99 XJ
    User Name
    4x4JeePmaNthINg
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Default Camping ideas

Hey all,
    Trying to gather ideas for camping within 5hrs of foco.
    Most of the close area is gone obviously.

I was thinking Buena Vista or behind cameron pass to steamboat area maybe? Anywhere I could have a fire and not camp In a pre made site would be ideal, I like keeping off the regular spots and Bush camp a bit more. All my other go to places are much further away.

Any ideas are welcome, thank you.

Last Online
    41 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,024 Times in 2,012 Posts

Default Re: Camping ideas

The Flat tops, Adams Lake - high on my list - I wish to re-visit this summer.

As you mention Cameron Pass - the area south/southeast of Gould interests me - I was there once and mentally marked a to-return note.

Buffalo Pass (Steamboat Springs (north of there) east to Coalmont CO (north park)) - the west side is heavily used. I'm not certain of the pass itself or the east side.

Laramie River Valley - the west side of the valley has trails and some camp spots. Honholz lakes area. One can drive up and over to the Sand Flats.

Cherokee Park / road 80c north of Red Feather Lakes - I've not camped there but a consideration.

Fire - all depends upon area restrictions.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 972 Posts

Default Re: Camping ideas

I just got a notification from Brant Wobig at USFS that most all northern districts are going into stage 1 fire restrictions...here are the details:

Find this news online: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD926051
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @usfsarp
    National Forests along northern Front Range enter fire restrictions
    Grand County bans all campfires as fire danger increases
    FORT COLLINS, Colo. (June 24, 2021) – Due to the forecast of continuing dry and warm conditions, the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests’ Clear Creek, Boulder and Canyon Lakes ranger districts along with the Pawnee National Grassland are enacting Stage 1 fire restrictions effective at 12:01 a.m. Friday, June 25. Stage 1 fire restrictions limit where and what type of fires visitors can have and remain in place until rescinded.
    The following is PROHIBITED under Stage 1 Fire Restrictions:

• Igniting, building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire (including fires fueled by charcoal or briquettes) outside of a permanent metal or concrete fire pit or grate that the Forest Service has installed and maintained at its developed recreation sites (campgrounds and picnic areas)
    • Smoking, except in an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
    • Operating a chainsaw without an effective and properly installed spark arrestor, a fire extinguisher kept with the operator, and a shovel.
    • Blasting, welding, or operating a torch with an open flame without being in a cleared area of at least 10 feet in diameter and having a fire extinguisher kept with the operator
    • Using an explosive. This includes but is not limited to fuses, blasting caps, fireworks, rockets, exploding targets, tracers, and incendiary ammunition. (Fireworks are always prohibited on National Forest lands).
    • Discharging a firearm, unless lawfully hunting will be prohibited only in Boulder, Gilpin and Clear Creek Counties to align with county fire restrictions.

Violation of Stage 1 fire restrictions could result in a maximum fine of $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for more than six months, or both. If responsible for causing a wildfire, one could be held accountable for suppression costs of that fire.
    West of the Continental Divide in Grand County, fire restrictions have been elevated to stage 2, prohibiting all campfires, even in campgrounds, as well as smoking outdoors and target shooting. Northwestern Colorado is experiencing extreme to exceptional drought conditions.
    Be sure to visit the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests’ Know Before You Go page to see fire restriction orders and maps.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts