this Laird: https://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...oducts_id=3235

Its cut to tune. I'm cut for 70cm, but it claims it should work up to 470Mhz so it should work on GMRS. I can hear GMRS just fine even though I am a little long for that frequency.

If I had to do it again I would buy the model without the spring. https://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...oducts_id=3231
    The spring is a little stiff for an antenna that's so short. I have the VHF model as well for 2m and the spring works well for that element length, but I'm not sure its worth it for the UHF size.

There are a pair of PCTEL maxrad antennas that appear to be almost exactly the same.

Given the size of our vehicles the run lengths are so short that any decent RG-58 or larger cable is sufficient. I probably wouldn't run the really small stuff like RG-174. The thing to look out for is avoiding any sharp bends in the cable when you install it. Try to give it a bend radius of at least an inch to 2 inches and a bit more if you end up using a larger diameter cable. If you have pre-terminated cable (connectors already installed) and you have some extra length try to make a round coil 5-6 inches in diameter and hide it out of the way. Gentle bends are key with coax, otherwise the center conductor can start to work its way towards the shield over time and that will increase losses in the cable.

11. The Following 2 Members Say Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Jim (November 27th, 2021),Tom (February 3rd, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "MXTA26 6db gain 32" antenna"

It's hard to tell what the element lengths are in fractional wavelengths from the information they provide, but it is pretty clear that is a colinear antenna. They achieve greater gain by effectively stacking multiple antennas on top of one another in a line, so they work in tandem to put out more energy toward the horizon than a regular 1/4 wave whip would. The little spiral along is length is a phasing coil, it slows down the electrical signal by 180 degrees so the top and bottom sections are resonating in phase, and thus working constructively in the directions you want it to work.

High gain antennas work by focusing RF in particular directions. There is a finite amount of energy the radio can generate, but if you focus it in a particular direction it is as if you are using more power in that direction, and less power in other directions, compared to a simpler antenna. These kinds like the midland you cite radiate in all compass directions, but they focus more energy low towards the horizon. If you are trying to communicate with someone who is at a much higher or lower elevation then you or a repeater up on a mountain top they can actually work against you somewhat. They are fantastic on relatively flat terrain.

Again though it's one of those things that will likely work just fine under 90% of the situations you will likely find yourself in. In this case you could probably save $25-$30 and get a shorter end-fed half wave and get similar results in the mountains. That little coil can catch horizontal sticks and get yanked off the mount. There are models out there that have a closed coil, but I do not believe they are as structurally sound as the open coil type if the element strikes a branch at a higher speed. Another trade-off is that the midland model you reference will likely work well out of the box, but the Laird half wave will require some cutting/tuning which can require some specialized measurement tools.

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

Looks like Midland came out with a new GMRS mobile. 50 watts, split-tone capable, can select narrow or wide bandwidth and IP66 rated.

https://midlandusa.com/collections/m...Etwo-way-radio
    https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog...0-is-here.html

Last Online
    15 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

So, how likely would I/we have need for the new features? They sound desirable (should I be solo in a remote area looking to use a repeater) but should I consider selling my still in the box 400 and get the 500?

Last Online
    November 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

They had a 50 watt model out a couple of years ago and had to pull it off the market because it had problems. Not sure if the extra 10 watts makes that much difference...

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

Based on a lot of the responses on this forum I would expect that the split-tones and bandwidth features may not be that valuable to most of the folks here. I think most folks here are looking for a easy to use and reliable trail radio. Split-tones and selectable bandwidth would be useful if you want to use the repeater systems around Denver.

I do think the IP66 rating could be important to anyone who values reliability. It may also make some mounting options more appealing for people who run without a top. Hopefully Midland seals up the other models in the lineup in the future.

If it were me I wouldn't switch from the 400 to the 500 over a 10W gain in power. Power doesn't help you receive any better, so unless you're talking to other high-power users at long range then I don't see that coming in handy all that often. Maybe I would switch on account of the IP66 raiting if I was going to mount it in a spot where it could get a little rain on it... but then it would depend what it would ultimately cost me to switch. I do wish my ICOM had an IP raiting.

It's just my opinion but I still think you have a nice radio, Jim. It can be kind of a bummer though whenever you buy something and the new model comes out before you get a chance to use the one you got.

18. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

FINOCJ (February 3rd, 2022)

Last Online
    15 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Trevor? previously posted:
    "It's just my opinion but I still think you have a nice radio, Jim. It can be kind of a bummer though whenever you buy something and the new model comes out before you get a chance to use the one you got."

You too (I think you purchased the 400??). I don't get too tied up in buyer's remorse (I don't often buy stuff and often it's used anyway) but this time it does make me ponder the switch. For day-trail use, I'm content. For heading out solo which I hope to do more of, the extra features make me think (though all of this is out the window once Starlink is running for mobile users).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123