4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Default Re: I (also) bought a TJ

You're right it was Ch 20, not 21! Yup I was just listening. And it's currently parked in my garage facing west, so the windshield it to the north, I might drive around my block today at 5 and see what changes based upon my orientation

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Safelite replacing the cracked windshield today! Not a bad deal, 10% off with AAA. Best part is I don't have to get up

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Anybody with a TJ/LJ Rubicon ever drop the skid plate to remove the transmission? What did you do about the diff locker compressors? I really don't want to disconnect it all (2 little hoses and 2 electrical connectors for each compressor, I'm basically guaranteed to break one of the red connector locks or one of the plastic nipples trying to get a hose off). I think if I try and hang the whole assembly up on zip ties it will get it the way when it's time to pull the transmission out...

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 976 Posts

Yes... disconnect the hoses and electrical plugs...clean first and be gentle but not that big of a deal. A soft toothbrush helps clean up stuff so it easier to work the connectors free. I spray an electrical connector cleaner first...kind of like brake cleaner but won't damage plastic.

This stuff
    https://www.acehardware.com/departme...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Steve-O (March 13th, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

So uh, I think my pilot bearing puller just pulled out more than it's supposed to. I believe I pulled out the pilot bushing along with the pilot bearing (left). No idea how to separate these two and my kit only came with a new bearing (right)

This is quickly becoming the project from hell. Going on two weeks now because I work 60-70 hrs a week, only have a little time on the weekends, now I've been sick the last 3 days. 🤬

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

I believe your flywheel is fine (a standard resurface as part of a clutch job might be needed)...those pieces are all part of the pilot bearing. It's uses a kind of weird large bearing instead of the traditional small pilot bushing/bearing like supplied in your kit.

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Steve-O (March 26th, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

If it was me I'd replace the flywheel with a LUK one and get a National throwout bearing with the steel cage instead of the plastic cage OEM style. I had a similar experience doing my clutch, PITA from start to finish.

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Thanks for the quick replies. Ok so crown/omix sell the larger bearing/bushing thing, just ordered one and should be here tomorrow. Doesn't seem like LuK really sent me the right thing in the kit. Last question is how the new one will go in? I read your supposed to just press/tap it in dry. What's the yellow gunk on the back of this thing?

And yea Paul I regret everything CNS Transmission did an amazing job for a good price on the YJ's clutch, not sure why I felt compelled to do this myself. I may consider the additional parts, don't really want to drag this project out any longer...

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

There are quite few different pilot bearings used behind the 4.0, and even in the TJ series as some different transmissions. Looks like the kit got it mixed up. A bearing would typically be lubed on the interior but pressed in dry on the outside so the outer race doesn't turn inside the flywheel recess. I'd put the bearing in the freezer, put heat on the flywheel and then drive it in.

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

So I got the Jeep all back together, started it up and it sounds great, no rattling sound from the bellhousing. Only problem is I can't shift into any gear with the engine running. There is what feels like good tension in the clutch pedal, I have no idea what could have gone wrong. Please help me

Praying that maybe my slave cylinder decided to die while I had it out

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

I'd guess your slave cylinder isn't seated correctly; I'm basing that guess on the replacement ones coming with a plastic retainer on the end that you have to leave on when you install it, it breaks when you press the pedal the first time and seats the rod. IDK how you can seat it correctly if you reuse the old slave (not that it can't be done, just not by me) so possibly if you reused the old one and ofcourse didn't have a new plastic retainer it might not have seated correctly.

16. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Steve-O (April 2nd, 2022)

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Thanks Paul, I'll pull that put again and check. Also side note for troubleshooting, the Jeep definitely doesn't start without pressing the clutch pedal

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    03 tj
    User Name
    TjSteveA
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Check your transfer case make sure it didn’t pop into neutral. Mine did that when I did my clutch and I couldn’t figure out till I looked at the transfer case rod on the body.

19. The Following Member Says Thanks to TjSteveA For This Post:

Steve-O (April 2nd, 2022)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Steve-O previously posted:
    "Thanks Paul, I'll pull that put again and check. Also side note for troubleshooting, the Jeep definitely doesn't start without pressing the clutch pedal"

That's the clutch safety switch doing it's job, and just FYI there is a super simple built in bypass to that so you can start in gear offroad, you just move the fuse that's in position 19 to position 20.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Confirmed the slave cylinder is seating correctly in the clutch fork. I'm really quite certain I put the clutch disk on facing the proper way ("plateau" facing the pressure plate), but I suppose there's a non-zero probability I still screwed it up. If I drove in the pilot bearing too far, or not far enough, could this be causing my problem? Is there any reason I would need to adjust the clutch pedal after a new clutch install? I didn't think that was necessary with a hydraulic system

