User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

Default Re: WANTED: Hi lift jack

Another option:
    https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartD...d-Carrying-Bag

I bought one of these from some other surplus shop for my van. I think they were intended for use on AM general humvees. I had to make a little adapter to cradle my axle tube also. They're rated for 3.5 tons, have more stroke than a lot of bottle jacks, packs smaller than a hilift, no oil to leak out, stable. You turn the input of a little planetary gearbox to run it up and down... makes it easier but takes awhile.

I don't think I paid more than $50 for mine. Agile Offroad sells them for absurd prices, but they include an adapter.

I've used my hilift twice. Once when I was high-centered and lifting the rear put the front tires on the ground. I then drove off the jack. The other time I used one was to pull out some old shrubs that were in-front of my house with a chain, a strap, and a tree.

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Steve-O (June 5th, 2021)

Last Online
    5 Days Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

Two more things... if you want a 60" but you find a deal on a 48", you can shop around and find just the 60" bar for sale and swap it out. I bought a 60" bar from Summit for something like $25 a few years ago.

Lastly, hilift makes a little shovel/hammer/axe/pick kit. The 2 piece handle is a pain to use, but if you get a die-grinder with a long enough bit, you can grind some of the weld out of the hilift jack handle (it's rolled and welded tube, not DOM) and then use that as a shovel handle instead. I really only carry the shovel anymore. Someone with a metal-fab shop could probably make a shovel head like that and sell em.

4. The Following Member Says Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Steve-O (June 5th, 2021)

Last Online
    July 30th, 2022
    4x4
    1987 Jeep Comanche, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    derf
    Real Name
    Roy
    Thanks Given

I have a 60" jack I'm not using. I'd part with it for probably $50 if you want it.

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

newracer previously posted:
    "A bottle jack would be more stable and would not need to lift the vehicle as high as you just push up the suspension rather than lift the vehicle enough for the suspension to fully droop and then get the tire off the ground."

Best practice is to chain/strap axle to frame to prevent suspension from drooping while lifting. This gets tire off the ground at a much lower lift height.

Cesare Pavese

7. The Following Member Says Thanks to xaza For This Post:

Tom (June 5th, 2021)

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

That's my method too. It removes a whole bunch of "sketchiness" that can happen on vehicles with a fair bit of suspension travel.

Last Online
    15 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2012 Rock Ware Buggy & 2007 JKUR
    User Name
    newracer
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

Brucker previously posted:
    "Really sounds like you are afraid of the Hi Lift jacks as if not used properly, things could go wrong. But as with any tool, they do carry their inherent risks, but if one learns to properly use the tool, they can minimize that risk greatly. Think about table saws, large hydraulic presses, firearms, etc. Heck even bottle jacks carry huge consequences if not used correctly. Personally, I would rather carry as many things as I can that can help get me home. Might be the old "boy scout" mentality of always be prepared, even though I was never a scout. But I would hate to have to rely on others in order to make it home. And being "scared" or "nervous" of a piece of a equipment has never slowed me down, only made me want to learn more in order to not be worried. But to each their own..."

I am not afraid of them but I know that if not used properly they can be a disaster. In the posted situation it it appears to be a slight slope with snow on the ground. IMO a bottle jack would be a much better choice in that situation for the already stated reasons.

xaza previously posted:
    "Best practice is to chain/strap axle to frame to prevent suspension from drooping while lifting. This gets tire off the ground at a much lower lift height."

Jim previously posted:
    "That's my method too. It removes a whole bunch of "sketchiness" that can happen on vehicles with a fair bit of suspension travel."

Using a bottle jack eliminates that need. I have also seen the adapters that attach the hi-lift to the wheel.

Last Online
    July 27th, 2022
    4x4
    2011 G-Wagen and 2006 Range Rover
    User Name
    speedkills
    Real Name
    Shane
    Thanks Given

I have the wheel adapter, just didn't feel the need to use it in that situation. I could have chained up the axle, or just put a few more strokes on the jack, which I chose to do instead. I don't get all of the fear surrounding hi-lifts. I mean, I get a little of it, but not all of it. In this situation, everyone around knew to avoid it and that it was potentially unstable. But what would have happened if it tipped? It's not like they explode. The truck would have moved over to the left or right a foot or two on the front end. So what? Nobody was under it, nobody planned to get under it in this situation. All we needed was a wheel off the ground, and we got it, so I didn't feel any extra effort was justified. I chose the hi-lift here, I had a bottle, but the front bumper had nice recesses made for a high-lift to lock into which I liked, and it was just easy. I got the rig able to finish wheeling again, and didn't feel like I put anyone at risk. If I did, teach me how I put people at risk and I will be more careful next time and make sure I don't do that.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Usually it's pilot error with the hilift, you can find a lot of videos of it. The guy below puts his face over the handle, there is an obvious fix for that. I don't know why he keeps messing with the mechanism either, something is up there too. I stopped carrying mine because there is nothing I can do with it that I can't do with something else, plus it's heavy and bulky. I find two bottle jacks are more useful and take up less space. For sleeving stuff I carry about 1.5' of superstrut, a chain and some bolts that fit inside the links. I have a small hacksaw too for adjusments. You can put the superstrut next to a steering link, control arm, trackbar, frame crack, whatever, wrap it with the chain and then put the bolts through and tighten the whole thing up like a python. The chain and bolts can also reconnect axle brackets and leaf springs to get you off a trail.

12. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Steve-O (June 15th, 2021)

Last Online
    5 Days Ago
    4x4
    Jeep TJ, Nissan Xterra, Ford E350
    User Name
    Trevor?
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "I don't know why he keeps messing with the mechanism either, something is up there too."

Mine has done that if the mechanism is not lubricated. The pins can stick and resist retracting under the pressure of the springs unless you give them a little wiggle. An example of why its a good idea to carry some spray lubricant or grease and to make sure everything is working properly before you start your lift... so you can keep both hands on the jack.

These things definitely deserve a healthy dose of respect. Lots of potential energy. Between maintaining awareness of the plane of the handle and the stability of the vehicle they can require a lot of attention.

14. The Following 4 Members Say Thanks to Trevor? For This Post:

Java (June 7th, 2021),speedkills (June 7th, 2021),TDash (June 7th, 2021),Tom (June 7th, 2021)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

For sure you always need to lube them, and often hit them with a hammer in the winter to get things going but his seems to be engaging smoothly, just not releasing. In the video I posted of the 4Runner you can see Brad release the same thing, then it works on it's own. I think he's got a notched shaft or a dead spring(s)?? IDK, glad it wasn't my face.

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 965 Posts

17. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post: