Some have asked all what I had to do to get it going. Really not all that much. Just what I wrote before:
Brucker previously posted:
I replaced the old leaking battery and repaired all the damage that it caused. I changed all the fluids and filters. Also removed and cleaned the carburetor and the gas tank. And also cleaned up the distributor, points, and plugs. I wanted to get "proof of life" before I reassembled it all. So after I got it to turn over, I took this short video of it's first start even though it's just running off starting fluid. Now that I know for a fact it will run, I will get the fuel cell mounted again and plumbed, and then get it started and running, and take it for a drive!
The leaking battery and old fuel in the tank were the most work. This thing is so simple and basic that I would imagine a full overhaul out in the field would not only be very doable, it still wouldn't be that much effort. Imagine if things were still made that way today!
As for the old battery, it exploded, leaked and started corroding things. Here is a look at the battery box and what the box was attached to after pulling the battery and removing the liquid:
I cleaned up the affected areas after neutralizing the acid and prepped them for paint without destroying as much as possible of the original:
Then tried to match the color the best I could and then reassembled:
The original 3 piece battery box was welded together to make a 2 piece box some ages ago. This makes getting the battery in and out, difficult. So I ordered a new, reproduction unit. If it is decent quality, I will install it when it arrives.