Also Steve thanks for that I'll check that as well.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Doing some research and coming up empty. Did have a bright idea to pull the starter and take a look inside using a cheap $20 borescope. I'll have my wife push the clutch in and see if everything is moving properly. Also should be able to see if I put the clutch disk in backwards. But that will have to wait, wife and I are going to Mexico for her birthday. After that is a work trip. Hopefully I'll have the Jeep ready to go in time for Hole in the Rock in May 😅

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Well for anyone paying attention, the TJ is performing at 110% now. Funny story so you can laugh at me. So after the clutch wouldn’t disengage, I ordered a new master/slave clutch assembly and changed that out. No dice. I said screw it and called AAA and got it towed to a transmission shop I like. Get a call from them an hour later and they said “hey was this an intermittent problem or all the time?” I said it was all the time, I absolutely could not shift into any gear with the engine running, and she said “oh…well my mechanic is driving it around the parking lot right now, says it shifts like a dream..”

W.T.F.

As near as we can all figure, there was something just not lining up/maybe an air bubble in the clutch line, and the action of loading the Jeep up on the flatbed and driving it across town somehow fixed it. So very odd…then Nick helped me get the new T-case shift cable from Novak Conversions precisely adjusted so that works great now and performed perfectly on the Hole in the Rock trip.

Lastly, because the side-of-the-tire-carrier-mounted jerry can holder was a total fail, I had to have the can in my Jeep the entire trip which isn’t ideal. So I was in the market for a new mounting location. Didn’t want to mount it on the back of the spare tire because that’s where the trasharoo is going to go. Found this cool solution on Extreme Terrain and I’m very happy with it so far.

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,018 Posts

Good to hear the trans is working - odd resolution - but good to have nonetheless.

Thank you for the info on the can carrier. I have two (exact?!) cans. The company has a waiting list for their out-of-stock carrier. I plan to mount in the same location.

Does the passenger door contact the can?

EDIT: this looks like the item - frame mount - interesting
    https://www.extremeterrain.com/barri...t-j102520.html

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "I plan to mount in the same location."

glad the TJ working nicely....JMO, but I am not a fan of that location - its common on old flatfender jeeps (and very common on willys like my 58)....the inward/pinching towards the front angle of the front fenders helps provide more protection on the old jeeps than the vertical, parallel sided jeeps starting with the cj5. A lot of later cjs carried cans on the side of the rear quarter panel - same place the tire carrier was on early jeeps. In either case, I just think anything on the side of the jeep is super exposed to tight spaces/trees/rocks when off camber. When I think of where I have some rock rash and whatnot - its usually on the side by the A-pillar and along the rear quarter panel. Granted, I don't know if there is any 'great' solution for extra gas - I initially carried a can mounted on the rear mounted spare - but its not ideal either. If it were me, I'd still opt for something that mounted rear bumper in some way - or get a rack that hold it adjacent to the spare tire in some way (probably expensive)? Maybe not a viable solution for a TJ, but my solution was to add a second plumbed tank under the jeep so with the flick of a switch, I can pull full from either tank. Of course, the OEM tank for my cj is under the seat - which leaves lots of room under the rear to frame mount a tank. Not sure what size tank the TJ has (15 or 20 gal?), but I would guess someone somewhere makes an aftermarket larger tank - even if its only 5 gallon bigger - that is the same size as an aux can. I often rank the second fuel tank as one of the top 2 upgrades I've ever made to my jeep - plenty of fuel, no stupid cans etc.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Jim: that’s the one. Yup, frame mount but no drill. I like that it’s two pieces with the trailer hitch connection, that way I can leave the can holder behind when I’m not on a long camping/wheeling trip, which is most of the time. I’ll say this about the can, the pinch joint around the outside of the can sticks out, where most go inward. It can still fit in this can holder, but you kind of have to wedge it in there. It’s definitely made for most cans that have that joint going inward. Passenger door does not hit the can, there’s a good few inches in between based on how my door straps are set

James: I appreciate your insight there. When I’m using it, the fact that it sticks out is definitely going to be a factor. My logic is that if I need to bring the can, that means I’ll be on a longer camping/over landing trip that is probably less intense trails. This logic is immediately proven wrong by Hole in the Rock sooo I guess we will just wait and see haha.

What I really wanted was a basket thing that attaches to the tire carrier and the basket rests above the tire, and then something to mount two cans, one on either side, perpendicular to the spare tire. Couldn’t really find what I was looking for so decided to try this for now

27. The Following Member Says Thanks to Steve-O For This Post:

FINOCJ (June 7th, 2022)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast